No announcement yet.
X

My efi bandit swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a little bit of progress yesterday got the B12 bolted in. Tried to just use my floor jack but it was damn near impossible to do by myself. So I broke down and just bought a lift, it will come in handy on my next major project.

Now its up on the lift and I swaped out the alternators and hooked up the wires. Next step will be figuring out the speedo sensor/shifter and getting the breather cap to fit.

I guess all the easy work is done lol.

Comment

Engine hoist, maintenance stand, clean(ish) garage... I'm jealous!
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I wish you had asked....... I have a much simpler way to swap engines in and out.

Most of the time with 600's and 750's (never tried an 1100 or 1200), I can just bolt in the rearmost cradle bolts, and then swing it up by hand. They're heavy, but not THAT heavy (and I'm not a big guy).

If I can't do that, then I throw a lashing strap (like a ratchet strap, but with no ratchet, just a one-way buckle) around the engine cradle cross bar, and around the frame cross bar directly above it where the coils mount. Yank on the strap, and up it goes.

Hoists do come in handy sometimes, though.... like for replacing steering head bearings, for example. I'm sure you'll get some use out of it.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Engine hoist, maintenance stand, clean(ish) garage... I'm jealous!
          +1000
          If I the funds to go out and get a lift on a wim, my build would be done. But like LnL stated it is pretty easy to swap out motors without a lift. I think the last swap I stacked some wood put the engine n cradle on top and dropped the frame around it.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Where did you get the lift? Looks nice.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Probably from Harbor Freight!

disclaimer: The preceding statement is blatant Arsenic baiting. Feel free to disregard.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That's the Kendon sport lift, I have the same one.

For the breather cover, just swap the one from the kat motor on.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  Where did you get the lift? Looks nice.
                  I was thinking the same thing, that lift looks awesome.

Good luck with the swap. I don't have the patience or space to do something like this.
                  Last edited by professa_riddler; 10-31-2011, 08:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    That's the Kendon sport lift, I have the same one.

For the breather cover, just swap the one from the kat motor on.
                    Yup that's what it is. I really like because you can stand it up on its end to store it. As for the breather, that's my plan I just ran out of time to do it.

Comment

So this weekend looks like it will be a relatively unproductive one, besides from ordering parts. I am hoping I can have everything I need in the next week or 2.

Cintidude04, what fuel pump and regulator did you go with on your build?

Comment

I'm out of town at the moment so I'm unable to check. Got them new on eBay. Just make sure you have an inline (or in tank if you can make it work) pump that will push at least 45 psi. And the regulator will keep your pressure at your needed level.
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Well I was able to get a little bit done this weekend. I got the breather cap mounted on, had to notch out the frame because there was no way that it was going to fit.

Its going to make taking the valve cover off to adjust the valves in the future a major *** pain . Got the Microsquirt mounted and started running some of the wires.

I order some more parts yesterday, so hopefully next weekend I can keep chugging along .

Comment

Any updates on the Microsquirt? Have you been documenting the process?
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Just swap the breather cover from the kat motor, and you don't have to notch the frame support.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                                Just swap the breather cover from the kat motor, and you don't have to notch the frame support.
                                Yes you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X