X

Help with Long rides....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Long rides....

So I just took a trip around superior and did 2800 km which is about 1800 miles. Absolutely amazing 5 days! My KAT ran perfect and couldn't ask for anything better. My back never got stiff....my neck was fine....my wrists were semi saved by throttle lock (risers would have been on but brake line was a little too short....soon to come) however my knees got extremely painful at about the 150-200 mile mark during the day. Getting off the bike and stretching would do the trick but pain came back in about 40 miles.....standing up would help for a few. Almost wish there was an attatchment to place forward pegs to stretch feet for awhile during the ride.......these exist? I know its funny to ask for a sports bike.....thought it was worth a try as they are common on adventure touring like vstrom and gs.......
    -M

Stretch your legs on the back pegs. Unless of course you are riding 2-up.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

if you buy the frame sliders from braunstein, they stick out far enough to where you can rest your feet and stretch out your hamstrings while you ride. I had the same thing on my 2500 mile trip to chicago: after 40 miles my arse would hurt again and my legs start needing a stretch. +1 on the rear pegs as well
      "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

I dont exactly see where the "stretch" comes from using the back pegs. I seem to be more in the fetal position when i put my feet on the back pegs.

If your talking about resting my shin on the back pegs, then that'd put my leg resting on the tip of the exhaust........... I just dont understand how this is supposed to work.

Comment

I'll often drape my feet over the rear turn signals.

However, the saddle bags tend to get in the way of this.
          With bags, I will just take my feet off the pegs, and dangle them just above the highway surface for a couple minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by f3tz3r View Post
            I dont exactly see where the "stretch" comes from using the back pegs.
            It's not so much a stretch as just another position. Keeps the knees from getting locked in one place too long. I hang the heel of my boot off the pillion pegs. Not long, just enough to get a little change in blood flow.

The trick is to take more short breaks. Move around a little bit to keep the blood flowing and keep joints from getting stiff. Yeah, I can ride for several tanks, fuel stop to fuel stop, but the recovery takes so long, it is often better for me just to make some extra stops.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

It took seven bikes for me to find the one that fit, my 03 zzr1200. Nothing seems to fit so well to me. I use the back pegs as often as I use the front. In the week of the rally last summer, I rode 2,900 miles up and back in 7 days along with all the riding I did there. I never got sore except for where I broke my thumb after a gravel slide. But even riding half way across the country with one hand waving free was still comfortable. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a bike that fits.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

yeah ditto on using the back pegs. I guess it depends on how tall you are, but on my trip from L.A. to Vegas it was a lifesaver to be able to rest my laces on those back pegs and be in another position/stretch out a bit.

I hear what you are saying about having some front forward pegs though, I recall stretching my legs out in front of me and wishing there were some pegs to rest them on. As far as I know they don't make any. If you figure out a way to fab some up, please let me know, I'll be your first customer!
                Like to dive? www.ScubaHides.com
                Drive a Wrangler? www.TakeEmOff.com

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with conditioning yourself for the longer rides. The more often you take 500-750 mile day trips, the longer you will be comfortable between stops to stretch. The rear pegs on my GSX-R are too high for me to rest my boots on comfortably, so sometimes I'll just let my legs dangle in the wind behind me for a short distance.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

One simple trick for those mega mile forays is to pop a few aspirin BEFORE you set out. Will definitely ease the aches and pains during and after a long, hard day in the saddle.
                    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Would crash bobbins help? or are they too close to work?
                      I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                        One simple trick for those mega mile forays is to pop a few aspirin BEFORE you set out. Will definitely ease the aches and pains during and after a long, hard day in the saddle.
                        i use this method as well. well, ibuprofen.
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Best one to take first? Aleve liquigels
                          sigpic

Comment

This stretching method wouldn't last long here on the other side of the pond. If the police sees you riding like that they pull you over instantly.
                            The longest stint I rode was 150km, and so far I didn't expereince this kind inconvenience yet.
                            Last edited by ErrEs; 12-24-2011, 10:27 AM.
                            Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
                              This stretching method wouldn't last long here on the other side of the pond. If the police sees you riding like that they pull you over instantly.
                              The longest stint I rode was 150km, and so far I didn't expereince this kind inconvenience yet.
                              That sucks, as long as you're not being an assclown the cops around here couldnt care less what you do.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X