X

Ducks 1990 gsx katana build.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducks 1990 gsx katana build.

Alright guys, heres my "story" if you want to call it that lol. So i bought this 1990 kat 600 in septmeber if 2012 and was planning on buying it this spring. Unfortunatly being 21 and owning a bike isnt the cheapest thing when it comes to insurance.

When i bought this bike it was in half decent shape, the fairings were missing 65% of the bolts and the paint isnt the greatest (ie flaking and spotted). The bike has 45000km on it but still runs good (no ticks or bottom end noise).

Seeing as i cant ride to bike for quite awhile ive decided to start my little rebuild project. So basically ive stripped the bike down minus removing the wiring harness and the front end. The swing arm is still on the bike but not for not longer, just gotta get the exhaust off so i can put the bike up.

All my brackets, hangers and misc steel parts are sitting in a pile to be sand blasted. The rims and swing arm are also going to the sand blaster.

The swing arm is the stock silver but is going black along with the rims and misc parts.

Future plans for this bike:
    Ive recently ordered a digital speedometer from Koso as i like the more modern look of the digital speedo. Ive recently stripped down the wiring harness to trace back the wires i will no longer need and remove them, mid as well junk the extra weight haha.

I plan on jetting the carbs once they been torn down and cleaned. ( if anyone can recommend a certain kit "bang for the buck")

My intentions were to remove the stock airbox and replace it with K&N pod filters but after reading the forums i hear they dont go over so well.

The stock round mirrors are gone and ive ordered some nice bar end mirrors to replace them, my father in law does body work and will fill in the stock mirror holes.

Im new to the whole world of bikes so im not too sure what my plan is for the clutch, the PO has the adjustments maxed out so i plan on replacing the friction plates.

Ive also purchased a 4-1 header off a 1990 gsxr 750, im gonna fab up an exhaust for the bike once i have an idea of where im going with the bike.

My plan for the paint is probably gonna be 90% black with yellow accenting, i love the yellow but im a huge fan of black with accenting. We will see once that time comes. let me know what you guys think and im more then welcome to any feedback
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DonaldDuck91; 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM.

Im also looking for a slip on can for my exhaust fab up. I dont want the full size can i want a mini. If anyone somewhat near me is interested in letting one go PM me!

Comment

So got all my brackets and stuff off the bike.. All the brackets ie; headlight bracket, hangers, etc are off and going with the rims and swinger for sandblasting and powder coated black!

Comment

soo, for anyone whos reading lol... I dug alittle into disassembling my bike today and the swingarm and rear tire are now off and ready to go along with the other parts to the sand blaster and get powdered.

On a second note, i started tackling my wiring harness yesterday, i started cracking open the 20 y/o wiring covers and rerouting some wires. I plan on removing all the wires that i eliminate from the new digital guage going in (it only requires 9 wires, a hell of a lot less then the stock guages). I plan on recovering the wires with yellow wire covering rather than the stock black, just a minor "upgrade" really just because im picky.

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldDuck91 View Post
          soo, for anyone whos reading lol... I dug alittle into disassembling my bike today and the swingarm and rear tire are now off and ready to go along with the other parts to the sand blaster and get powdered.

On a second note, i started tackling my wiring harness yesterday, i started cracking open the 20 y/o wiring covers and rerouting some wires. I plan on removing all the wires that i eliminate from the new digital guage going in (it only requires 9 wires, a hell of a lot less then the stock guages). I plan on recovering the wires with yellow wire covering rather than the stock black, just a minor "upgrade" really just because im picky.

People are watching... you can tell by the number of views the thread has.

Pics get people to respond more though...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Don't you worry....were watching! Bahahaha!!

Nah but really..you look like you've got it all planned well. Idk bout cutting wires off though that always makes me nervous lol.
            Wish I could strip mine down an take it to be powdercoated
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

just wanted to post up some pics of my most recent work. I knew i was going to be replacing the chain but i figured i would give you guys something to about! The PO clearly never cleaned this bike or lubricated a single part on it lol!!!

As for the wiring harnes, im just referring to the main part that runs up to the cluster. The main ground wire comes up and is split about 5 times, for my new cluster i only require a single ground and a single power wire.
              Attached Files

Comment

As you can see from those pics, that shock has had a long hard life! does anyone know any direct swaps that work. Ive read about alot of guys using R1 shocks, but are they a direct swap?

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldDuck91 View Post
                  As you can see from those pics, that shock has had a long hard life! does anyone know any direct swaps that work. Ive read about alot of guys using R1 shocks, but are they a direct swap?

I don't know about the r1 shock. Just about all the shocks from other bikes will change the ride height of the tail. The 08+ r6 shocks only need a couple of custom bushings to make the top bolt holes match up in size and can be used and are also rebuildable. It's going to lower the rear by about 3/4" though. The 2nd gen bandit 1200 shocks can be used and are rebuildable... but raise the rear by nearly 2".

An early 90s (like 90-92 range I believe) GSXR shock can be rebuilt and used. That would keep the stock ride height and give you a good rebuildable performance shock.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If he goes with the R6 shock will that 3/4" make a very noticeable difference if the front is stock height or make it look good?
                    1999 Kat 600 w/ exhaust and some other small goodies!!!

Comment

Jet kit is Factory pro stage 1, do not use any other air filter than what came with the bike, You will have running issues if you do. Other than that, get back to work, we want to see progress, pics,pics,pics

Originally posted by MmmDatKat View Post
                      If he goes with the R6 shock will that 3/4" make a very noticeable difference if the front is stock height or make it look good?
                      I have the shock, I don't notice much difference. Unless your running alot of twisties you might feel a difference.
                      Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-07-2013, 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Looks like you have a good plan there..i like the koso gauges your talking about,I have the oil temp one. works perfect. I got their heated grips yes stay away from k&n pods, should be nice when your done.

Comment

As far as filling in the holes on tge plastic pick up the tqo part plastic epoxy from napa its a bit pricey but the easiest way I've found and I've tried just about every way. Make sure what ever he does do not use bondo or fiberglass as it has no flex and will crack or fall off when the plastics flex.
                          never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                          Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                          confused katana build

Comment

So i havent had much time to work on the bike as my fiancee and i recently bought our first home. After seeing the bike in pieces in the garage for the last few months ive decided to start back at it. I want to ride this summer so im gonna get the necessities done and over with and pick at this cosmetics over time. Ive recently picked up a full supertrapp exhaust off a gsxr 750 for 100 shipped. Its in pretty good shape just needs a good cleaning. I am going to be purchasing a rear tire shortly and hopefully a new chain. Other then that, i have my new gauge wired up and its working quite well. Will post a vid soon if possible.

Oh and i bought myself a new toy as well.... 2010 honda civic sport. only 25000k on it for 14500. Wish it was yellow to match the bike lol.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X