Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet can't wait to them
    My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
    Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

• I to will be interested in purchasing a pair. I will be looking to see what you have in mind of a cost. Man thoses are terrific looking.
      keep up the great work.
      1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot(sold)
      1992 GSXF Katana 750(sold 2014)
      1994 GSXF Katana 600 (gave away)
      2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-90 (sold)
      2003 GSX 1300R Hayabusa (purchased 2013)

I MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST DUDE YOUVE SEEN ON A 750 KAT.....

Comment

• trip lever on the speedometer...

Hey gotta a question for ya ...how did u take off the speedometer. I am having trouble tryint to get my trip lever on...is it a hard task to get off the face and put it back on? i want to know before i tear into it and mess it up...thanks

Originally posted by MrBrant View Post
        The project begins!

I picked up a '94 750 last October. Only got to ride a few times, but really enjoyed the bike!
        It's in pretty good shape for it's age. Some plastic damage that will be fixed this winter, and in need of a good carb cleaning, etc.

One of the projects I've wanted to do for years (on a car/bike, boat, etc.) has been a digital gauge cluster from scratch.

I figured while it's winter and -30 out for the next several months, it would be a good time to do this to the Katana.

I decided to try and keep as much as the Katana look and layout as possible. This was mostly to keep things simple. By keeping everything in the stock gauge housings, I won't need to do any fancy kludging to get it to fit and (more importantly) look nice. Also, hoping to keep it waterproof this way.

See the concept attachment. (ignore the word "multifunction" everywhere. It was a concept :P )
        [ATTACH]15330[/ATTACH]

The plan:

Left hand gauge (old speedometer)
        - Tachometer (analog-style) in LED's around the outer edge. 60 LED's total!
        - Speedometer (digital) in large digits in the centre
        - Odometer below. Will have trip counters as well as odometer.
        This one board will have a total of 132 LED's between the digit segments and the tach

Centre gauge (old gas gauge)
        - Gas Gauge (analog style)
        - Gear indicator. (will get info from speedo/tach to determine gear)
        - Might try for oil temperature here as well...... We'll see if i can find a good sender, etc.

Right-hand gauge (old tachometer)
        - Will house a 16x2 line LCD info display.
        - Will have a GPS receiver
        - The plan is to display things like position, heading, GPS speed, charge system voltage, etc.
        - will also serve as the control interface for the while cluster (controlling things like brightness level, km/h or mph, etc.)

So, as of today (12/31) here's what I have done:

- Cluster removed from bike.
        - Speedo removed from cluster and taken apart. I now have a nice housing to work with. (also, I cut off the damn odometer reset dial because it was ****ing me off! Therefore I am now committed! )
        [ATTACH]15332[/ATTACH]
        - Have all 60 LED's placed on my circuit board layout. (haven't yet finished the schematic/netlist though)
        [ATTACH]15331[/ATTACH]

Should be a fun project!

Comment

• You do projects like my wife. Get started and then let it sit for a couple years. That's why I keep on one project until it's done, then move on!

I would love to see this one completed. The opportunity is there if you want to take it. I imagine quite a few would pony up some bucks for a set like this. I know I would if you offered something for my 600.
          Ron
          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

• Umm meanstrk was this meant for me? Im lost?

Comment

• Naw. The original poster. This was started quite a while ago!
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

• hey man i love the idea you have going on here if you have a chance send me a message i have a few questions about your plans.

Comment

• Great work. Very impressive !

Comment

Working...
                  X