X

Pre/Post part compatability?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre/Post part compatability?

I crashed my 98 600 tonight and looking at ebay, I noticed that there seem to be a lot more parts for the pre-98 bikes than for the 98+ bikes, and the parts are cheaper too.

At the bare minimum I'm going to need new forks, a new right side peg, a new rear brake pedal, and a new cover for what I believe is the stator. Would the pre-98 parts work, or will I have to stick to 98+ parts for these replacements?

Additionally, which other bikes would I possibly be able to source parts from?

The stator cover should work from any year Kat, or even possibly a bandit.
    Kyle

Comment

Use post forks for sure. Not sure if they changed in 03. Cover and brake lever use either. Not sure about the pegs. Bandits share the same engine.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-30-2016, 01:06 AM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I was afraid that I'd have to use post forks.

They're more than double the price of the pre forks on ebay.

Comment

If you're in a rush, might have to just buy what's available now, but eBay prices fluctuate. You can always check once a day for a month or two and you'll find something a little cheaper. Personally, i hate waiting, I'd find the best deal available now.

Something to keep in mind, whatever forks you get could probably use a rebuild or at least an oil change. Much easier to do before you install them.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I took off the fairings and the headers are pretty bent too.

Are they common between the pre and post bikes, or is this another item where I'll be limited to post?

Comment

Post HEADER, requires oil pan swap to work on a Pre.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I've seen "pre" and "post" mentioned numerous times on KR, but this is the first place I've seen any context r explanation. I was looking at some tire/wheel threads and the terms were thrown around alot. Just to clarify for my own benefit, "pre" means '98 or older and "post" refers to Kats newer than '98?

Comment

88-97 pre, 98-06 post. It's the body change year that separates the terms. And even 03-06 have minor changes to 98-02
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                  X