X

New guy, with a katana 750 question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy, with a katana 750 question

Wanted to say hello to you all and glad to be a part of the katriders family.
    i am in the process of buying my first katana (and sportbike) but have a question regarding whether i should or not.
    It is a 2000 katana 750 with 9,000+ miles. Bike is in great shape except: the owner states that the bike smokes on start up because the fuel valve (or petcock) is bad and leaks gas into the oil and thus burns it when bike sits overnight. It is air cooled so is not a head gasket. So if this is true, my concern is ok, i buy a rebuild kit for 25 bucks and fix the petcock, change the oil and run fresh oil and filter in it. I do not know however how long he has rode it this way with "gas wshing" and although he states it runs great, does this all sound accurate? He states the smoke is white. I'm concerned about the the cylinders and rings and bearings being burned from this. He will sell it to me for 1000. Should i get this? Is it worth 1000 if it runs good now? I told him i am going to pay to change the oil, so i can smell and check the condition of the oil before i ride it to not damage the engine. He said that was fine.
    Hope someone can help figure this out by tomorrow.

sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.
    Last edited by hukeedo; 09-09-2012, 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would be wary of someone that would still run an engine when they know it to be full of gas. Your concerns are valid, for 1000$ I would walk away because it wasn't taken care of. It also is not only a pet cock problem but a carb problem as well.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Sounds like the owner didn't understand enough to run it on the "ON" position. It might be a good score if it checks out.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'm afraid not to get it and lose out on a potentially good bike. I know it books for 2300 still but its not worth a dime to me if the motor is toasted. So if I go and check I out, what should I listen for or pay particular attention to considering this problem? I guess in my mind I'm thinking if it runs good and sounds tight then new oil and repairing the problem should be ok. If it is a carb problem, what would cause that and are the carbs easy to get out and work on on these machines? And thank you guys for the quick response.

Comment

Originally posted by hukeedo View Post
          I'm afraid not to get it and lose out on a potentially good bike. I know it books for 2300 still but its not worth a dime to me if the motor is toasted. So if I go and check I out, what should I listen for or pay particular attention to considering this problem? I guess in my mind I'm thinking if it runs good and sounds tight then new oil and repairing the problem should be ok. If it is a carb problem, what would cause that and are the carbs easy to get out and work on on these machines? And thank you guys for the quick response.
          You should be able to fix the carbs yourself following tips and advice here. Look at how thin the oil is, rub your fingers in it and see if it has any "slime" left to it. If it feels like it's straight gas, imagine what that did to protect metal on metal surfaces. This is a very common problem BTW. Just not knowing how long it's been run like that makes me nervous.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

It's a 2 hour drive to go see the bike. I was just wondering what you all thought if it was even worth it or just hang on to my money and keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by hukeedo View Post
              It's a 2 hour drive to go see the bike. I was just wondering what you all thought if it was even worth it or just hang on to my money and keep looking.
              If that truely is the only problem, and the bike is otherwise in very good shape...

I'd run, not walk to pick it up.

The fuel issue is extreamly common due to the design, and these engines are really tough.

You will need to fix the carbs, as THOSE are the primary issue atm.

The petcock is not causing the problem... even if it does leak.

Pull clean/adjust carbs, fix petcock, new oil, new filter, and ride...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I will go look at the bike at least based on th eadvice.. What do you all think about this one, I have a shot at a 1996 katana 600 in perfect riding condition with 19,000 miles for 1100.Does'nt have the single exhaust like the 750, has duals. But this one is ready to go right now, and i would not have to do any work to it, but not sure on the 600's. Are they good bikes? Performance and all?

Comment

Welcome, Hope all pans out with one of your two bike plans!
                  '94 Katana 600
                  '93 Mazda RX-7

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
                  ― Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Welcome to KR.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Welcome to KR and goodluck.
                      2002 750 Kat
                      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome to KR, Don't just buy the first bike you see......i had a 600 but now have a 750 and wished i got the 750 the first time,but couldn't fine one in yellow then....

I know it prob sounds like a good deal ,but take someone with you who knows bikes....best of luck!
                        I'm outa here

Comment

After alot of thought, and talkign to bike guys at a couple shops, I have decided to pass on the 750 that smokes. Two mechanics told me that gas washing an engine and then riding it, will most certainly damage it from first startup, if not destroy it. the smoke could be oil blow-by from scoring in the cylinders and damaged rings. Basically, its a 1000 dollar pig-in-a-poke. A grand is a grand and it's my only money to get my first sportbike. I dont expect a new one, or a perfect one, but i can buy one that runs good. I am going to check out the 600 Katana tomorrow. Hopefully it pans out.
                          I know it's not near a 750 power,speed,or performance, but it is a sportbike and my first one shouldnt probly be a 170 mph rocket between my legs! I'll let ya all know how it goes tomorrow and if I have it sitting in my garage!
                          Anybody got any opinions on the 600's?

ManQu, I wanted a yellow one too, but black looks pretty good too! I figure I can take care of it, and always sell it next season for at least what i paid,if I want a bigger rocket.

Can you take the baffles out of the 600 exhaust?
                          Last edited by hukeedo; 09-10-2012, 06:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Welcome and good luck
                            Ride like it's your last ride
                            sigpic

Comment

Welcome and good luck with the bike search.

Don't worry about a 750 being a 170 mph monster; it's not. It's a Kat. Katanas aren't really sport bikes. They're basically sport-tourers. You'll be disappointed if you expect one to ride like a GSXR or CBR. I'm not hacking on the Kat at all, it's just that it is what it is and that's an inexpensive, comfortable, reasonably quick all-around bike. That means a lot of compromises and one of the things that had to be sacrificed is performance. I'm a big fan of the 750 Kat over the 600 because of the ergonomics and extra torque. It's more comfortable and makes power easier (at lower rpms) than the 600.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X