X

I crashed my Katana on my birthday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iwannadie
    i broke my collar bone and it was displaced, the hospital decided it was the least of my worries at the time and didnt bother to set it. basically the bone looked like _- . it healed up great but has a big knot where the bones joined back together. also causing my left shoulder to be an inch shorter than my right... ive never noticed it but other people say they can tell, doesnt bother me though but just something you should be ready for incase you have the same problems.
    I broke mine length-wise by being low-tackled during a football game by a guy whose GF was flirting with me (I ended up with the girl when her Florence Nightinggale syndrome kicked in & we dated for a year. Moral of the story: never leave the new guy needing nuturing if your GF's flirting with him). Because of the time/place of my life and some poor medical advice on the part of my father, I didn't seek any medical attention for a week, by which time it was basically too late to do more than give me an colarbone angel brace (think bra without the cups in the front -- keeps your shoulders back). Although my shoulder isn't any lower than the other, the bone is about twice as thick as it was before...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OMG it's an actual restaurant chain!?!?

Who would ever think to associate chicken wings and motor oil.

You Americans are crazy.

Comment

Re: I crashed my Katana on my birthday

Originally posted by Junior
        Originally posted by Negster
        Quaker Steak & Lube
        I hope that's a typo....but if it's not, I'll never eat there.
        Nah dude, their pretty famous down here in America land.. Great place to munch on some grindage

Sorry to hear that though man, that really sux, and especially on your birthday.

Comment

OMG it's an actual restaurant chain!?!?

Who would ever think to associate chicken wings and motor oil.

You Americans are crazy.
          I just posted up that same thing for ya, I cant believe u never heard of that place before

I completely agree, he was lucky to be wearing the helmet. It definately saved his life.

But after doing a search on eBay for Vega helmets I see that they can be purchased brand new from numerous online stores for $50us. I'm wondering if a better quality of helmet would have reduced the bruising/injury to the head.

All that counts is that you were wearing something on your noggin.
          Ive been wearing a Vega helmet for the last 2 years.. They are Dot/Snell certified, very comfortable, alot of padding all the way around. They are quality helmets. If you land flat on your head ur liable to get atleast alittle bruise from where the helmet pushed against your skin, even with ample padding, just becuase of the shear force.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident, take it easy and heal up.
            Kyle

Comment

I would invest in a better helmet. Vegas are ok but no the best. Your jacket is the reason why I got rid of my Mesh one. JR mesh jackets do not hold up very well. Do yourself a favor and buy a leather jacket of a Leather/mesh combo. I would buy a First Gear or Teknic or Frank Thomas. The mesh on all those jackets are woven closer and still provide the air flow.

Glad you only came out with the collar bone broken. With that hit on the head you may have gotten a slight concussion. Heal up and get back out there.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Not a very good birthday present but at least you'll recover to ride again. I might have some parts for you if it will get you back on the road. Specifically, I have stock lights for the front if you need them.
                "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

How did you get a bruise on your head if you were wearing a helmet?

Cheap helmet with no padding?
                  I got a bruise on my forehead because I was thrown face first into the sidewalk very hard...and I usually only get the chicken wings at Quaker Steak.
                  sigpic
                  John - AKA: Negster
                  2005 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by seypea
                    leemme know if you intersted in getting the stock lenses, i still got mine.... good to here you're okay!
                    Thanks...but the first thing I thought about was having the chance to get the clear alternatives...
                    sigpic
                    2005 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      First, I'm really sorry to hear of your spill.

Quaker Steak and Lube on Wednesdays? There's usually drinking involved by too many riders to make me feel comfy riding away from there with anyone -- were you zero tolerance, or had you been imbibing?
                      Hey Cyber...

I do have concerns about driving away from there because I for one do not drink..I have zero tolerance! I just went there this Wednesday to show my kids all the motorcycles. They had gone in my truck with my wife and left before I did. I just ate some wings and had a bottle of Pepsi.
                      sigpic
                      2005 Katana 600

Comment

I do have concerns about driving away from there because I for one do not drink..I have zero tolerance! I just went there this Wednesday to show my kids all the motorcycles. They had gone in my truck with my wife and left before I did. I just ate some wings and had a bottle of Pepsi.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I completely agree, he was lucky to be wearing the helmet. It definately saved his life.

But after doing a search on eBay for Vega helmets I see that they can be purchased brand new from numerous online stores for $50us. I'm wondering if a better quality of helmet would have reduced the bruising/injury to the head.

All that counts is that you were wearing something on your noggin.
                          I bought this particular helmet at the Suzuki dealership for $150 when I bought the bike. I figured it was a decent helmet if the dealership was selling it.
                          sigpic
                          2005 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
                            Your jacket is the reason why I got rid of my Mesh one. JR mesh jackets do not hold up very well.
                            Actually, if you read the comments under the pic you would realize that I wrote the I had no upper body road rash because of the jacket and that the paramedics cut me out of the jacket.

The jacket was intact after the crash. I only discovered a little bit of road rash on the back of the left shoulder (and I broke the collar bone on my right side). The jacket was perfectly fine until the medics began to cut me out of it since I couldn't move my shoulder to wiggle out of it.

I do plan on getting a leather jacket, but the mesh is really nice down here in Florida in the summer when the temp is in the 90's. Thanks for the advice.
                            sigpic
                            2005 Katana 600

Comment

I do plan on getting a leather jacket, but the mesh is really nice down here in Florida in the summer when the temp is in the 90's. Thanks for the advice.
                              I live in Tampa and ride in perforated leather. As long as you're moving at all, it's no less bearable even mid-summer than mesh.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thank you all for the best wishes in my recovery. I do plan to get clear alternatives now since I need a turn signal cover anyway. And I also plan to get a better helmet, not that the one that I had did not do the job. I was thinking of getting an HJC. I also plan on getting two jackets, one for summer and one for winter riding.

About Quaker Steak...they have incredible wings! That's all I've ordered when I've gone the few times that I have. On bike night, they can have anywhere from 500 to 2,000 bikes or so. It's pretty cool to go see.

By the way, is it easy to fix road rash on the fairings or do I have to get new panels?
                                sigpic
                                2005 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X