Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I'm going to Jacksonville, FL from Indianapolis.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to Jacksonville, FL from Indianapolis.

Hey guys, I'm going on my first long ride at the end of this month. I'm 20 years old, headed to Florida from Indy for spring break. I got my bike last year in August and to date have put 5,233 miles on it. I think I'm up for the challenge, just looking for any tips or advice you may have for me. I'm a little nervous, but that's what makes it fun! As for my preperations, here's what I have so far.

Riding Gear
    Joe Rocket Jacket with pads
    HJC Full Face Helmet
    Generic Riding Glove
    Regular Redwing Steel Toed Boots
    Backpack

In My Backpack:
    Ipod
    Cell Phone
    AAA Card
    Clothes
    Waterjug
    Gatorade Powder
    Powerbars
    Tire Plugs/ Small Air Pump
    Chain Lube
    Tennis Shoes
    Digital Camera

That's about it, am I missing anything obvious? I want to put together a tool pouch, what should I bring besides a couple screwdrivers? With my bike being air-cooled, is it capable of such along ride through hot and humid states? In preperation for the ride, I've replaced the backtire, greased the chain, and changed my oil and filter. Any suggestions?

Edit: Oh I meant to ask, how many times do you think I'll have to stop for gas? I've never really calculated my fuel mileage. It's a 2002 Suzuki Katana 750 w/ a Yoshimura pipe.

Also, just FYI, I'll be riding solo, I'm headed to a good friends house.
    Last edited by dave3188; 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM.

Before you get to Jacksonville, drop me a message.

Comment

If you like barbecue check out the Lou Bono's pit barbecue on beach blvd on the pottsburg creek /southside of jax. my old stomping grounds and good memories!

Also do a double check on Cyberpoets list for cruzing long distance! good luck/have fun!
      Last edited by redrider; 03-14-2008, 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I would agree that checking out CP's advise on long trips is a good idea. There is alot of great information there.
        American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

Am I going to have any problems riding through TN, KY, GA, and FL with a only an Indiana Learner's Permit?

Comment

You are going to get about 45 mpg,
            Don't forget you are going to need an oil change during this trip. Plan on it.

And shame on you for questioning the Kat for this trip..
            Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
            '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
            '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
            '11 Kawasaki KLR650
            I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Take it easy on US1 from Waycross Ga. to Jax-its always got a few smokies on the lookout...
              “What you own is your own kingdom
              What you do is your own glory
              What you love is your own power
              What you live is your own story” -Niel Peart

Comment

You are most prepared compared to myself when I go on a long trip. You have enough to get yourself out of most jams. For the remaining, thats half what makes the trip so fun.

Comment

Haha, thanks for the info guys. What do yo think, can I make this trip without stopping?? That's what I want to do, if I am physically able!

Comment

Originally posted by dave3188 View Post
                    Am I going to have any problems riding through TN, KY, GA, and FL with a only an Indiana Learner's Permit?
                    yes if you get pulled over.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                      You are going to get about 45 mpg,
                      Don't forget you are going to need an oil change during this trip. Plan on it.

And shame on you for questioning the Kat for this trip..
                      Y would he need an oil change? it's only 880 miles x2 is 1760 miles...plenty of room before 3000....just needs to change it before he leaves....thats my suggestion

I y would he have problems with the permit? Laws must be different in FLORIDA....LP means u cant carry a passenger thats all

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

In west Virginia you can't carry a passenger or ride at Night past sunset hours or rider before sunrise! I would call the msf course sites and do an inquiry from the DOV for valid info!

Comment

Most of the tip's you need to know is here:
                          Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
                          on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
                          or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Here's what else I would recommend, based on some of your comments:
                          (A) Ride daylight because of the restricted license. For maximum distances, that means getting up early and quitting early.
                          (B) Check the AMA website for applicable laws for every state along the way ( http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp ).
                          (C) Fumoto valve and carry an extra liter of oil; change 1 liter at 1k miles. Repeat every 1k miles.
                          (D) If you are riding with someone, agree on contingency plans ahead of time for adverse weather -- no sense in arguing while riding about whether to stop or not (bad thing on the road). Ditto hand signals.

Good luck and be safe!

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X