X

Hard Bags

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Bags

I'm looking to put hard bags on the Kat. I've looked at givi and other "expensive" brands but just can't see spending the $. Has any one done the JC whitney or Ebay hard bags as side cases?

I have'nt done it, but I recall a magazine write-up giving the JC Whitney hard bags a really good review for their cost relative to the Givis.

Comment

Send MD86 a PM about this thread... he did it on the pre-98 as a top-rack. Someone else around here did it as side-racks.

Having seen both, I understand the Givi's are expensive as all get-out, but I'm glad I plunked down the $$ for my givi's... The bags have moved from bike-to-bike and the reinvestment in racks isn't that bad (about $150 when I change bikes, with most of that recovered when I sell the old racks). The water-tightness and plastic thickness is significantly better than the JCWhitney knock-offs.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The givis are nice! When I priced em they were around 600 for the 360 with racks. I have 2 (yes the wife wants to tour!) bikes to dress and figured I can do both for less than half of the price for one set of givis.

I've read all sorts of reports on the Bestem 2012 bags on the ST forums. If anything the ST group is probably more tour oriented than Kat riders. I haven't seen a negative comment on the bags. I'm convinced the bags are decent quality.

Looks like I will need to fab the racks as the bags don't fit the givi racks.

Does size matter? In hard bags that is, the 2012 is 35L while the other plain black is 46L. Cyber, when the wife saw pics of your givis on the bike she was wondering how she would get her leg over the bike, she is vertically challenged! What size are those anyway?

The Bestem case is the one on the top.

Comment

I have the GIVI economy case on my bike. A good case at an inexpensive price. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/1875/69/

You don't have any choice but to go elsewhere for racks and mounts as GIVI has dropped the 98-02 Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
            I have the GIVI economy case on my bike. A good case at an inexpensive price. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/1875/69/

You don't have any choice but to go elsewhere for racks and mounts as GIVI has dropped the 98-02 Katana.
            Do you have any pics of your bike with the bags?

Comment

Originally posted by sanjoh
              Looks like I will need to fab the racks as the bags don't fit the givi racks.
              If you have the skill to fab racks, you can make your own hard-luggage... take a look at these BMW-cherished hard luggage that's derigor for the GS series:

You might also want to scour ebay for used Givi's -- they don't seem to ever go bad (mine have seen some rough times, and the paint didn't handle it as well as might be hoped, and I snapped off a key dropping a fully loaded, open bag from about 5 feet onto a hard floor, but the bags are still 100%).

Does size matter? In hard bags that is, the 2012 is 35L while the other plain black is 46L.
              It depends on how long you are going to be on the road and how much you need to haul. Two-up for ten days sans doing laundry, the bigger bags are pretty much a must. If each of you has your own bike with bags, 35 liters is probably sufficient. When riding solo, I use the extra space for road-supplies like a foot pump, motor oil, extra shoes, etc.
              One word of caution: quality (i.e.- thick) leather riding gear doesn't fold multiple times readily, so the larger bags are better if you pack leathers, esp. if you're up there in the sizes...

Most 46 liter hard bags are usually reserved for top-cases for some reason...

Cyber, when the wife saw pics of your givis on the bike she was wondering how she would get her leg over the bike, she is vertically challenged! What size are those anyway?
              They're Givi E360's, 40 liters per side. As for mounting by a rear passenger, she would simply step on the left rear footpeg as usual, and swing her leg over the seat, pretty much same as usual. At least, that's how my GF does it. As long as her knees make a 90 degree turn towards the footpegs when seated (vs. some angle under 90 degrees such as 70 degrees), it shouldn't be an issue. You could always put the bike on the centerstand and let her mount first.

KNOW THIS ABOUT SIDE-MOUNTED HARD BAGS:
              always mount the heavier bag on the left
              always mount the left bag first
              always unmount the right bag first.
              Why? Because if you stop on the sidestand, you want the bike to be positively weighted to that side. Too much imbalance, and an uneven surface or a stiff bit of a breeze can topple the bike to the other side.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The trade-off between time and money again! Those beemer bags are sweet and they make a great frame slider, probably last forever. Heck you could refrigerate one and you'd be set!

No problem with the fab work but I dont't have the time to make cases. I've been scouring the web for a used set.

Thanks for the tips on loading the bags, I can imagine how you may have learned this!

Thanks for the recommendation on the size.

John

Comment

If you've got the cash, spring for the givi's, Im pretty new to sport bikes myself, but I've done alot of dual sport touring. seen many diff. types of luggage in action.
                  as far as plastic cases go Ive never seen any that will take the abuse the givi's can.
                  Some days your the bug.....Some days your the windshield.

Comment

I have used hard side case of various makes over the years. On my recent trip I used some Fieldsheer softside expandable and these worked pretty good and my wife who is also vertically challenged has no issues with these. I also the Givi 52 liter topcase with backrest for the wife (allows her more comfort.) if cost is an issue go soft side until you can afford the GIVI. Others just won't hold up over time. Another good name that will fit you bike is Krauser but good luck on getting them in and they are even a bit more pricey than the GIVI.
                    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Send MD86 a PM about this thread... he did it on the pre-98 as a top-rack.
                      Yeah , rack was about $100 through revsperformance.com , and case was like $50 on Ebay , but is the same case from JCW .

Works well enough for not too much money . They have MUCH larger ones , too . Mine's only big enough for my backpack or helmet .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Just a note for anyone who may be interested.....If you may already have a set of hard bags on another bike you may want to consider the SW Motec mounting system available through twisted throttle. I wanted to put some hard bags on my kat but also did not want the "ugly frame" to stay on the bike and destroy the lines of what I consider to be one of the most beautiful motorcycle bodies ever! The SW Motec system is brilliant. Just three small attachment points stay on the bike and both the bags and frame are detachable. I had hepco and becker bags on my moto guzzi breva so I got the mount for those bags. A givi mount, as well as a few others are available.
                        The mounts are a little expensive but they are extremely well made and fit very unobtrusively to the bike so that when you don't need the bags, the bike again looks stock.
                        I have attached some rather poor photos taken in my small and crowded garage but I think they show what they need to.
                        Jerry
                        Attached Files
                        www.jrferris.ca

Comment

Picked up A JC Whitney top case myself. Need to mount it. Do the Givi top case mounts from Twisted Throttle fit the Whitney cases?

Comment

Just a head's up -- I do have a GIVI set-up (bags, racks) for sale for the later Kats -- racks are new, bags are used. Bought a ZX-14 and the Givi racks/bags for that...

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Alright, What you got And What are you wanting to get? Are we talking top case rack and side case racks? I'd rather get them from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X