X

The truth about Glasspacks and kats!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth about Glasspacks and kats!

Ok, I have read and seen alot about people who have successfully put on glass packs mufflers with great sound and the back pressure needed and love em. But, what is your opinion on this mod and will it hurt my bike and what are the cons about? I know they are cheap which is the pro, and i was going to paint it black and put a nice tip on it. Or should i save my money and buy a slip on yosh or scorpion etc...? I'm looking for a good sound, not really a performance gain and i don't want to go straight pipe or cut into the stock.

If you are looking for a good sound, save up for a decent exhaust. If your just looking for sound, I guess a glass pack would work for that.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Save, why halfarse it.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Um, most of the aftermarket exhausts are glasspacks, only using something other than fiberglass packing.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

True, think i'll just save for a yosh or Scorpion.

Comment

Delkevics can be gotten new for about 180, another decent choice sound-wise.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Hey thanx, i'll check them out, heard bout them.

Comment

the inside of my V&H supersport looks like a glass pack.

glass packs cost like 15$ at car shows... the cost of the slip on's are stupid high.
                1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                  Delkevics can be gotten new for about 180, another decent choice sound-wise.
                  this is what I have. I'm completely satisfied with quality and function.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

If you wanna use a glass pack, get a cheap one, cut both ends off it, then expand the outer tube so it fits over the ends you cut off (leave an inch of flat section). Drill six holes at 60* around the sides at each end, then re-pack it with whatever you want, even 0000 steel wool, fiberglass insulation, etc.

Last one I did was a 16" can, used some cheap perf core, wrapped it tight with 00 steel wool top to bottom, then plastic wrapped some unfaced insulation around that. It was originally a muzzy can though, and it was on my Ninja 250. So it was freakin loud.

The type of perf core you use makes a bit of a difference. If you use the stuff that's already in the glasspack, it's probably louvered, so it will have more sound attenuation than a standard re-pack kit or buying perf core from eBay which is just heat-shield-like material.
                    Last edited by Christ; 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM. Reason: misplaced comma
                    Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

So I can use the packing for like 4 cycle dirt bike mufflers? And perf core? I'm not sure exactly what that is?

Comment

Originally posted by hukeedo View Post
                        So I can use the packing for like 4 cycle dirt bike mufflers? And perf core? I'm not sure exactly what that is?
                        Perf core = The perforated pipe in the middle of a glasspack or most unbaffled exhaust mufflers.

When you buy Akrapovic, TBR, Delkevic, etc, you're paying for a name tag. They're glorified glass packs as slip-ons. The differences are generally in packing material and appearance, both of which anyone with a decent knowledge of handtools and some light metal working ability could handle.

You can make a muffler from PVC pipe, but it'd probably melt on a bike. It works on a car if you lose enough heat before you get to the muffler.
                        Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

Comment

I like how you put Delkevic up there with Akra and Two Bros like it is something expensive hahaha.
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                            I like how you put Delkevic up there with Akra and Two Bros like it is something expensive hahaha.
                            It's not, but I had to include some of the well-known examples.

Full exhaust kits don't fit that stereotypical comment though. They're actually built and tuned (sometimes...) for a specific performance enhancement, as most of us know.

But for a slip-on, I really never saw a point to shelling out large sums of money like that, especially if you don't care about it looking like a well-known exhaust.

Really, I could have put Danmoto up there, too... same deal, just a different price tag.

Comment

I came across this while looking to make an exhaust strap for my slip-on.

Don't know if this helps.
                              -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X