No announcement yet.
X

My Project GSXR PIC HEAVY!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so, mostly done sanding. Have only the wet sanding now. I'll not waste time with those pictures. BUT...I did get a new rearset(Thanks Old Man(Harry)). I decided to try my hand at headlight repair as well. I didn't buy a kit, I just went with...

100 Grit sanding:

220 Grit:

400 Grit:

800 Grit:

Must've forgotten to take one of the 1000 Grit, but here's after 1000 Grit and waxing...Not polishing or buffing compound(which I know would have done a much better job), regular car cleaner/wax:

I also repaired/replaced tabs and alignment pegs:

Other side:

Tabs that were missing/broken. Top:

Bottom:

Comparison pictures of my rearset vs the replacement rearset the top one is the new one:

The new one is on the LEFT.

Doing a little more sanding today, maybe try to pretty up the headlight some more where I replaced the alignment pegs. Still have to get a left side clip-on, front wheel(These are insane to find cheap...And straight. I can find straight, just not for cheap). Still have to order chain and sprockets, tires and mirrors, should be good to go then. OH, I also bought a replacement starter gear cover for $50.00 SHIPPED...WITH a spare starter AND gears!!! It's on, just waiting for the gaskets.
    sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
    2004 Katana 600 - Gone
    2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Sounds like it's all coming together. Congrats! It'll be great to see the finished product!
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        Sounds like it's all coming together. Congrats! It'll be great to see the finished product!
        Seems like it'll be FOREVER to see it though, LoL!!! Saved a BUNCH of money not buying the fairings or replacing the headlight, or buying the rearset, but the paint will run me a couple hundred(total with sandpaper, primer, clear, etc), tires are another couple hundred, chain and sprockets another FEW hundred...It's gonna be a while.
        sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
        2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Rome wasn't built in a day
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Copy that. I'm not upset about it at all. This was actually what I was LOOKING for. I like having to work to make it what it will be. It's so easy to buy a "perfect" bike. A bit harder when you do it yourself. In my case...This was really the ONLY way. SSD doesn't pay for ****, so I do what I can. Just hoping it turns out as nice as it CAN look. I'll keep ya updated though. I, for one LOVE seeing projects come together. The transformation(s) can be amazing.
            sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
            2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

So you did the wet sanding with diff kinds of grit paper and wax it? That's a great result.
              My headlight is one of my next little projects. This might come in very handy. Thanks.
              Last edited by ErrEs; 03-17-2012, 06:18 AM.
              Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Yup, I didn't have 2K or 3K paper, so if you grab some of that and follow after the 1K wet sand that I did, your result should be MUCH much better. I may be buying some 3K paper sometime to try to get it a little more clear.
                sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Okay, so my replacement starter gear covers(and starter and gears...$50.00 shipped, wasn't passing THAT one up!!!) showed up the other day, and just yesterday, the gaskets showed up. Oil leak fixed, no JB on it anymore.

Got on CL the other day, and to my UTTER surprise, I found an UNREAL deal on my front wheel. The outer lip has a VERY small ding(wheel weight will take care of that), buuuut...The front AND rear wheel(same EXACT colors and scheme as mine, which I LOVE), both tires, all three rotors, cush drive and sprocket...$140.00. Should be getting a shipping quote today from SC. I figure even if I put out $100.00 in shipping, I've still stolen them. Here's a few pics of the replacement(s):

I'll post a before and after of the passenger seat(so you don't have to go back to the first page to look at it), I decided to sew it up to see how it would turn out. I'm pretty pleased with the result(and that I saved yet MORE money, LoL!!!).

Before:

During:

After:

So, yeah. Just waiting to see what condition the tires are in, to see how long I have to buy my new ones. Still looking for a decent deal on mirrors(I have had ZERO luck with Emgo, so I'm not even going to bother), a good fairing stay(headlight), waiting to get my left side clip-on from Harry, then chain and sprockets. I may be forgetting a few things, but I have to be honest, I'm beat and just want to take a nap.

Oh, yeah...And have to paint the fairings yet...
                  sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                  2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Paint's overrated. You can do that next winter. Weather's getting really nice.

Nice job on the seat.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Paint's overrated. You can do that next winter. Weather's getting really nice.

Nice job on the seat.
                      Indeed, the biggest part is almost done, just using spot filler to fill a couple low spots. Need to pick up an oil filter and some oil so I can get that changed, most likely will grab plugs as well.

'till the wheels get here, no riding it for me. Those tires are just horrible.

More to come (HOPEFULLY)shortly.
                      sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Glad to see your progress brother. I only just got around to ordering some parts for mine lol.
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Comming together nicely . You definetly have a lot more patience when it comes to plastic repair than I do.
                          John,
                          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                            Comming together nicely . You definetly have a lot more patience when it comes to plastic repair than I do.
                            Getting close to losing it, LoL!!! Just ready to hang the stuff up and paint! Sadly, I know it wouldn't turn out as good as it -COULD-, so looks like I'm doing some more patching/sanding. Have bowling leagues today, then back home to start on them again. I'll be honest though...I haven't sanded the bolt holes out yet. That is BY FAR, the thing I hate most about doing the fairings. I can't STAND doing those little
                            sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                            2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                              I haven't sanded the bolt holes out yet. That is BY FAR, the thing I hate most about doing the fairings. I can't STAND doing those little
                              I totally agree with that.
                              Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

So, there were three dents in the tank, one was from the bent clip-on that was on the left side. The other two, dunno. So, I started to sanding and found out it had even MORE dents at some point in time. Thing is, could never tell by looking, or even running your hand over it. Here's a few pics:

Right side

Again

Left side:

Back up...

So, yeah. Looks like I'll be doing some Bondo'ing of my own. Just hope I can do it HALF as good as whoever fixed it the first time.
                                sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                                2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Working...
                                X