Pre 750 custom digital gauge project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 750 custom digital gauge project

The project begins!

I picked up a '94 750 last October. Only got to ride a few times, but really enjoyed the bike!
    It's in pretty good shape for it's age. Some plastic damage that will be fixed this winter, and in need of a good carb cleaning, etc.

One of the projects I've wanted to do for years (on a car/bike, boat, etc.) has been a digital gauge cluster from scratch.

I figured while it's winter and -30 out for the next several months, it would be a good time to do this to the Katana.

I decided to try and keep as much as the Katana look and layout as possible. This was mostly to keep things simple. By keeping everything in the stock gauge housings, I won't need to do any fancy kludging to get it to fit and (more importantly) look nice. Also, hoping to keep it waterproof this way.

See the concept attachment. (ignore the word "multifunction" everywhere. It was a concept :P )
    Gauge concept 1 (Large).jpg

The plan:

Left hand gauge (old speedometer)
    - Tachometer (analog-style) in LED's around the outer edge. 60 LED's total!
    - Speedometer (digital) in large digits in the centre
    - Odometer below. Will have trip counters as well as odometer.
    This one board will have a total of 132 LED's between the digit segments and the tach

Centre gauge (old gas gauge)
    - Gas Gauge (analog style)
    - Gear indicator. (will get info from speedo/tach to determine gear)
    - Might try for oil temperature here as well...... We'll see if i can find a good sender, etc.

Right-hand gauge (old tachometer)
    - Will house a 16x2 line LCD info display.
    - Will have a GPS receiver
    - The plan is to display things like position, heading, GPS speed, charge system voltage, etc.
    - will also serve as the control interface for the while cluster (controlling things like brightness level, km/h or mph, etc.)

So, as of today (12/31) here's what I have done:

- Cluster removed from bike.
    - Speedo removed from cluster and taken apart. I now have a nice housing to work with. (also, I cut off the damn odometer reset dial because it was ****ing me off! Therefore I am now committed! )
    PC310182 (Large).JPG
    - Have all 60 LED's placed on my circuit board layout. (haven't yet finished the schematic/netlist though)
    TachSpeedOdo Layout1.jpg

Should be a fun project!
    Last edited by MrBrant; 12-31-2009, 07:20 PM.

Just an FYI, I have an LED sweep tach and it's pretty difficult to see in bright sunlight. Cool project, nice to see someone taking on a real challenge.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I actually was a little worried about that, but I think with the tinted windshield and the BRIGHT LED's I'll be using it should be all right.

Does your LED tach have bright and dim settings for day and night riding?

I'll be putting in a light level sensor and PWM dimming so that I can keep them dim at night and (hopefully) bright as snot during the day!

Comment

And you're going to add 2 extra gears to the transmission?

Looks like a really neat project.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBrant View Post
          Does your LED tach have bright and dim settings for day and night riding?
          No it doesn't. It just gets hard to see the black sweep on the green background during the day. At night the backlight is orange so it's really easy to see. Not too big of a complaint for me, but just something to consider.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Here's what the Tach/Speedo/Odo gauge will contain. (yes, I know you can't really see anything - haha)

Going to be quite the challenge to find room for everything!!
            Attached Files

Comment

dakota digital has some very nice gauges (nicer than anything you could make from scratch) they are kinda pricey but if you are willing to drop about $200 anyway you can get a really nice multi gauge from them that will come with speed sensors and all the hardware you need to install it.

dakotadigital.com
              " Chaos was the law of nature, Order was the dream of man "

my bike
              95 pre-kat 750

Comment

Looks good...can't wait to see the final product...wish I knew more about electronic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Skilo47 View Post
                  dakota digital has some very nice gauges (nicer than anything you could make from scratch) they are kinda pricey but if you are willing to drop about $200 anyway you can get a really nice multi gauge from them that will come with speed sensors and all the hardware you need to install it.

dakotadigital.com
                  they do have some petty nifty gauges. I also like the Acewell gauges.
                  Though I would disagree with the "nicer than anything you can make from scratch"

perhaps nicer than can be made with limited time and resources

Besides, what's the fun in customizing if you just throw on readily available components!?

Comment

they do have some petty nifty gauges. I also like the Acewell gauges.
                    Though I would disagree with the "nicer than anything you can make from scratch"

perhaps nicer than can be made with limited time and resources

Besides, what's the fun in customizing if you just throw on readily available components!?
                    lol i meant no offense.

im sure you could make some sweet gauges. i just thought i would recommend them to ya as i myself am in the market for new gauges for my SF mod project.

my bike
                    95 pre-kat 750

Comment

check these guys out:

alot of those look like they would suit a fighter perfectly (in my opinion)

Comment

I'll be watching this progress. I can't decide what to do with my gauges. I was leaning towards Koso gauges, but who knows. What do you plan to use for the gear indicator?

Comment

check these guys out:

alot of those look like they would suit a fighter perfectly (in my opinion)
                          wow those do look kool.

here is my street fighter ideas thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104944

my bike
                          95 pre-kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by sporty_drew View Post
                            I'll be watching this progress. I can't decide what to do with my gauges. I was leaning towards Koso gauges, but who knows. What do you plan to use for the gear indicator?
                            The speedometer/Tachometer gauge will do some quick math to determine the ratio between engine speed and wheel speed. As long as the clutch isn't pulled in (or slipping) this ratio will be constant and different for each gear.

It will then send that information to the centre gauge with the gear display.

Obviously this can't tell you what gear your'e in as you're stopped at a red light or anything, but as long as you're moving, it will give you a gear #.

This is pretty much the way (i assume) all the aftermarket gear indicators work.

Comment

Got my speed sensor in today

Ordered it from http://www.electrosport.com/ It's meant for a DR-Z, but looks like it will work perfectly in the pre-Kat. (crosses fingers!*)

It's a 2-wire hall-effect sensor built into a housing that should plug right into the receptacle on the front hub.
                              It won't give a nice, clean square wave output (since I think it's a raw 2-wire sensor element), but Maxim makes a sweet little (and I mean little!) all-in-one chip solution to read in raw hall sensors.

Hope it works!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X