Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

DIY Secure, Water Tight-ish Bike Shelter???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Secure, Water Tight-ish Bike Shelter???

Has anyone built their own Bike shelter that was both secure and water tight/ rain proof? If so, how did you do it?

I don't have a garage and am looking for something small and compact that doesn't take up a lot of room as the space I have is limited. Just wondering if anyone else on here was in the same boat and built something themselves. I don't like the canopy style things because of security reasons. And I don't have $750+ to buy a prefab shelter. I don't live in a rough area, but its a piece of mind thing knowing that the bike is safe and secure and not getting rained on.

Its easy just to build a straight forward box out of wood with a flat top, but am looking for something a little more stylish. Plus a flat top will hold water and eventually collapse or start rotting. Anyone on here ever faced the same challenge?

Thanks in advance

Ply board is fairly cheap at the home improvement store.
    Just depends on how fancy you want to make it.
    You could build some thing sort of like a dog house, or Kat house in this instance for under $100 I bet.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Yup build it like a storage shed... Ummm $100 won't touch that. $500 would more than cover it and last years if built right.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The cheap ply wood I was speaking of is only $9.45 for a 4ft x 8ft slab. Add a few 2"x4" supports and some nails, comes to about $100.
        This is Lowes in Hamilton, where your profile says you are.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=2x4+wood...&Ntt=2x4+wood#!
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Thanks fells.

I have been looking all day for some ideas with the help of google. Found a DIY project that someone created and will give it a try. Doesn't look all that expensive to build which is nice.

Its basically a large rectangular cube that is hinged to a platform at one end of the box. The opposite side latches and can lock to something to prevent anyone from opening the box. Think of a rectangular box without the bottom. Lifted from one end while the opposite side is hinged to the base platform. Basically opens and closes like a ring jewellery box you get from the jeweler.

The top can be made to angle in any direction for water runoff. Probably going to build this. Cant be to expensive. Maybe could build it for under $200.

I will post a pic if and when it gets done. Planning to build this in the next 2-3 weeks when I have some free time.

Comment

Basically a crate.... I was thinking a real shed....
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Basically a crate.... I was thinking a real shed....
              Already have a 10x12 shed, but wont be able to fit the bike in once summer is here and all the seasonal stuff is back in it.

Don't have room for another shed. I basically only have a 5x15 area to work with that's free space in my back yard.

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
              The cheap ply wood I was speaking of is only $9.45 for a 4ft x 8ft slab. Add a few 2"x4" supports and some nails, comes to about $100.
              This is Lowes in Hamilton, where your profile says you are.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=2x4+wood...&Ntt=2x4+wood#!
              All wood would need to be pressure treated to hold up to rain and our Canadian winters
              Last edited by MotorBikeMike; 04-15-2016, 10:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you really want to go cheap, get PVC pipe, bend it rainbow style, cover it with plastic sheeting...watch out for wind.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                X