No announcement yet.
X

Ticking at 4000rpm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a general rule, I have found most Castrol oils to suck. Did the noise arrive with the change to Castrol ... or soon after?

From your description, colder, thicker oil seems to control the noise which becomes more apparent when the engine / oil is hot. So, non-circulation when cold is unlikely to be the issue.

MA2 oil will potentially offer less wear protection because it has reduced Phosphorous and Zinc levels to meet the classification. I'd stick to MA(1) because what these hot running air-oiled cooled Kats need is plenty of substantial protection in a sheer resistant formula.

(Penrite Racing Full synth "sheer free" SN / MA rated oils at 20% off (ie about $55) in Repco this month for RACQ / NRMA / RACV etc members.) Penrite also offer a range of MC specific oils, like:

Penrite Oil is a 100% Australian Owned company producing a premium range of vehicle and industrial lubricants, coolants, gear oils, hydraulic fluids and additives. Discover why Penrite is a Better Class of Oil.

Not sure if every store carries the MC range, but if everything else is in spec, I'd give Penrite a go. It's good shit. Wouldn't be surprised if your ticking disappears.

Comment

Thanks TRPUT. The noise has kind of evolved over time. I had a ticking noise only at 4,000rpm before. Then I did valve clearance and now the sound I'm hearing is ticking at idle when hot with some chugging sound at the bottom end also only when hot. I'll try and get a video tonight.

Comment

Remember these are inherently noisy engines, but new noises should be investigated. Have you tried ear plugs? They work well to transform my rattling donk into an almost silent German i6.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
          Have you tried ear plugs?
          Hahaha! I'm too self concious. I'll know pedestrians can hear my donk... and it embarrasses me

Sorry didn't get round to the video tonight. Was out cheating...

Comment

Ok, I finally got round to recording that video. The ticking sound is not so bad, it's the knocking sound that concerns me. If you don't pay attention to the ticking you can hear what sounds like a steam engine chugging. This is on the centre stand in neutral.

Comment

You can use a mechanics stethoscope to locate where the noise is originating from and go from there.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

could the ticking be exhaust leaks/bad exhaust gaskets?
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

It sure sounds like an exhaust leak too me, also.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Tonight I dumped the oil and emptied the oil filter. Then filled her back up with new oil but still got this knocking sound. It's coming from the bottom right side of the engine. Only getting it when the engine is hot. I'm totally out of ideas and I think anything further is past my wrenching ability. Thanks for all the suggestion guys.

Comment

Any clutch issues when hot? You should pull the cover and check.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

I too, second the opinion of the cam chain as your issue. It certainly sounds like that to me.

Comment

A cam chain wouldn't be out of spec after only 60,000km (35,000miles) right? I've never abused the bike or skipped scheduled maintenance.

Comment

A cam chain being noisy, would always be noisy. Never had a chain be quiet on start then noisy when warm.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

I might try what this guy did to see if oil is circulating through the engine. Especially to the valve cover feeds.

Anyone know what size pressure gauge fittings is needed to test oil pressure? Can't find many threads on oil pressure checking.

Comment

Working...
                              X