X

Question on beginning a streetfighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on beginning a streetfighter

Im thinking about turning my 99katana into a streetfighter, I've always like how they look. I know that everyones streetfighter is based on their own personal choices and preferences but I had a couple of things I am looking for some information on. I dont really want to put my bike up until I finish it so chances are I will be making some changes to it as I ride it daily. The first thing that I want to do is get the plastics off, and second I want to get a new headlight.

I have read online that the ones on ebay (priced around 30 bucks or so), are very dim at night, and don't hold up to well so I was kind of leaning toward getting a single headlight (like from a gs500e or sv650 kind of look). Does anyone have an experience with these types of lights? If I remove the stock headlight can I just mount a new one there or would i have to by some sort of mounting kit with it. Thanks in advance for the input and advice.

Be prepared to spend alot of time an money unless you dont care how it turns out.
    I did the whole.. work on it here and there thing with the bulk of the mods being done in the winter. And that turned out ok, but not what I wanted.
    Now I have a 2nd bike to ride and the fighter wont be ridden again until completion (except for tuning purposes). But then again I am pulling no punches with my build, so to speak.
    If your the kind that considers every nekkid street bike with a different headlight a street fighter then you will be just fine taking the fairings off, slapping a different headlight on and working on it between commutes.
    Me on the other hand, a LOT of research, thought, time, money, success, and failure an disappointment has gone into my build. And I am Nowhere even close to being done.

1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yeah, I plan on putting a lot into it, I just want to get the light done first that way it is ridable. Im looking for a headlight like the one on your bike (the pic you posted). How was it getting that on there? Did you have to buy mounting brackets or anything?

Btw, your bike looks really good. How long have you been working on it?

Comment

Originally posted by bman291317 View Post
        Im looking for a headlight like the one on your bike (the pic you posted). How was it getting that on there? Did you have to buy mounting brackets or anything?

Btw, your bike looks really good. How long have you been working on it?
        That headlight is off of a '79 Norton Commando. Yes you would need mounting brackets.

That picture was after I had been working on it for a winter. It doesn't look like that anymore. If you wanna know more bout my build and aren't afraid of a little 'light' reading. Click the link to my build thread in my signature.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the link to your build while I'm at work tomorrow. Maybe it'll pass the time quicker lol

Comment

Cinci i have those same mirrors on my bike, but couldnt find bolts anywhere long enough to run the bar end weights plus the mirrors. Do you remember where you got them and what size they were? Odd question I know, but Im getting a ton of buzz though the bars without the weights.
            If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

Got them from Lowes, take yours up there or home depot or whatever, find the same threading and get them a half inch longer.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Any advice on where to find a headlight and mouting brackets like that?

Comment

Ebay, junkyards, There's sites online where you can get good 'streetfighter' headlights (not like the cheap dim crap on ebay) but you will pay handsomely for them.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I bought one off of ebay. It has great side light but a halo of darkness in the center. Definately not safe at night. They do sell better ones though. Its all pesonal preference. Single, dual, evil looking, etc. Do it how you want it.

Comment

Working...
                    X