X

Planning on getting a 1990 KAT need advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning on getting a 1990 KAT need advice

For the most part I've been running naked bikes. And as part of my bucket list I'm planning on getting and restoring a middle weight bike more suited for sport touring duty and a trip from south FLorida to the Barber Motorsports Museum. I like the what I call the second gen. Kats with the single headlight. The later versions are problably better, but the jellybean styling leaves me cold. No offense to thier owners as styling is always subjective.

I'm seeking advice and input on the single headlight '90-'93 not sure which were the year when they went to the dual headlight style bikes. The good the bad and what to look out for. I've considred the Kawasaki ZX600E, Suzuki SV600, VX800, Honda VFR and BMW K75s. So far I think the GSXR750F gives the most bang for the buck. Appreciate your input

1988-1997 or the "pre" kat is what you are looking for.

Also, GSXR is not equal to GSXF.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The 89-97 GSX750F Katana is a great bike. (Wasn't available in 88, though. That year was just the 600 and 1100.) Don't pass up a 1100 Katana, either if you find one. The big Kat is lots more comfortable than the 750 if you fit it. Bigger engine means lower rpms required for the same speed and less vibration. Comes with an electric-adjustable windshield and more upright seating position, too. I just upgraded from a 750 to an 1100 last fall and my only complaint so far is that the 1100 comes with 16" wheels which limits your tire choices. (Some folks-including me-upgrade it to 17" wheels but that's a whole different subject.)

Oh, and Welcome.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR from NC!!!

Comment

Kind of the same thing for me I always wanted one and lucked out found one cheap an 1100 F parked for 10 years rough but nice to work on and she looks good and you sit well on em!
            Wild-Bill is right we have a 750 F strong fast fun when well tuned if a little heavy though but I feel it's a little narrow for me on short high way trips.

Comment

Welcome to KR.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                X