1996 600 Rescue/Rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 600 Rescue/Rebuild

Hi All,

Picked up this white 96 600 w/ 118xx miles for 600$ the other day off of craigslist. It was intended for my wife to ride, but after i brought it home she sat on it and thinks its too high and wants to keep riding my 85 virago 1000.

It needs some TLC. The previous owner hit some gravel in a corner and lost it, then when he finished fixing it from that his garage door fell down and re-broke the windscreen, brake lever, right mirror, and passenger side fairing, and the grab handle. Went to pick it up and the owner was very frustrated that it wouldnt start (apparently he had had it running a week prior on starting fluid for a minute, but was the first time in a year or more). I noticed that the fuel petcock was not allowing any fuel out (the lines were completely dry and somehow varnish free), then proceeded to check for spark, which was present. I took it home, took the petcock off and after some direction from these lovely forums noticed the o-ring for the diaphragm was stuck to the petcock body and wasn't allowing any fuel by. I was happy to see that there 0 crud/build up in it. .99 cents and a battery later the bike fired right up!! Unfortunately it wont run off of less then 1/2 choke so the next time i get a chance im going to sea-foam it, check for vac leaks, then most likely pull and clean/rebuild the carbs (no point in not rebuilding them while they are off right?)

Hoping to achieve/order the following next 2-3 weeks:
    Remove super gay stickers (done)
    Order front tire
    New brake/clutch levers
    New windscreen
    New passenger seat/grab handle
    New F+R turn signals
    Install mirrors
    Seafoam/Eliminate Vac leaks or Pull clean/rebuild carbs

Looking forward to getting this Kat back to its former good condition.

-Seth

Good luck with it, while your at it you may as well POR15 your tank.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Welcome, good luck and nice find
      Ride like it's your last ride
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
        Good luck with it, while your at it you may as well POR15 your tank.
        http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPA...ductinfo/CTRK/

Thanks for the link. Tank is spotless inside, but if i can fit this in the budget ill do it.

Pulled the carbs off last night and took them apart. Pretty clean and none of the jets are clogged. Soaked them in carb cleaner overnight anyways and will be cleaning the bowls/bodies after work today. I seem to be missing vacuum caps on carbs #1-3. Also noticed 1+2 and 3+4 have a T with a line going onto the airbox then to nowhere, is there supposed to be another one between carb 2 and 3?

Comment

Originally posted by sdelivery View Post
          Thanks for the link. Tank is spotless inside, but if i can fit this in the budget ill do it.

Pulled the carbs off last night and took them apart. Pretty clean and none of the jets are clogged. Soaked them in carb cleaner overnight anyways and will be cleaning the bowls/bodies after work today. I seem to be missing vacuum caps on carbs #1-3. Also noticed 1+2 and 3+4 have a T with a line going onto the airbox then to nowhere, is there supposed to be another one between carb 2 and 3?
          No there isn't supposed to be another T conection between two and three. If you take a close look at the space between Carbs 2 & 3, it should be blocked off.

Good luck with your build!

Looks like a very rescue-able bike.
          2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
          - Aaron

Comment

Got all my carb o-rings in this week, as well as the ebay levers and brake lever mounting hardware. Picked up a set of DOT blinkers and a riding jacket for my wife today too. Finished cleaning/rebuilding the carbs last night. Definitely were not as complicated as everyone made them seem, although studying carbs 101 may have helped with that. Visually sync'd them and re-installed them today. Had a really hard time pressing the carbs back into their boots on the engine side with the airbox attached (was pressing so hard the boot for carb 1 pushed halfway into the airbox), ended up taking it back off, then removing the bracket the battery box mounts to. Went to sync them with my home-made sync tool and murphy's law decided to intervene. Apparently one of my vac caps decided it wanted to be one with the diaphragm cover and broke the nipple off with it. It idled great at around 1200 from the visual sync and finally ran off of choke, but occasionally it would still rev itself up to 2500 RPMs, cant for the life of me figure out why. Needless to say ironing out the idling problems is on hold until i can order another cap.

Moved on to installing the levers, re-adjusting the clutch cable, and throttle play. Yes that's a snow blower gas tank. Easier to move around then the stock tank and i figure itll do just fine until i get it running properly

After i finished that up I decided to tackle the rats nest of wiring in the back. Eventually sorted it out, cut out 6 feet of wiring and resistors for the LED blinkers that were installed, bent the edges of the plate bracket so my blinkers would face the rear and mounted everything. Dont look bad, although ill either need to fab a new fender eliminator or notch the fairings a little to clear.

Thats it for now. Plan on adjusting the valves and re-wiring the front turn signal harness while i wait for the diaphragm cover to get here.

Comment

Working...
            X