X

Distance Riding Tips Please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks
    Thanks for this fantastic welcome onto the KatRiders site. So helpful. Been thinking about a throttle master anyway - so that seems a good idea. I'll have to look at the seat issue. Could be pricey? Anyone fitted handlebars?
    Cheers!
    Mr H

Comment

Definately invest in a throttle rocker or some sort of cruise control. the bar risers help. a corbin seat will help to. i drove from wisconsin to north carolina (more than 450 miles a day) and didnt have a single ache or pain... (besides a headache from my pipe buzzing the whole way ) lol and my bike has a basic stock setup. Adjust your riding style if your wrists hurt. Make sure your elbows are not locked when you ride, they should be loose. This is the reason why most peoples wrists get sore! also, take breaks often while riding. like every 100 miles or so hop off the bike for 5 or ten mins just to get blood flowing again and to get a good stretch in. your body will thank you!!!
      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
      Current Bikes:
      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

don't be afraid to move around in your seat!
        this will save you from wanting to cry over a sore buttocks! (heh, buttocks)

I tend to sit turned, with only my thigh on the seat- one handed. That's pretty much how I rode across America lol

and don't forget to have a shot of booze when you stop each night... it'll loosen you up before bedtime
        the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
        # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
        [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

The problem with putting on something like Renthal bars, is that would put you so far upright, that you would most likely begin fighting the wind against your upper body which gets very tiring at anything over say 70-75mph for long distances. Wind resistance with a standard riding position (upright) pulls hard on the shoulder and neck muscles. I would recomend getting a large agnetic tank bag, and using that to rest your chest against to take the weight off your wrists. That riding position also allows you to stay lower behind the windscreen, and possibly rest your elbows on top of your knees. I've done 1100 mile days on an 05 GSX-R750 with stock bars and pegs riding like this.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks folks. I know a uk site www.mandp.co.uk and see that they sell a throttle rocker for less than £10 - so thats a simple purchase. I said my bike was standard apart from the risers (got them shipped in from the states) but forgot to say its got an ART race can. Sounds great, but noisy and wearing after a while, so I'm in the habit of using earplugs already. Also, as psycho1 suggests, I already have a big magnetic tank bag which expands pretty tall. Maybe I just need to "man-up" and get some riding in! Also, in agreement with psycho1, my Vstrom riding brother reckons fitting bars will upset the whole wind dynamics on the bike. Could be right, because as it is at the moment wind turbulance minimal.
            One last point - always happy to get a beer in before some nice zzzzzzz's.
            Last edited by Mr H; 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM. Reason: added more
            Mr H

Comment

I was going to order a Corbin seat for my Kat but their customer service is absolutely terrible so I am going to go with an aftermarket gel seat cushion instead. The stock seat isn't terribly bad but could use a bit more padding under my butt on a ride that lasts longer than an hour. I am also going to buy a back brace for those longer rides as well.

One thing that I've found helps relieve wrist fatigue is a set of weightlifter gloves. I paid $10 for mine at Wal-Mart and they are absolutely wonderful! They have extra padding in the palms and extra wrist support which makes a huge difference.

My 4 Wheeled Ride: 2013 Mazda 3
              My 2 Wheeled Ride: 2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Zis Is KAOS! We Don't Shush Here!

Comment

I usually pop 2-4 Tylenol or Advil or at about 400 mi my back starts cramping. Also I don't use Corbin, I've got throw on gel pads that strap to the seat, make the trip less of a pain in the ***.

Comment

I find gel seats to be a pain in the butt... literally. I custom formed my seat to my ahem.. seat, using the same type of foam as the stock seat. Never felt better.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                    I find gel seats to be a pain in the butt... literally. I custom formed my seat to my ahem.. seat, using the same type of foam as the stock seat. Never felt better.
                    I've thought about doing that but never really had the motivation. Maybe with the next bike.

Comment

my last ride was with a pair of padded bicycle shorts. i recommend going this route.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome to the group!

Great thread, thanks also!
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                        Black painted seat and rear trim,
                        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                          my last ride was with a pair of padded bicycle shorts. i recommend going this route.
                          +1! I was going to suggest the same thing; I have found riding with my cycling shorts has made a positive difference in comfort on long rides! We have different bikes but the same idea!
                          sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

Working...
                          X