X

Just ordered my touring setup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered my touring setup

I'm going to go on a 3500-4000 mile trip this summer with a friend of mine. I'll be on my Aprilia Futura and he'll be on his Harley Softail standard that he just got. We'll be camping along the way to save money, and I enjoy it more than staying in motels anyways. Today I ordered a tent, sleeping bag, stove and cookware. I've still got a few things to get yet but I've got time to get it all together before the summer. This is a list of what I got

This Eureka Apex 2XT tent
    MSR Pocket Rocket Stove
    GSI Bugaboo 6 piece Teflon mess kit
    Slumberjack 30 deg sleeping bag

This setup weighs under 10lbs and everything packs up pretty small so it should work perfect for me. If any of you guys have anything to add to this list I'm open to more ideas, I know I've still got a few more things to get. Also here's a short list of where we plan on going on the trip

Crater Lake
    Hoover Dam
    Grand Canyon
    4 Corners
    Moab UT
    Yellowstone
    Mt. Rushmore

2002 Katana 600
    1999 Ford F150

I always take some sandals along. I hate wearing shoes anyway but it's nice to have something to slip on for running around the camp.

Eureka makes a darn good tent, just make sure you set it up under the sprinkler before you leave. You never know...

A tip I learned from a friend is to never take t-shirts as he always buys something along the way with a design on it.

I like humus and bread for snacking along the way, easy and keeps well. Chocholate if I can keep it cool. Fresh fruit is nice too. When I'm riding I try to eat lighter meals.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Let me know if you need anything when you get up this way (I'm in Rapid City). Stay safe!
    Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
    G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

Wet wipes and a tool kit for the harley
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Wet wipes and a tool kit for the harley
        I'll have to let him know, it'll **** him off haha. And I'm all over the food recommendations. Food always seems to taste much better when camping. By the way I also set up my tank bag for the last trip I went on (with the same friend, only he had a Shadow 750 and not his harley) to power my chargers for the Ipod, GPS, and cell phone. I've got a 2 pin SAE connector on the bike's dash as well as the tank bag and inside the bag are just standard 12v sockets. It worked great, here's a few pictures of it.

2002 Katana 600
        1999 Ford F150

Comment

Heatshrink cable would have been a nicer job on youre power cable there.
          " Youre all heart callaghan "

Comment

I know, I connected the 2 cables a few minutes before we left so I didn't have time

2002 Katana 600
            1999 Ford F150

Comment

You seem to have all the makings of a memorable trip there..be safe and enjoy yourselves:mrgreen:
              “What you own is your own kingdom
              What you do is your own glory
              What you love is your own power
              What you live is your own story” -Niel Peart

Comment

I got all of my stuff today. I also bought a Therm-A-Rest prolite sleeping pad yesterday. Here's some pictures of the setup.

2002 Katana 600
                1999 Ford F150

Comment

I bought that exact same tent from Campmor as well, but mine ended up being pea green in color. All the other camping stuff I bought at the local REI.

One thing I found out when I last motorcycle camped at Crater Lake is the importance of a good air matress, since I slept on the ground. You have the Therma Rest but I ended up getting an air matress. I need the greater thickness.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

This should be an awesome trip.

Make sure you pack some raingear too.
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment

That is some cool camping stuff.

My tent won't fold nearly that small, but is a much bigger tent in a design no one seems to make any more (3-pole version of something like yours with a 6'4" dome height, sleeps 8 officially, but 2 adults, 2 dogs, plus all their gear comfy in reality). Since I don't tend to camp more than a mile away from the bike, the extra weight didn't really matter to me.

Things to consider:
                      Large garbage bags. Doubles as wet-clothing storage bags
                      Spare fuel (for the stove) & something to light it with, plus something to light it with when the first something goes astray...

Have a great time!

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It should be fun trip for you guys

Comment

it sounds like it's going to be an awsome trip, enjoy and let us know how the trip went when you get back.

Comment

Enjoy the trip and be safe!
                            '98 Katana 600
                            '08 Boulevard C50T

sigpic

Comment

Two suggestions for your new tent:

1) Seam seal all the seams. Eureka makes a nice tent but rthe seams are always vulnerable so extra sealant is not a bad thing at all.

2) Get a properly sized ground cloth. I use 6 mil poly drop cloth. make sure that it does not stick out from under the tent. If it does it will funnel water under your tent.
                              Last edited by tzortn; 05-22-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X