Prospect from Costa Rica

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect from Costa Rica

Hi people!

My name is Esteban, I'm from Costa Rica. I've been riding for 6 years now, not consecutive years as I've had several breaks in between. I learned to ride in my first bike, a Suzuki GS450L ("custom") 1981. For the age, bike was in top shape until the CDI burned out on me (lucky me, I was at home)... I ended selling it and that was my first break...

Then I found a non running Virago 1000 1984 in decent shape (chrome flaking on some parts only) and one carb rebuild away and I was out on the streets again... I rode my Virago for several years, alternating with my car for commuting and doing weekend rides with the "gang"... Then my bike started acting on me again and my life took an unforeseen turn and I sold it and quit riding (mostly because I didn't have a bike =0)... That was my second break...

Now things are a little more easy for me and I'm looking for another bike. This time I'm looking for something more sportier but not a full race bike. As an old Suzuki fan, the Katana seemed to be a natural progression from my oldy GS450...

Right now I've targeted tree bikes. Here the price of vehicles is almost as twice (because of taxes and such) so don't panic with this ciphers:

red 1991: 3900 USD
    green 1997: 3780 USD
    yellow 1999: 4400 USD

I'm ruling out the red 1991 because it's 6 years older than the 1997 and 200 bucks higher! Today I'm going to see the green 1997 and see how it runs, and then the 1999 if it's still available... I don't know why but I like more the looks of the pre98 over the 98+

If everything comes right... I'll be soon a new active member of this forum... by the way I already downloaded and read most of the service manual and seems as easy to work on as my old GS450, just double of things to work on...

I'll keep you posted!

Welcome to KR.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome!
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

welcome. i've had my 98 Kat 750 for a yr. and a half and added 11k miles. loving every mile!
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome.
          Tejasandre

Comment

Welcome! I think the 89-97 Kats are better looking, too. Not as round looking; more lines and angles.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Welcome! I think the 89-97 Kats are better looking, too. Not as round looking; more lines and angles.
              +1
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Green one not so good...

Hi guys and gals... thanks for the welcome...

Reporting back:

yellow 1999: already sold
                green 1997: not so good shape

I couldn't ride the bike but from visual and static inspection bad things I found:
                - Right fairing slightly different color and visible abrasion (painted over) in the right frame.
                - Right pipe has two big dents.
                - The gauge cluster is cracked in half and not mounted correctly (tied with zip ties)... it even seems like not being the original cluster
                - Mirrors are not the original ones.
                - The fairing has a noticeable gap between the tank and the left fairing
                - The handle bar captures your hand against the tank when turned to the right, without hitting the stop.
                - Rear turn signals not original and left one with stalk broken.
                - Hand made windscreen... not that bad made...

From what is visible, it seems that the bike as been in an accident of important magnitude and I'm afraid that the bike as some frame bending or other most difficult to see imperfections...

The good things...
                - Engine starts at first try when cold and when hot. I thing it's running rich because no choke was needed to start it cold.
                - Engine sounds good at idle and revving... but remember I didn't do a test ride.
                - Brake pads are almost new and feel strong.
                - Clutch is not slipping as far as a "burn out attempt" can test...

I'm almost convinced there's going to be lots of trouble with this bike so I'm almost convinced I'll pass.

Some pictures attached.

Regards.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a major project. I wouldn't give more than about $600 US for it. It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of parts.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to the group!
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                    Black painted seat and rear trim,
                    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Welcome to KR
                      THE DOC
                      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                      mistake when you make it again.
                      sigpic

Comment

welcome
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Lets see the red one

Hi people. I took a closer look at the red 1991 and it seems more promising that I first thought.

The bike as been recently imported to the country and the importer fixed almost everything that was broken to put it to sell. Seller says its original condition was fairly good, although it has very scratched and a little cracked fairings. He fixed them and painted it all. Having fresh paint on it, seem beautiful.

Things I noticed are:
                          - a little missing part on the windscreen
                          - broken front right yellow reflector
                          - missing passenger left foot peg
                          - missing cap on the left fairing
                          - missing seat grab bar
                          - missing the trip odometer reset knob
                          - chain is overly stretched and probably the sprockets need to be changed too

The brake and clutch handles seem to be new, not necessarily the original ones, more likely generic replacements. The same with the mirrors: not the original ones but not bad either.

Owner says it has even 150psi compression on all cylinders, being the minimum standard compression 142psi, seems like engine hasn't been tampered with since new. I don't really need top performance but how much do you guys/gals think it will last to eat through that 8psi that are left???

One good point: It has four into one headers and yoshimura exhaust. I personally prefer dual exhaust but I think I can live with it

Being the only GSX-f left with reasonable prices around here, I think I'll be going for it if you guys/gals give me the green light.... Some pictures attached...
                          Attached Files

Comment

My 1100 has 150psi on all four cylinders - like you said, on the low end but not bad.

How hard is it to get parts in Costa Rica?!
                            1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Comment

I bet for the Kat it's as hard as for my Mazda RX-7... VERY hard...

But I can bought through the internet and I'm used to it...

What do you think about the red '91? good buy or not?

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                              X