X

Heya, 1995 gsxf 600 project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heya, 1995 gsxf 600 project

Hey everyone, thought I would say thanks for all the awesome posts and information out here. I have read and learned a ton from everyone. Anyways, here is my situation.

I found a really good deal on 1995 600 locally. I was looking for a new project and I definitely found it. The bike was 600 bucks and the guy I bought it from said it was running up until 2 months before I bought it. When looking at this beast at first glance I thought no way. But looked a little deeper and noticed fresh tires on the front and back with the nubs and the paint still highly visible. All of the fairing had been ripped off except the front fender. The guy told me it looked way cooler this way when I asked him if he saved any of them. Anyways, he was asking 800 and I plopped 600 in his face and the beginning of my saga has begun.

So a buddy got his truck and we loaded her up and got it in the garage. I started work immediately. I pulled the gas tank off and noticed some sweet duct tape on the carb. I pulled that off and the duct tape on the seat. I also found a couple screw drivers under the seat and behind the carb. The airbox was also hanging half off.

Anyways, after straitening it up a bit, tightening bolts, new gas line, new breather hose where it had been duct taped closed on the carb, new plugs, and new fuel I gave her a try. It sounded like it wanted to start, but no love. Then it started clicking. Wierd, so I jumped on this site and viola. The battery had leaked on the starter solenoid and corroded the heck out of it. I order a new one for 21 bucks, installed it and it started right up.

I ran some seafoam through it and after it made its way through idled like a champ. Super smooth but a lot less powerful than I thought it would be. Took it on the highway and could not get it past 70. So I did some research and wondered if I had a main jet issue. I did use and infared temp reader and noticed the two left headers were 5 times hotter that the two right ones. So now I assumed no gas to the right set of carbs.

Anyways, I pulled up the sweet carb101 tutorial and started breaking down the carbs. I could not pull the carbs all away apart because the duct tape man had also stripped almost every screw on both mounting rails. So I followed the tutorial and broke it down as best I could, bathing everything in carb soak over night. Minus rubber pieces.

I finished up the carbs, turned out the a/f screws 1.75 turns out from dead stop on each carb. Bench synched them to half the first hole. Did my best to adjust the floats, etc.

I got everything hooked back up and as soon as I tried to started it, I started hearing some popping. I am guessing it is afterfire from the exhaust. I did not try to hard to get on it and start it once the afterfire started. My neighbors already sent me a nasty little note from the other day when I was trying to synch the carbs and it let out a major pop.

Anyways, that is where I am at. Tomorrow at lunch I will go after her and see if I can get it started. I do have a mercury carb synch tool that I bought for pretty cheap so I will do that after I get it going.

Thanks for all the great info.

Try taking the a/f screws out to 2.5 turns. . I remember getting my bike in similar condition.
    Congrats and welcome to KR.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

RE.

I'll give it a try. Thanks! You should have seen the gas tank on this thing. The guy had kreemed the tank inside and liquid welded the sending unit on after he failed to put on the rubber gasket. I got a really nice tank on ebay prior to the carb cleaning and have been piecing fairings together too. It will be a really sweet ride when I get it running properly.

Comment

Sounds like this Kat is in good hands, keep up the work

And welcome to KR
        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Welcome and sounds like your on the right track.
          "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
          1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
          2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR. Good luck

Comment

Welcome..
                "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Welcome!
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                  X