No announcement yet.
X

Morgion's 1995 GSX600F rebuild thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought the new headlight! Polisport Halo.

1995 GSX600F ///// Build diary

Comment

Installed new light and put her to winter storage:

Headlight couldn't clear instrument cluster due to too short attachment bracket...

...so made my own from some aluminum and pipe clamps:

Installed:

If I convert to a digital speedo I will most likely go back to the original bracket.

Comment

Ordered myself some exhaust!
        The mufflers won't make it before christmas, but I'll get the downpipes sometime this or next week.

Need to make the Y-fork to connect the collector to the twin cans myself, but luckily the nearest parts store has all kinds of 51mm exhaust piping. Either I buy some and get it bent to shape somewhere or get some of the ready-bent piping if I can get it to fit.

I have welding stuff and an angle grinder at home, but no pipe-bending tools.

Comment

Got the new exhaust! It's off a 2005 GSX750F. Needs sanding and repainting.

Here's how it fits. Need to hammer it down a bit, but not as much as I'd need to if I was installing a full post-98 system.

Also figured out that I have to rethink the connecting pipes from the collector to the mufflers because the collector curves to the right side due to the one-sided exhaust on post-98 bikes. This is also the 100th image I've posted in this thread! Yay!

Because I want to get even flow to both mufflers, I will have to route the exhaust somewhat like this. The shorter pipe will have less flow resistance so it needs to be behind the bend, while the longer pipe has more flow resistance so needs to be straight to compensate.

This is less for performance, more for sound and perfectionism.

Comment

Crossposted here.

I was left wondering, which of these options for exhaust routing would be best and would there any actually noticeable difference in flow characteristics?

I could "straighten" the collector by cutting, bending and then re-welding it like so:

Last edited by Morgion; 12-20-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I just have to ask why? When your bike has a dual system on it already?
              Why not just put those cans on your stock dual exhaust?
              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
              V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
              Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Because the original system is completely rotten and bent and full of dents. You can push a screwdriver through some of the more rotten parts.

Comment

Seems like it would be easier to just replace the stock exhaust. The post98 engine has a off set oil pan to make room for that 4-1 collector in case you didn't know. What ever you do, don't try to bend/hammer those headers down while attached to the cylinder head. Then engine aluminum is really soft, so hammering it would most likely damage the flange area/including threads.
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Cheaper to get new used vs old new. Also better design & steel, I reckon.

Naturally I will take the collector off before hammering. Also I won't have to make as much of a dent because I won't be using the original end pipe. The collector will get modified anyway.

Comment

• Cut off collector on the new header. Replace with 2 collectors that are turned towards the side of each slightly, starting the turn around your oil pan.

This resolves the space issue for the dual exhaust, and the ground clearance/oil pan clearance issues with the post header.

The T connector your talking about making would put a serious stop/flow issue for the exhaust due to the drastic change in direction. The reason 1 exhaust will work better than another is due to the flow and pulse resonance for the exhaust. That T would just screw all that up.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• How about this? Cut the collector halfway then attach twin pipes. The clearance is not an issue, I don't have to bend it by much.

Comment

• Merry Christmas, you all!

A bit late since I was away from home for the holidays.

Comment

• Adjusted the valves, needed 5 new shims after juggling the existing ones around for a while. Now all intake valves are 0.15mm while all exhaust valves are 0.20mm. Fortunately that's the only thing I gotta do to the engine this winter.

Comment

• Weeee got my new exhaust!

Did a mock-up installation (nothing's actually attached):

Comment

• Originally posted by Morgion View Post
                                How about this? Cut the collector halfway then attach twin pipes. The clearance is not an issue, I don't have to bend it by much.

That's the best option yet.
                                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran
                                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                                X