X

Tires and Swingarms discussion moved outta pics thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Bill !
    Since I don't have any idea how you chose where to cut/weld, nor have I read any of Kreys writes ups; I assume you used a bubble level at the pivot joint to see if its straight ?
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Well, you know as a professional carpenter I always put a bubble level on anything I fasten to a permanent structure such as a house.
      Funny, the first thing I learned was, ain't nothing in a house is level or square!
      To do this mod perfectly square, first I'd have to build a heavy steel work table that was perfectly square, and to use a bubble level to secure it level with the Earth.
      WTF just wing it the best you can.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
        Well, you know as a professional carpenter I always put a bubble level on anything I fasten to a permanent structure such as a house.
        Funny, the first thing I learned was, ain't nothing in a house is level or square!
        To do this mod perfectly square, first I'd have to build a heavy steel work table that was perfectly square, and to use a bubble level to secure it level with the Earth.
        WTF just wing it the best you can.
        When you get 6 swingarms from the "same model" bike together, and start comparing.... you find something very interesting.

NONE of them are "exactly" the same.

I could tell just by the pic with it standing on end, you got it right.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Put it in there

Ok, have the chain adjusters at midpoint, and this tire is 192mm wide, I'll be using a 180/55. I haven't got a 6 bolt sprocket, but ordered a new set today.
          Looks like the chain just touches the tire, the caliper looks right on, the brake arm is almost good, the forward mount just needs to be moved outward 10mm maybe.

Comment

I can't really tell by the pictures if this idea will work, but you may be able to use a off set front sprocket to make that tire fit. In other words it would allow more clearance between the chain and tire.
            EDIT: Also, If I'm not mistaken the SRADs have a 6" rim. Correct me if I'm wrong.
            Last edited by katanarider; 02-14-2016, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Right 6" rim and 190 tire, maybe they have an offset engine to move the front sprocket outward?
              This chain is trapped between the tire and rear subframe.
              This is only the old tire that came the wheel, I'm going to use a 180/55 tire.

Comment

I would guess the SRAD has a longer sprocket shaft. That way the engine stays centered in the frame for balance.

Comment

I welded on these reinforcing strips across the welds on the underside of the swingarm. That seems like the area of highest stress, I wanna be sure about safety.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                    Right 6" rim and 190 tire, maybe they have an offset engine to move the front sprocket outward?
                    This chain is trapped between the tire and rear subframe.
                    This is only the old tire that came the wheel, I'm going to use a 180/55 tire.
                    6"?

Not aware of a 6" curved spoke wheel.

The one year SRAD had 6" wheels were straight spoked (like the post kat, not the pre...) from all I've been able to verify.

Ultimately the 3-5.5" wheels should have the same sprocket offset distance from center.

The 6" wheel would have a difference of around 10mm wider, would require offset sprockets. Pretty sure that's not the case here.

I'd double check center on your wheel when mounted to make sure it's not shifted to the left a hair atm.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey, I never said I had a SRAD wheel, reel back a few pages. I got a 92 GSXR750 wheel.
                      I thought was just agreeing with katanrider that SRADs came with a 6" back wheel and 190/50 tire.

Comment

I couldn't tell how much space he has at the rear sprocket from that picture, as it seems sort of tight. I was thinking he either has the wrong hub or wrong spacer. I just mentioned the SRAD rear wheel after considering the off set front sprocket. I understand the sub-frame clearance issue now...bummer

Comment

welded on the bracing

This is old school bracing, I think they were doing this back in the 60s. I was copying the SRAD swingarm.
                          Anyway, it's solid and only added about 20oz of steel. And it's kinked outward on the chain side for clearance, will have to test it. The chain might wack it when lose.

Last edited by buffalobill; 02-16-2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Ok, I installed the swingarm in there and torqued all the bolts.
                            I have the new sprocket and brake disc on the wheel, bolted it in and aligned it.
                            Using the old chain to check the clearances, yes it does rub the 190 tire. Just as a test idea I'm gonna grind off the tire edge until it clears.
                            I ordered a new 180/55 tire and will measure that when it comes, I may have to grind off the edge of that tire for clearance.
                            Sure would hate to settle for a 170/60.

Comment

Grind off the tire edge?
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah, just the bit that touches the chain, 5mm at most.
                                I think I'll try a couple washers for spacers on the axle at the chain side first. Crude but might work.

Comment

Working...
                                X