No announcement yet.
X

92 750 Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well today has turned out to be a good day mostly. The big brown truck showed up and dropped off my frame, GSXR parts, and headlight. Bonus was the frame had some parts on it that I needed and didn't realize when I placed my Bike Bandit order. The not so good news was when I unpacked the GSXR parts. As soon as I unwrapped the swingarm I realized my original plan was not going to work. A quick spark test confirmed that this swingarm was aluminum. For some stupid reason I didn't think about metal compatibility. I had originally planned to chop the rear off the GSXR swing and weld it to my Katana's. Then widen it to fit a 180 tire.

It was 2:30 then and my local machine shop closed at 3 today. So, I threw both swingarms in the truck and headed up there. My next idea was to butt weld some new rectangular tubing to my Kat arm and put new slots in about 2" closer to the rear. Strike 2. Kat arm uses metric tube and nobody anywhere close, stocks it. Only option would be to use standard tubing that would either overlap or slide in the Kat arm. That would make a very strong joint with almost no chance of failure, but would look like complete a** in my opinion. I don't like doing work that looks cobbled together and unplanned.

Wile I'm standing there looking at both swingarms, another idea hits me. Very simular to the first plan, just modified slightly. What I am thinking is to have the machine shop mill some new ends out of cold rolled steel plate that would mimic the design of the GSXR's swing exactly. But it would be 4" longer allowing that extra 4" to slide into the ends of my Kat arm. I would have enough steel inside the arm to use the original slots as a weld point to secure the new ends ( kinda like a plug weld ). And it would have tight enough tolerances that the whole assembly would act as 1 part instead of 2 welded together. I asked for a quote and was supprised to hear $150.00 and it could be done within 1 day.

I would like to hear your input (especially you Kreylyn ) as to how well it would work or what improvements you would do. I won't make any final decisions till monday morning when the machine shop opens. I know that the part I'm talking about can be had aftermarket but I only know of aluminum ones with a price tag of about $300.00. If anybody knows of someone that makes steel ones, please let me know who?

Here is 2 more pictures. First is some of todays parts. A 5 3/4" side mount headlight, new frame, swingarms, and also a 44 tooth sprocket. GSXR rim has a 47 tooth on it right now. Second picture is a quick placement of my new rim behind the bike. Thats not it's final placement, just wanted to see how the wider tire looked.

Comment

Hi mate - lookin good so far, would think your plan for the swingarm would work V well, guess you'll weld around the tube as well as use the plug weld method? Will these plates move the wheel far enough back to give the necessary width between the arms?
      Got to say the stretched look with the chopped subby looks mighty well proportioned, not a big fan of stretches (english, and a sportbike saddo) but it does look good... shame you can't do an inviso arm 8)

Why the need for the 44 tooth sprocket, thought the 47 would be better on a naked?

Good luck, you seem to be makin loads more progress than me!
      '92 GSX750F 'fighter project
      '83 XV1000 cafe racer project (almost done )

Comment

Originally posted by dodgyp View Post
        Hi mate - lookin good so far, would think your plan for the swingarm would work V well, guess you'll weld around the tube as well as use the plug weld method?

Yes, I would weld around the tube as well

Will these plates move the wheel far enough back to give the necessary width between the arms?

No, The Kat swingarm still needs to be made 1 3/8" wider

Got to say the stretched look with the chopped subby looks mighty well proportioned, not a big fan of stretches (english, and a sportbike saddo) but it does look good... shame you can't do an inviso arm 8)

I played around with the placement some today. I am leaning towards the 3-4" look. Any more seems to be too much.

Why the need for the 44 tooth sprocket, thought the 47 would be better on a naked?

It came with the GSXR parts I bought. I bought the entire rear assembly and I guess the guy didn't need it so it was thrown in with everything

Good luck, you seem to be makin loads more progress than me!

Thank you

Comment

Your on the right track... You should check out Cherrif's build thread...

Those are made by GSXFJim....

Alternatively... you can swap to a longer axle and 20mm chain adjusters from a bandit or RF600.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes, thats what I'm thinking about making. I went thru that entire thread and didn't see any mention of what he would use for chain adjustment. My design will have a hole drilled and tapped for the GSXR's adjuster. Other than that the only difference would be that my my Kat arm will not be cut down.

Comment

Update time:
              Got the Kat swingarm widened up today. I did basically the same thing as Kreylyn's mod. Two pie cuts to bend the arm out and back in. I tried to take pictures of everything but I tend to get wrapped up in things when I do them. The total length is now 1 1/2" shorter and with the extensions it will make for a total of 4" stretch.

First picture shows the cuts that would soon be made

This shows the tube bent and mostly welded. I didn't remember to take another pic till this point. As you can see from the unfinished weld, I went with a 3/32" root opening and used 1/16" filler

Completed 1 side and ready for the next. Did one side at a time so I could check with my reference marks on the table and make sure each side moved only 11/16". No more or less

Now we jump to where I called it quits. 2nd side is bent, still have 1 small weld to do and then buff the welds down. For some reason the pic makes it seem like the left arm is bent out some.

The next two pictures are showing the backside of my TIG welds inside both tubes. It's hard to make out but if you look close, down at the end, you can see that the welds penetrated fully and have full root reinforcement without any suckback. All welds were done like this and I have no doubt they will hold.

When I first layed the swingarm on the welding table there was about 1/8" of wobble between the two ends. Not sure if that's from the factory or when the bike got layed over. Anyhow there is now no noticable difference from end to end or side to side. She lays nice and flat now.

Tomorrow I will finish that 1 weld and buff that side down. First thing Monday morning I will be at the machine shop with a full set of blueprints for them to make my ends. Hopefully they can get it done in that 1 day time frame they quoted. That will give me Tuesday to finish the arm, install it, and get the bike back down on the ground. Wednesday, my Bike Bandit order will be here along with the carb rebuild kits and jet kit. Hoping to get started on all that wednesday evening.

Comment

I have not gotten alot done this week. My swingarm extensions will finally be done today. Not as quick as I wanted or was told, but it has been outa my hands.

List of things done:
                - Carbs rebuilt, cleaned, and jetted ( waiting on pilot jet plugs to finish )
                - Brake and Clutch foot levers lowered
                - New clutch cable and new OEM style hand levers installed
                - Ignition relocated to the rear ( gonna put a guage in its original location )

I have a lot of time rewiring and figuring out what goes where. I opened up the harness to pull the Ignition wires back to the rear. There were quite a few wires that were hooked in the wrong places under the tank. I have gotten all but 1 yellow wire figured out. It was wrapped with the wires that have a yellow wire connector but there is nothing near it to hook into. Below is a picture of the wire. Can anybody tell me where it goes?

Picter of the frontend without the ignition. Looks alot cleaner now

Here is the harness without it's covering. I wanted to run it thru the frame but with the gromet I plan to use I would have to drill a 1" hole. My 1" bit got bent on another project so thats on hold till a later time.

Relocated the Ignition here

And the seat lock is on the other side in the same location

Comment

Just stopped working to eat some dinner and thought I would share my progress since this mornings post. Got the swingarm extensions and I am rather pleased with how they turned out. Been busting tail trying to get as much done today as possible and plan to work thru the night.

Picture of the swingarm extensions, a block for the GSXR caliper, and 2 spacers for my headlight. I didn't like how the fork mounts were angled in with the 5 3/4 light so these spacers will fix that

Closeup of the extension

Everything TIG welded in

Closeup showing the caliper slide on the swingarm

Inside view of caliper with the axle assembled

Side shot of my new rear end

The next 4 pictures are different views of my ride as she sits now

That tire is a 170, I plan to replace it with a 180 soon. I must say it looks rather good with the 4" stretch. Will get some good outside shots tomorrow. Let me know what you all think so far

Comment

Interesting.... I'm subscribed. I want to see how this turns out.

IMHO, too much stretch, but that's just me.
                    "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Very nice... those welds look really good! Nice work!

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Looks Good!!!
                        "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
                        - Michael Jordan-

My Build: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...02#post2085502

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it

Comment

Not a fan of the stretch, but I can appreciate good fabbing and mechanical skills. Thing looks good dood!

Comment

Great work, think the proportions are spot on, IMO the only thing I'd do is fit MX bars, I think the standard bars are a bit 'tourer' lookin, thats me tho. Sweet welding...
                              '92 GSX750F 'fighter project
                              '83 XV1000 cafe racer project (almost done )

Comment

Well now it LOOKS like it makes power, you just need it to ACTUALLY make power...
                                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X