X

New Member, New Bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, New Bike

Hello Everybody. I've been a troller here for a while and have decided to become a member. I also just bought a new 2006 Katana 600 in black. While this is not my first bike, it is my first new bike.

I am going to be picking it up this Saturday and was wondering what the break-in parameters were for this bike? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

welcome aboard. the owners manual that comes with the bike will have the break in info. post up some pics when you get her home

Comment

Ride it like ya stole it!!! j/k, but welcome!!
      sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
      MSF Rider Coach 27028
      MoPowerSports.com
      Torco
      SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Hello and welcome. You can follow the break-in procedure in the Suzuki manual, which means no high revs until to reach a certain mileage. I believe the manual calls for...

Up to 500 miles, do not exceed 5.5K RPM.
        Up to 1000 miles, do not exceed 8.5K RPM
        More than 1000 miles, keep it below 11K RPM

The oil should be changed at 600 miles and have a valve check should also be done.

Alternatively, you can break-in the using the procedure outlined here....

Personally, I would stick with what's in the manual.
        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Good to have you aboard dude,nice choice in bike and color..

Comment

Welcome! That is the bike that I wanted!!! But my dealer did not have any 2006 black!!!! So I had to go with 05 Red!!! That is a nice bike and the best thing is that it is Black!!!
            Lance
            2005 Kat 600

Comment

welcome to the forum. you'll love the kat, the board here is full of endless knowledge that will help you with your bike. A big plus on getting full gear when you got your bike. Smart choice.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I will look in the Manual when I get it and probably follow that.

I'll post up some pics after I pick it up. This week has seems to be going by quite slowly, good thing I've been very busy at work.

Comment

welcome welcome.

Long Live the D

Comment

Hey there Bone daddy nice of you to join us.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Welcome to the KR.. What part of So. Cal ya from???

Pre 98's Rock!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1593731870

http://www.myspace.com/bobbyma

Comment

Break it in the way you are going to ride and it has a warrenty for a reason is what i have heard people say, but the manuel might have better adive...And welcome to KR.
                        Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

IMHO:

Seriously consider oil changes at 20 miles and at 150 miles to get the freshly liberated metal particles out of the oil stream sooner than the 600 mile oil change suggest by the manual.

Other than that, following the manual on break in in general... If you're planning on keeping the bike for more than a couple years, you'll probably be glad that you did.

Suzuki offers a 4-year extended factory warrantee for about $400. Although few experienced riders find need for the coverage (failures are rare unless user-induced), there are riders on the policy that upgrade the standard warrantee to include tow-coverage and limited rental coverage ($20 a day, 7 day max per incident). The rental coverage also applies any time your bike is in overnight for regular service, if I recall the small print that was in my extended warrantee (it's been about 4 years since I bought my first Kat new; I swapped to a newer Kat with far less miles a few years later).

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I will probably get the oil changed sooner than the 600 miles recommended, as I plan on keeping this bike for quite some time. Thanks for that advice.

Bob - I live about 15-20 minutes south of you. I'm near S and 57th east.

Comment

Welcome aboard. It's a great place to be!!

Comment

Working...
                              X