X

Swingarm Mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingarm Mod

Ok, so I decide last year to have my swingarm extended and widened on my 2000 GSX750F. I've had plenty of help since I'm not a bike mechanic and have had to pretty much learn as I go. Kreylyn lengthened and widened it for me and hopefully Jim will be working on the front and rear sprockets. I decided to go with a rim off of a 2002 TL1000r. I had to by the rim, hub, axle & spacers, caliper bracket and rotor all separate from one another because at the time I was buying nothing being sold as 1. I already painted the the rim and bought the 200 tire I was wanting and now I am getting closer to finishing the project. I am waiting for the swingarm to get done a t the machine shop where its getting the axle slots widened to accept the thicker TL axle. I intend to get this thing done within the next month so wish me luck. I'm going to try to get a couple of pics on here, but I am computer illiterate so bare with me. I will start with what I have so far and add the pics as I progress. Thanx again Krey, Jim and who could forget ebay, lol.
    I got this 240 rotor on ebay for $45bucks shipped
    0310111414.jpg

0310111416.jpg
    I will be going with a different rear sprocket
    0310111418.jpg
    Last edited by slim68; 03-11-2011, 02:12 AM. Reason: missing description
    Sliminator

Lol short long term project thread, if it's almost done. Glad you got it under control. Definitely wanna see pics of the fat tire on the back when ya get it installed.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

should look super nice please put some pics when done. if you are using factory swing arm it will be very tight. i do have on mine a 92 gsxr rim with a 190 and it was close, now i do have extensions on and its plenty of room
      Last edited by jerry; 03-22-2011, 11:06 PM.
      LET'S GO AND RIDE

Comment

Erick,
        I got your sprocket carrier today..

and for anyone who's interested the 98-02 tl carrier is the same as the 98-00 gsxr carrier...

Just to ad a bit of info.. the front sprocket will have a +5mm offset and the rear needs a -5mm offset to make things line up. Removing the 5mm from the sprocket is really not the safest way to accomplish this (IMO) the carrier will be turned to remove the 5mmm (.197") this will let a standard sprocket fit and only the one custom front will be needed.

As soon as I have pics of the hub after its cut, I'll post some pics.
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by jerry View Post
          should look super nice please put some pics when done. if you are using factory swing arm it will be very tight. i do have on mine a 92 gsxr rim with a 190 and it was close, now i do have extensions on and its plenty of room
          @ jerry, Kreylyn modded the swinger for me by adding 6" to its length and widening it as well.@ Jim, I can't wait to see what it looks like.and thanks again to both you and Krey.
          Sliminator

Comment

Originally posted by slim68 View Post
            @ jerry, Kreylyn modded the swinger for me by adding 6" to its length and widening it as well.@ Jim, I can't wait to see what it looks like.and thanks again to both you and Krey.
            I don't remember Tim ever extending one. Must have happened during that "bad time" last year maybe. I'd actually love to see pics of it.
            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
              I don't remember Tim ever extending one. Must have happened during that "bad time" last year maybe. I'd actually love to see pics of it.

I thought I had more online, but I must not have loaded them up.

That's a 93 GSXR 600 5.5" wheel with 20mm axle set in it for reference.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

I thought I had more online, but I must not have loaded them up.

That's a 93 GSXR 600 5.5" wheel with 20mm axle set in it for reference.

Krey
                Weird, I recognize the wheel and I can place the time frame by the flowers in the background, but I so don't remember you doing that one. What else have you been doing that I don't know about?
                Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

What else have you been doing that I don't know about?
                  Some things may be best left unsaid...
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                    Some things may be best left unsaid...
                    Sliminator

Comment

JUst got it back from the machine shop where they were widening the slots to accept the bigger axleand straightening it because UPS decided to drive a forklift into it after Krey got done with it. They bent it so bad it had to be re-cut and re-welded. Anyway, now I have to have some 1/4" thick by 1-1/4" long flat pieces of metalo welded on so that the axle doesn't spin as I tighten it then I can paint it again. Then I have to send for the sprockets and hub from 7th Gear, get a chain, brake hose, swinger bearings and hub bearings. Almost there and the anticipation is killing me.

0331111222[1].jpg

6' stretch and widened.
                      Sliminator

Comment

Your sprockets are done... here is the rear... it weighs .8lb

Last edited by GSXFJim; 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM.
                        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

now THAT is a sexy sprocket!

Comment

Nice!
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Swwwweeeeeeeet! Can't wait to get this thing done. Still have to order the chain and brake line, then do a quick mock up before I send the swinger to get powder coated black chrome.
                              Sliminator

Comment

Working...
                              X