X

kat problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
    Yes, it will be fully tunable. Open header not a good idea at all. I bet the mechanic recommends a new can with a baffle, it will help with carb operation as well..
    He will probably recommend one, open headers look cool but i suppose that looking cool and better performance don't usually go hand and hand .

That and i get a splitting headache after 2 hours being on the road. My exhaust is 15 louder than my horn.
    Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
    The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

A juiced GSXR and a Katana are two very, very different things. I'm going to go ahead and say you bought the wrong bike, and now you're trying to make it something that it will never be. Sell it a buy a sports bike.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        A juiced GSXR and a Katana are two very, very different things. I'm going to go ahead and say you bought the wrong bike, and now you're trying to make it something that it will never be. Sell it a buy a sports bike.
        Arsenic FTW.

Yes, the Kat looks a bit like a sport bike....but it's really not.

Yes, the Kat is an inline 4, just like the GSXR...but it's really not.

Yes, the Kat is easy to mod...but it's really not.

In its day it was a simple, cheap to build and heavy bike for Suzuki to put on the market.

Nowadays it's cheap to buy, a bit picky about maintenance and successful mods require either boatloads of cash (for a patient mechanic) and time to get right, or just lots of time (yours) and maybe only truckloads of cash to swap out parts to find the right mix that works. All that for a bike that was never meant to be a performance machine in the first place.

From my readings it seems like you just want a bike that runs well. Get it back to stock and be happy when it moves on down the road...

Oh, and that carb clean you paid for....I'm guessing about $400 so that someone could throw a couple cans of spray cleaner at them, which generally doesn't do much. For $30 (a can of Berrymans) and some time you could have done a much better job yourself.

Comment

Agreed fellows but, didn't some of use start with a stock bike and now not so stock. Yes it costs a butt load of cash to hop a Kat motor up correctly. As I recommended on post 18 is should be where he needs to go but, like others, he's not being rude about it. Just so you know, many, many members have fought the pod K&N filter BS..90% went back to stock. The bike will always have a quirk at some RPM range with pods/K&N.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I know what you mean about modding a Kat. I've done more than any one person should. 25K and 10 years later, I still do it. However, I am well aware it'll never do what modern GSXR does right out of the crate. I just don't think the OP is intrested in spending 10K and years. The way I read this thread, dude has a Katana and wants a sport bike. Not gonna happen.

Comment

$25k your nuts.. Cool ride though... I see your view.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

$25k your nuts..
                I've built two Correction, I haven't actually built anything. I've bank rolled two Kats, I have a ton of parts, and in my head they're done.
                Last edited by arsenic; 10-24-2015, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Ah, funded not built. Still $25k!!! I have too much into mine and it's not nearly that much if It keeps you going, keep going.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Eh i just want something unique that most people don't see.
                    A 90's kat with a swaped engine, chopped, and juiced.
                    It doesn't have to be a race bike but a high 10s 1/4 mile would be nice
                    Yes any modern sports bike will crush it in about every catagory but whats the fun in that.
                    I bought my kat because it was a kat.

My last project was a Porsche 944s with a 3.0l swap.
                    I wish I would have kept it, it was beautiful.

If flatsides are going to be that much of a pain ill just keep the cv carbs on the swap.
                    It still has to be streetable.

First step is getting it running again, its so much more fun driving it than paying money for it to become worse then when I dropped it off.

Last edited by Tekgnome; 10-24-2015, 09:13 PM.
                    The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

I wish the garages worked here, you'll find you're nothing special, turboed Kats, drag Kats, track Kats, nos'd drag Kats, lots of one off custom Kats .....they are all here.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

I wish the garages worked here, you'll find you're nothing special, turboed Kats, drag Kats, track Kats, nos'd drag Kats, lots of one off custom Kats .....they are all here.
                        Turbo kats, i was thinking about it but after all the research i did. Amassing a huge parts list, i decided nitrous and called it a day.

My point is i rarely see katana's driving around and have never seen a modified one.
                        Id like to just swap a liter engine and call it a day. If i buy a gsxr im just going to want to cut it up and mod it.
                        The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Funny, I have a GSXR/GSXF modded bike....

The problem with turbos and NOS, you can't retard the timing with the current ignition, Dynotek has that feature, just don't know how it would work. On a NOS bike. Turbo would be boost controlled, 10# boost 1* of retard.
                          Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-24-2015, 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

You've never seen a modded Katana in the wild? That's kind of because you could see a stock looking Katana with an overbore 1127 engine with flat slides and you would have no idea. I know because I've done exactly that. I'm doing it again right now. I'm not trying to talk you out of making your bike one of a kind and awesome. That's awesome. You're going about it wrong, and your expectations are wrong. You can build one awesome Kat, but nothing that will compete with a "juiced" GSXR as you say. Rock on, but pods and the way you are going about it is wrong. Trusting a shop that has built performance motorcycles isn't a place to have your Kat "built". The Katana 750 engine is based on a 1985 GSXR 750 oil cooled platform. The GSXR stopped using oil cooled technology in 1992 in the US, 1993 in the rest of the world.
                            Last edited by arsenic; 10-25-2015, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Check out what he's talking about, click the DREAM katana in his signature. FYI His new mechanic has worked on a juiced GSXR. He didn't state he wanted his bike as fast as a juiced GSXR..
                              Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-24-2015, 11:23 PM.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Check out what he's talking about, click the DREAM katana in his signature. FYI His new mechanic has worked on a juiced GSXR. He didn't state he wanted his bike as fast as a juiced GSXR..
                                The DREAM Katana isn't the one with the 1127, the DREAM has an overbore long stroke 750 that started as a 600. I know he said the mechanic he's working with his built juiced GSXR's. When you find a shop that deals in performance, you subconsciously expect your bike to be like that. I'm just warning the guy that's not going to happen. I'm on board with making your Kat awesome. I just want him to have realistic expectations. Using 750 jugs on a 600 crank case was a huge PITA. Don't think this stuff was meant to go together just because I did it.
                                Last edited by arsenic; 10-25-2015, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X