Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Pictorial - Katana Swingarm mod to fit GSXR Wheel.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been looking at the forms here for over a year and don't really post much but I see enough here that Krey and all of you do great work. I have a couple newbie questions so please forgive me if they are obvious. First off I was wondering if a 6" hayabusa wheel will fit with Krey's swingarm mod. And if it would I was thinking about using new bearings in the wheel with the stock axle and bandit adjusters and probably custom spacers. Finally I was looking in my haynes manual and I saw it listed a gsx750 as having a 5.5" rear wheel. Has anyone tried using these swingarms in katanas?
    Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by drjmoo1 View Post
      I have been looking at the forms here for over a year and don't really post much but I see enough here that Krey and all of you do great work. I have a couple newbie questions so please forgive me if they are obvious. First off I was wondering if a 6" hayabusa wheel will fit with Krey's swingarm mod. And if it would I was thinking about using new bearings in the wheel with the stock axle and bandit adjusters and probably custom spacers. Finally I was looking in my haynes manual and I saw it listed a gsx750 as having a 5.5" rear wheel. Has anyone tried using these swingarms in katanas?
      Thanks for your help!
      I just received mine widened swingarm from Krey today for a 99 gsxr 600 5.5 rear wheel. I think you'll find it much easier to widen your katana swingarm to fit the wheel then, mod your bike and gsxr swingarm.
      Richard
      Attached Files
      96 Suzuki GSX750F
      89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
      05 Yamaha WR450F
      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Man that looks killer!

Comment

Originally posted by ep87 View Post
          I just received mine widened swingarm from Krey today for a 99 gsxr 600 5.5 rear wheel. I think you'll find it much easier to widen your katana swingarm to fit the wheel then, mod your bike and gsxr swingarm.
          Richard
          Thanks for the pictures. It looks great! Maybe you misunderstood I want to do krey's mod but I wanted to do it with a six inch wheel instead and wasn't sure about axle sizes and tensioner sizes.
          Thanks for your quick reply.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. It looks great! Maybe you misunderstood I want to do krey's mod but I wanted to do it with a six inch wheel instead and wasn't sure about axle sizes and tensioner sizes.
            Oh I see, I'm pretty sure it can be done. The axle on my swap is 28mm which is much larger then the stock, I'm going to be using 1st gen. SV adjusters, there a lot like the bandit adjusters except the bolt is off set and will work better with the huge axle. Check with Krey he's done the mod with all sorts of axle and wheel combos and could most likely tell you exactly what you'll need.
            Richard
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ep87; 03-08-2011, 12:25 AM.
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

pretty sure if you read this thread Krey already said he's done this with the 6 inch wheel, the thing is knowing the axle size and whatnot of the wheel you plan to use.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

6" busa wheels require custom chain adjusters and offset rear sprockets to be made. Other than those 2 items, your looking at pretty much the same mod as ep87 is doing.

Any suzuki 6" rim will have the larger axles (28 or 32mm) and the chain is 10mm further from center than 3.5 - 5.5 suzuki wheels.

GSXFJim (Kat member here) runs 7th Gear designs (in the Katana store) and he can and has made custom speced parts for me at very reasonabe prices. He can make the offset rear sprocket to help counter the chain possition so you can keep the wheel centered (I checked with him already for someone else, don't know if they went through with the mod...) I'm sure he can also do the custom adjuster blocks inside for the larger axles if you don't have tools/access to do it yourself.

The original mod posted here was my first time and a learning experiance. Since, I've changed up a few things... I now focus on making almost all the changes to the swingarm instead of custom pieces except when absolutly nessasary. It is better keeping as many of the wheel parts OEM as possible both cost wise, and in functionality. Use the OEM bearings, axle, spacers, so on... . In the end, I've found this much more cost effective and easier to impliment.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hey

I know its an old thread but nice work. That is awesome.

Is there a listing of appropriate wheels that will fit and what years/bike its off.
                  Last edited by joes280; 05-15-2011, 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Krey is God

Originally posted by joes280 View Post
                    I know its an old thread but nice work. That is awesome.

Is there a listing of appropriate wheels that will fit and what years/bike its off.
                    Wow what a right up and an intresting discussion .
                    I have been thinking about doing the gzxr rear on my 05 but wasnt sure how tight it would be or if I'd have to go with a custom swing arm.
                    What a great thread to have read .
                    If it was made of wood I'd have done it already metal, slows me down thanks again

Great job as usual Krey
                    I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Hi Track Rider,i was just reading about your swingarm widening,and have been around my town i live in and tried to get some1 to do it and no one would.So now im asking if u would do this for me.I am in australia and dont mind sending you my swingarm but i thaught maybe it would be cheaper for me to see if u would find one over there and what would it cost me for the swingarm and the widening and spools to match 5 1/2 gsxr rim,same as what u have done in the pics.O and i ride a 1989gsxf750 ill put some pics up later.

Comment

Hi.i believe my above question should have been for Kreylyn.Sorry about that.

Comment

....Even as it's an old thread......what i did know about metals ,doesn't compare to what i know now!
                          So, TOP Conversion......Top Conversation...........TOP Thread.......
                          I'm outa here

Comment

Great post!
                            '94 Katana 600
                            '93 Mazda RX-7

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
                            ― Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

I was wondering if instead of the gsxr wheel could i fit a hayabusa wheel if id make the arm a bit wider, and is it the axle the same size?

Comment

Originally posted by simtouk View Post
                                I was wondering if instead of the gsxr wheel could i fit a hayabusa wheel if id make the arm a bit wider, and is it the axle the same size?
                                You can but as said in other comments here, there is an offset of 10mm on the rear sprocket and the axle bolt is bigger...read back and you will find your answer

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                                6" busa wheels require custom chain adjusters and offset rear sprockets to be made. Other than those 2 items, your looking at pretty much the same mod as ep87 is doing.
                                Any suzuki 6" rim will have the larger axles (28 or 32mm) and the chain is 10mm further from center than 3.5 - 5.5 suzuki wheels.
                                GSXFJim (Kat member here) runs 7th Gear designs (in the Katana store) and he can and has made custom speced parts for me at very reasonabe prices. He can make the offset rear sprocket to help counter the chain possition so you can keep the wheel centered (I checked with him already for someone else, don't know if they went through with the mod...) I'm sure he can also do the custom adjuster blocks inside for the larger axles if you don't have tools/access to do it yourself.
                                The original mod posted here was my first time and a learning experiance. Since, I've changed up a few things... I now focus on making almost all the changes to the swingarm instead of custom pieces except when absolutly nessasary. It is better keeping as many of the wheel parts OEM as possible both cost wise, and in functionality. Use the OEM bearings, axle, spacers, so on... . In the end, I've found this much more cost effective and easier to impliment.
                                ......Krey
                                Last edited by ManQu; 09-17-2012, 06:19 AM.
                                I'm outa here

Comment

Working...
                                X