X

Time to Learn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Learn

Decided to post on here and keep and working progress of what I have done and am planning on doing to my 02 kat 600. I just got completely screwed by a shop.I just wanted him to clean my carbs. I wish I would have just done it myself but I was unsure of the whole process. I caught him in a ton of lies. He said that he was goin to take my tank to another shop to have my tank coated. he told me it takes an average of 2 to 3 days and the longest it took for one was a week. well I got curious and went to where he told me the shop was and a small kid came riding up behind me and said that there was no one there and said that no one has worked there in a year. As I was leaving the kids mom came walking up the road ( the shop was behind someones house) I told her what the situation was and she said that her father used to seal tanks but he passed away a year ago. So the next day I called the guy the had my bike and asked him what the shops number was and he said he didn't know and didn't even know his name (caught him ). He was even more ticked when I told him I went there and told him that no one has coated a tank in over a year. So then he started cussing me out and them told me he would just go get my tank and I could just come get my bike back(this was about 2). so I called later that day anf told him I would be that at 7 ( it was 5ish when I called). Got a call from the owner (everett Reedy) and he told me he wasn't even home and was on his way to cinci. So curious I decided to see if he was lying again and he was! he was home mowing his grass. My dad was with me and needless to say he was super mad. He told everett that he would be there at 1130 the next day to pick it up and it had better be put toghther right. well I have my bike parked in a buddy's garage and is letting me keep it there while I attempt to fix it myself.
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

That's rough, live and learn. the only thing I have a shop do is mount tires.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Day #1

Went to my buddy's place to see how bad it all was. And bad it was. Started by taking off all my fairings. I noticed that I was missing a lot of the bolts and the ones that I did have I don't think that they were in the correct spots. the two bolts that hold in the tank were just finger tight and very very loose. The clamps that hold the airbox on the carbs we not even close to being tight. It isnt goin to be worth goin back and arguring with that idiot. I would probably just end up knocking him out. the first task I decided to check was to see exactly where my tank was leaking at so I held it up and added fuel until I saw leaking. after putting about a quarter of a tank in it I saw fuel leaking out of the overflow tube.

question one will por 15 be able to seal that ? Since it runs through the middle of the tank?

To solve the missing/misplaced bolts I am prolly goin to order a bolt kit from either bikebolts or probolts anyone used either or anything else ??

Comment

I suppose if you could insert a vinyl tube down the pipe then seal it, remove the vinyl tube, it may work. A 100% sure way to seal it would be replace the tank or find a welding shop that can replace the tube. I had good results with probolts kits.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          find a welding shop that can replace the tube.

My Buddy told me he could do that and since has. It worked out great. So my first problem has been fixed onto the next

Been doin some searching on how to replace the right hand control bc my starter button has ate it and I am tired of using a momentart switch. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and could give me some insight into it. I have seen posts where people have done it but no info on how.
          Last edited by jmoles95; 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Should be pretty straight forward. There's a couple screws that hold the pod together. Remove those, disconnect the wiring and throttle cable, connect them up to the new pod, and screw it back together. Should be a connection for your emergency blinkers, the kill switch and the starter button. (Brakes anyone? I don't recall off the top of my head - should be seperate I believe though)
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

It is just killswitch and starter button on that pod. I was just wanting to do some reading on someone else who has done it. I would rather have some knowledge on the subjuect before I go jumping in. Mainly if there were any tricks or stuff I need to look out for.

Comment

if everything is still there its most likely just a bad contact, or in my case a screw came lose on the inside, pull it apart sand the contacts make sure the wires haven't corroded and tighten the screws up and you should be good
                never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                confused katana build

Comment

I have already got a "new" one on the way that I got from someone on here for a whole lot cheaper than the stealership. it should be getting here today or tmrw I hope.

My starter button was pretty much coming out.

It will be a good learning experience

Comment

update

Time for an update. I have got thefairing bolt kit from probolts. Not to sure how much I like them. More to comeon that on a later date once I get all my fairing back on.

I have changed my right hand pod. That wentpretty smooth. The hardest part was getting the throttle cables back on. UntilI realized I was putting them on in reverse order. After i caught that it was apeice of cake.

While Ihave my fairing off I noticed that the screws that mount the healight in arebusted. I am gonna guess thanks to the DB of a shop owner I took it to.Planning on trying to epoxy or jb weld it for now and then maybe trying my handat a HID or just some sort of brighter bulbs

Put mytank back on and put some gas in and tried to start it. After two or threebumps she fired up and the idle went nuts and was hanging around 8k. So istarted backing the idle adjust screw down and got it to arounf 5.5K and thatwas all the lower it would go. So I had to problem search. Tank came back offand started looking. Noticed that the where the throttle cable hooks up to thecarbs was raised up a good bit so I backed it down tighted it up and turned theidle screw up just a bit. Put the tank back on and tried her again. Fired rightup and idled down to about 1K. Good enough for me.

Noticedthough when I revved it up as the rpmswere coming down they would slow almost to a stop at 2.5-3K then go down therest way. Gonna have to do some searching on that. Can’t really remember ifthat is ok or not seemed to get better as it ran more. Any body haev someinsight on that ?

Comment

Did you find that shop on craigslist?

Comment

Originally posted by Jreid843 View Post
                        Did you find that shop on craigslist?

No from a friend. He had no idea he was gonna be that way. And won't ever be recommending him again. He said that he had went to him in the past.

Comment

I believe a hanging idle is a lean issue.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Got all the plastics put back on the bike. I think that theykinda warped or something because I had a really hard time getting them to fitback properly. Started her up again and sounds awful. Like it is missing reallybad. I then remember that I put low test gas in it. All I had at the time. Doyou think that is what could have caused rough idle???????? Keep in mind thatis was running great about Like 2 or 3 days ago

Comment

Late to the party, and TL;DR, but POR15 will not seal holes in the metal unless they are small (tiny) pinholes.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X