Need recomendations: Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been EXTREMELY happy with my Conti-Motions

Comment

Conti Motion for my first almost 3 years and 17000 miles.

No complaints.

As moto tires go, inexpensive.

Riding year round in Seattle weather (from dry at 21 degrees to raining at 36 to scorching at 95) they have felt secure and predictable, wet or dry. I found their limits in the wet a few times, spun up the rear on a wet tar snake at 40 mph +/-, tire/bike did nothing crazy, held the throttle till it slowly grabbed again, no fuss, no muss. Got a little loose in a few corners and was able to reign it in and keep it upright with no drama. Fun, decent, long lasting tire for me. And yes, you saw 17000 miles and yes, only one set.

New rider not pushing it much at all until recently, after upgrading the rear shock (B12) and forks (Race Tech).

All that said I know there are better tires out there.

New tires on the way, PR4.

Comment

SO I asked the PO of my Kat how many kilometers where driven on the old tires as they looked fairly new. Still had at least 50% tread on them. They were Michelin pilot 2's. Front was cupped and same with the rear. Front being the worst. He said he had the bike for one season, and the previous owner to him had just put the tires on before selling it to him. The guy that I bought it from said he did 17,000kms on the tires and was mostly highway. He also mentioned that he wasn't very good with checking tire pressures often enough and at times when he did, they were low.
        Could this cause the front and rear tires to cup?
        And is there a good test to see if the suspension is worn out? Bike is a 02 750 Kat with 29,000kms on the odometer.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorBikeMike View Post
          Bike is a 02 750 Kat with 29,000kms on the odometer.
          That is just so wrong, 29k, 2nd owner did 17 of that, So then the first owner did 12k over 12 years, so sad... hopefully he had multiple bikes.

Fork oil is probably well overdue for a change, brake fluid too would be my guess.
          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
            That is just so wrong, 29k, 2nd owner did 17 of that, So then the first owner did 12k over 12 years, so sad... hopefully he had multiple bikes.

Fork oil is probably well overdue for a change, brake fluid too would be my guess.
            Done. This will be my first season with this bike. First season having a bike for that matter. I really hope this stays reliable for this season. Next Winter I will be removing the carbs and get them rebuilt and synced and valves adjusted. Already have too much time an money into it so far. That and buying all my gear at the same time. My bank account is broken...lol

Comment

Done. This will be my first season with this bike. First season having a bike for that matter. I really hope this stays reliable for this season. Next Winter I will be removing the carbs and rebuild them and sync them and learn how to get the valves adjusted. Already have too much time an money into it so far. That and buying all my gear at the same time. My bank account is broken...lol
              If you are trying to get your bike right on the cheap learn how do do that stuff yourself.

Carb "cleaning" done by a "professional" can easily run you $600, with the results being less than spectacular.

Syncing them is relatively easy and can be done with a home built tool.

Valve adjustment is a good skill to have, not hard, just a bit time consuming. I'm sure that any moto shop will tag you $200-500 for that, though I admit I don't know as I've always done mine myself.

Do some searches on here to learn and to save yourself some huge $$$.

Comment

. So much for " I'll get a bike, they're cheap". Wanna bet....
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  . So much for " I'll get a bike, they're cheap". Wanna bet....
                  Ain't nothin' cheap.

Cheaper and more enjoyable than cars, indeed. That's what I was thinking to myself after doing the oil change on the Kat this morning. 1 hour all told, an enjoyable experience, and only $50 in parts vs. 2 hours minimum, $70, and much cussing for the same job on my project car...

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE View Post
                    Ain't nothin' cheap.

Cheaper and more enjoyable than cars, indeed. That's what I was thinking to myself after doing the oil change on the Kat this morning. 1 hour all told, an enjoyable experience, and only $50 in parts vs. 2 hours minimum, $70, and much cussing for the same job on my project car...
                    2 hours to do an oil change on your project car? You got an R8 or something?

Comment

Went for my first ride on the new ContiMotions tonight. Wow! What a difference! It feels more planted and secure than before, but, it did have some shitty Kendas on it before.
                      1993 Suzuki 750 Katana
                      2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650
                      2012 Ski Doo Summit SP 800 ETEC
                      1958 Cessna 182 Skylane

Comment

2 hours to do an oil change on your project car? You got an R8 or something?
                        +1, my Audi was a pain, it had an under carrage cover that had to be removed first but still under an hour total.
                        Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-02-2016, 09:40 AM.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

+1, my Audi was a pain, it had an under carrage cover that had to be removed first but still under an hour total.
                          Don't be a baby....Those belly pan covers are a breeze. Used to wrench for Audi.......easy breezy

Comment

You miss understood my comment....
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

You miss understood my comment....
                              oh....yep...guess I did

Comment

Working...
                              X