X

Advice for Longer Rides

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Longer Rides

I have been riding my '02 Katana 600 for three or four years now and enjoy riding it. However, since buying it, I have become a fan of the longer rides (2+ hours) and I would like to be able to do a bit of traveling on it at some point. On shorter rides, comfort was not an issue, but with the longer rides my hands, arms and back all feel it. I know that when you ride, you are supposed to hold most of your weight on your back to relax the pressure on your arms, but that doesn't work forever. To combat this this, I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer suggestions or advice on my plan to change the bike.

First off, I have read that a bunch of people seem to like the Spiegler Handlebar Conversion kit. I think I'm going to go with the Spiegler bars because in addition to raising the bars up, they also appear to bring the bars a bit closer to the rider (I'm just guessing about this part based on the pictures I've seen, but I'm not sure). I'm hoping this will allow me to utilize a bit more of my Corbin Saddle seat. I'm about 6 feet tall and my butt still doesn't sit back into the saddle, I'm sometimes feel like I'm riding on the gas tank a little bit.

Secondly, I'm going to remove the rear Fender. I realize this doesn't do really anything, I just don't like it.

Thirdly, Cyberpoet's guide on touring recommended gel-palmed gloves, Which I will definitely be looking into.

Fourthly, finding some more comfortable hand grips. Somebody recommended looking into BMW grips.

Fifthly, cruise control. I need to do some more research on this and it will probably take me a while to get around to it and then even longer to get it done, but I haven't scoured the forums on this item yet.

If you have any suggestions, please, let me know!

Gel gloves always felt weird to me; like I had less stability thanks to how the gel lets your hand squirm around a bit on the grip. BMW grips have gotten good press but Cyberpoet talked me into going with new stock grips. They were amazingly good and I've stuck with them. They're about 5 years old now and I'm thinking of replacing them again since the rubber is starting to get firmer than I remember them being when they were new.

As for a cruise control, there's three basic types. I've heard a bunch of people saying good things about wrist rockers. They'll take a lot of the load off your hands but you can't take your hand off the grip without losing speed. Throttle locks are the most common low-cost option. I like the Vista-Cruise and was really happy with it when I rode my Interceptor from Tacoma, WA to Houston, TX. It's not so wonderful if you're seeing a lot of hills, though. Because it just locks the throttle, you lose speed going uphill and gain speed going downhill. If you want true speed control like you'd have in a car, check Squiggy's write-up here: How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana. The photos are temporarily out of commission (Squiggy's aware of this and working on getting them back.) and the original Audiovox CCS100 is hard to find these days but it goes together really nicely and works extremely well. I added a bunch of comments when I did that install on my 750 and those photos are still available.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Grip with you legs on the tank. Keeps most of the weight off your wrist. Havent tried any 'throttle locks' personally.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

A big tank bag to lay down on takes all the weight for your wrists and back (even some off the seat), making long miles much less tiring. When I lay against my tank bag, my elbows rest comfortably on my knees. I'm 6' and have ridden cross country several times on my 05 GSXR750, once in 49 hours.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

I use a throttle lock. it's good for taking a break. I also use a Cramp Buster to use my palm instead of fingers. recommend both. an o-ring on the end will work also. search is yourfriend.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
            A big tank bag to lay down on takes all the weight for your wrists and back (even some off the seat), making long miles much less tiring. When I lay against my tank bag, my elbows rest comfortably on my knees. I'm 6' and have ridden cross country several times on my 05 GSXR750, once in 49 hours.
            Ow? That's tough to do driving, let alone riding.
            First motorcycle - new project
            1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

A friend of mine recommended the tank bag with a beach ball inside. Inflate/deflate depending on what you need. Haven't tried it yet but, its an idea.
              sigpic
              Currant Toys...
              '02 Suzuki GSX750F
              '74 Yamaha MX360
              '69 Camaro

Comment

I also take ibuprofen before I take off.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Hydration pack... trust me on this one, you'll be thankful later.
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I went with an aftermarket gel seat on my Kat, it help on the really long rides. Also avoid a back back, the extra drag get's to you after a while and the straps can cut down on airflow through the vents on your jacket.

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                    I also take ibuprofen before I take off.
                    Same here, and another when I gas up.
                    Kyle

Comment

Buy a touring bike.

But to make the Kat a little better on long rides there are some things that can be done. Those bars are the biggest help.

A nice comfy seat is second. I like Corbin Gunfighters. Wide and nice lower back position.

Extending the windscreen always helps from the wind pushing your head back constantly.

Raising the front sprocket a tooth or two and dropping the rear a few teeth will lower the top gear RPM and make it a little more bearable on long, high speed highway rides. You'll lose some low end grunt, of course, but if you're mainly doing general commuting and highway riding you won't miss it.

If you're a decent fabricator you can build a set of brackets to move your rear sets forward a few inches. It'll point your feet down or forward, more comfortable than pointing back. Especially for taller riders. I always run forward controls on my cruisers. You can't do that with sport bikes but you can make them a little more geometrically friendly.

I'd never recommend throttle lock(cruise control). If you're having trouble maintaining cruising speed then its time to park the bike for a little while at a rest area.

I don't typically wear gloves and for me the most comfortable type of grips are the sectioned smooth rubber oversized ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                        I'd never recommend throttle lock(cruise control). If you're having trouble maintaining cruising speed then its time to park the bike for a little while at a rest area.
                        I gather you haven't done a lot of long-distance touring. A throttle lock is perfect for when you're slabbing it and there are no twisties involved.

I don't typically wear gloves and for me the most comfortable type of grips are the sectioned smooth rubber oversized ones.
                        All it takes is to get hit by a pebble or a dump, and you'll change your mind.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

All of my traveling is done on a bike. I'd feel better knowing that if someone dozes off or gets tunnel vision the throttle would return and the bike would decelerate. I've always disagreed with cruise control on any vehicle. Again, if you're having trouble maintaining speed I don't know that you're aware enough to even be operating a vehicle. Not arguing, just my view on it. Its like those stupid flashing headlight kits; while it may be legal it shouldn't be used on public roads in my opinion.

Comment

Im a big fan of laying on the tank bag too. I like the beach ball idea except I use that space for essentials. I keep my camel back bladder in there with a few ice packs if its going to be that long a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                              All of my traveling is done on a bike. I'd feel better knowing that if someone dozes off or gets tunnel vision the throttle would return and the bike would decelerate. I've always disagreed with cruise control on any vehicle. Again, if you're having trouble maintaining speed I don't know that you're aware enough to even be operating a vehicle. Not arguing, just my view on it. Its like those stupid flashing headlight kits; while it may be legal it shouldn't be used on public roads in my opinion.
                              There's a time and a place for everything. I've never met a long distance rider that didn't use some manner of throttle lock/rocker etc for long rides. When I use mine I typically don't even take my hands off the bar but the little bit of friction helps keep your arm/hand from tiring out.

If you aren't wearing gloves, that's just plain stupid.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X