No announcement yet.
X

Thought I'd heard it all

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and i have to ask...wth is her bf in all this? i went looking at bikes last week cuz i am ready for a new one, and my gf is wanting to ride again as well. she used to ride over 11 years ago, but 11 years is a long time ago, and you might as well say you are starting over again. when we walked into the dealers, she spotted the busa right away. a nice red/black one. she headed right for it and said, "wow". the first thing i said was "forget it". and i was firm about it...same as i was with the gix1000, and all the other supersports. i lead her right to the 600 kat and told her that was a big as she was going to get. she was a little thrown back by my pushyness, but once explained to her that these are very powerful bikes and that they were not suitable for her...and that i love her too much to let her take that risk, she came around. in fact, she has listened to reason enough that she is looking at used online and 600 or less.

i think this woman's bf is kind of a dink not to try to prevent his gf from buying the most powerful bike on the planet. the suzuki site itself states for experienced riders only....so how can it not make sense to talk her out of it? there is a reason for suzuki making that statement....and it is because they DID NOT design it for novice riders. or has he got his head in the clouds so far by thinking he is going to have one cool looking gf on a bike that he has totally forgot the safety issues?

oh well...as pitbull said, it is their choice. no matter to me if she bites it...except for another stain on the rep of a sport i so enjoy. this topic has been discussed in detail before....and nothing will change. there will always be idiots who buy bikes way out of their league just cuz of image....and they will continue to kill themselves on them. a classic case of darwinism.

EDIT: my mistake...it was Yamaha that stated it. and if they can say that about the r1, then the busa should apply as well. that is reason enough to speak up to any inexperienced rider.

[img][/img]
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

It's like owning a gun. Any size can kill, but as long as you respect it you'll be safe.
      sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

But a rookie mistake on a bike like that (nudging the throttle midcorner because you're holding on too tight) will KILL you . Do that on a 600 Kat and there's no drama at all , and only a little bit more on a 750 (though it's not a GREAT idea to try) . That's why some bikes are dubbed "forgiving" ... little mistakes won't KILL you . That's what you NEED when you're just starting out , not something that doesn't wanna do "just" 90 Because that's too slow for the bike (yeah Tom , that's NUTS ) .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

and i have to ask...wth is her bf in all this?
          I'll be able to answer that question tomorrow afternoon at the meeting, Im anxious to get his input on her decision and see what he has to say. Im sure they've talked about it already and the fact that she mentioned about looking for helmets has me thinking either he's ok with it, or else he's trying to talk into a different bike so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by grslightn
            It's like owning a gun. Any size can kill, but as long as you respect it you'll be safe.
            look ....i am not trying to say that any opinions like this are wrong...we are all entitled to our opinions, and i respect that, but i have to disagree with something like this.
            you can have all the respect in the world for whatever, but it is not the same thing. a gun and a bike are two totally different things, and as far as i am concerned, they only have one thing in common.....and that is that both of them WILL NOT respect you back. they are nothing but objects that are void of any ability except to react in the way they were designed to react. if you pull the trigger on a gun, it will fire a bullet.....pure and simple. respect really has nothing to do with it. it all comes down to common sense and what you can handle. if you are all of 5'2 and weigh 100lbs wet, you can fire a gun like a 22...and maybe something like a 30.06 or a 12 guage, but the bigger the caliber, the more it is going to knock you back. and if that small person fires a big bore rifle like a 50 caliber or more, it will probably dislocate a shoulder and lay him on his ass.
            so ya....any gun can kill....that is a given. but it is possible that some are just too damn big to fired by just anyone without negative consequences like a dislocated shoulder. it is going to hurt. get my point?

Comment

I just bought my Kat new at a local dealership last week and I cannot believe how easy it would have been for me to buy a busa. In my opinion, one problem with these bikes is that they are so damn affordable! I could have went home with the fastest production bike on the planet for about 12k. With ridiculously low financing ($150 / month for any bike over 10k, $99 / month for anything less) and a dealer who knows how to sell, it was hard NOT to go home with it. The only thing keeping me from buying that bike was me constantly telling myself that I could not handle it. I did not want that kind of speed available to me, because I know I would want to keep testing its limits and would eventually get myself killed through lack of experience. And I guess you can say "Well that is your fault for not having self control!!!". My response to that is "If you are not planning on using that particular bike for speed, then why the hell buy it at all ????". However, the dealer did recommend it over something like an R1 or GSX1000R because it had "more forgiving" throttle control and had a much better back seat for my GF.

And if that sweet looking Japanese decal they stick on the side of it is what sold for to her, I imagine they make them for Kats too!!

Comment

Originally posted by KatRR
                I just bought my Kat new at a local dealership last week and I cannot believe how easy it would have been for me to buy a busa. In my opinion, one problem with these bikes is that they are so damn affordable! I could have went home with the fastest production bike on the planet for about 12k. With ridiculously low financing ($150 / month for any bike over 10k, $99 / month for anything less) and a dealer who knows how to sell, it was hard NOT to go home with it. The only thing keeping me from buying that bike was me constantly telling myself that I could not handle it. I did not want that kind of speed available to me, because I know I would want to keep testing its limits and would eventually get myself killed through lack of experience. And I guess you can say "Well that is your fault for not having self control!!!". My response to that is "If you are not planning on using that particular bike for speed, then why the hell buy it at all ????". However, the dealer did recommend it over something like an R1 or GSX1000R because it had "more forgiving" throttle control and had a much better back seat for my GF.

And if that sweet looking Japanese decal they stick on the side of it is what sold for to her, I imagine they make them for Kats too!!
                you deserve a pat on the back for resisting the temptation. it is a very wise man and mature man who can admit when something is more than he can handle. you have gained my respect.
                shit man...i have been riding 20+ years and i am still contemplating the decision to buy one because i know i like to get heavy on the throttle. it's the tickets that worry me...not dumping it. lol

on another note.....anyone want to make a wager? i am betting that the bf hasn't talked the gf out of buying that machine cuz he probably has it in his head that he will get to ride it. and if that is the case, he will probably be the one to wreck it before she does...lol

Comment

Originally posted by cancun black dog
                  Originally posted by SSMtC05
                  Atleast you know you tried lol but that is a scary thought geez thats bad.

Jay
                  Is that D@D loud??

Yes it is but I personally like it. I notice alot on my way home from work on the parkway a street bike will come past me and all you hear is the chain whizzing or whatever. Which could easily lead to someone cutting you off or something. But the d&d even whilecruising is loud enough for people to hear me. I dont care if people find it annoying just showing me you hear me which to me is good.

Jay
                  2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

Comment

One of my nieces came by a couple of hours ago with some friends, while my niece, her female friend & my mom were chating the male friend of my niece & I started talking about Nascar, then drag racing & finally bikes.

I showed him my Kat, he loved the powerscreen, he told me he is going to be buying a Busa in a few years. I asked him what was the biggest bike he rode, he said a 250cc Ninja. I know that some are able to handle the bigger, more powerful bikes but going from a 250 to a 1300cc is a major step in horsepower. I told him my history of riding, the mishaps & the good times, I urged him to get a smaller, older bike first & work his way up but that he should buy what he wants & if he does get a Busa that I hope he rides within his limits, wears the protective gear & uses his head.

He seems like a good guy, just hope he does use his brain no matter what bike he gets.
                    I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                      on another note.....anyone want to make a wager? i am betting that the bf hasn't talked the gf out of buying that machine cuz he probably has it in his head that he will get to ride it. and if that is the case, he will probably be the one to wreck it before she does...lol
                      If you want to bet he's the one to wreck it, I'll take the wager. My guess is that he will drive it, and she will try to drive it the way she sees him drive (both it and in general), and that will put her into a crisis/panic situation that results in her going down.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, finally now for the updates to this..sorry for the delay all but after the game today, nfl playoffs, my heart still is beating too fast

Anywho, saw him today, shooting the bull about this and that..told him..

me.."so I hear your girl is thinking of getting a busa"
                        BF... yeah she's looking at an 06 busa, white.

me..she's never rode before except on the back of your bike right

him: she's road 4wheelers before but thats about it

me... you dont think she's gonna kill herself do ya, being a new rider and all?

him...I'd be surprised if she goes through with it, she says she can handle it but I say there's no way. The way her temper is and the way she drives, I can only imagine her on a bike.

me.. You think she's just in a phase or something

him.. yeah I dont know, prolly..but if she does, she's gotta pay for it so I hope she knows what she's doing cuz her insurance will be skyhigh, so I dont think she'll be able to afford it anyways.. unless she thinks Im gonna help her pay for it..

me.. are you gonna ?

him..hell no I have too much being put into my bike to worry about her's. I'll help her work on it but its her responsibility.

me.. she said she's already looking at helmets

him.. well atleast thats a start I guess

that was about the extent of the short conversation after the meeting cuz he had to jet out quickly.

so take that for what its worth.. he didnt really seem to care was the vibe I got from him.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                          him... The way her temper is and the way she drives, I can only imagine her on a bike.
                          That comment right there scares the hell out of me.
                          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            If you want to bet he's the one to wreck it, I'll take the wager. My guess is that he will drive it, and she will try to drive it the way she sees him drive (both it and in general), and that will put her into a crisis/panic situation that results in her going down.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            now wait a second here CP. are you sure you understand the bet? it is not a bet that he would be the one to wreck, but in fact a bet that he hasn't talked her out of it cuz he inteneded to ride it. but you made me consider a new option that did not come to mind, and it could possible go that way. but from what matt said, he doesn't really have a clue what is going on.

and matt....it sounds like you actually know what is going on more than the bf does, so either she is just pumping you full of bs, or he isn't paying attention to what his ol' lady is doing. sounds like there isn't much communication going on between the two of them.
                            anyway, as woobie pointed out, it sounds a bit scary.

Comment

Re: Thought I'd heard it all

Originally posted by blkpitbull
                              First let me say that I know im gonna get hell for this, especially around here. And I am just stating MY view/opinion. And I mean no offense at all!

OK, Why do you feel you must tell her what bike she should or shouldnt get?? Maybe she cant ride a bicycle with training-wheels, maybe she can ride the bike to the limit. But I DO NOT believe you have the right to force your "ultimate" wisdom upon her because shes buying the bike SHE wants. Its her life period. If you see someone lighting a cigarete, do you stop them to tell them it could hurt them one day??? No I bet you dont. Cause it none of your business. SO why is this any different??? I guess im different and I would not say nothing like that to her, cause I wouldnt want you telling me what I should or shouldnt get.

Perfect example: My younger brother, hasnt rode a bike but a total of maybe 20miles, calls me this may and says " hey bro i bought a bike today. Keep in mind hes 23 ( a grown man that can make his own decisions without my help). I said cool what ya get?? Um a 2002 kawi zx12r. My first thoughts were damn thats big. BUT he can choose for himself. And all I said was " please be carefull, and remember that your right hand decides it all."
                              He has rode all summer on that bike and rides really good now......

All im saying is that people are grown and make there own life changing (good or bad) decisions on ther own. And I personally dont think anyone should tell someone that they made a bad decision, who made you decision god. I do believe in helping the situation thats already there. Give her pointers, tips, from your experiences....

That said, Im sure ill hear it now. But thats just my view and thats exactly why me and Wildkat are two different people.

Todd
                              well todd....maybe it has to be me that is the one to give you a little hell, but i think he did the right thing.
                              your cigarette example....well each and every individual has the right to speak up if you see someone light up. why do you think smoking has been banned in so many establishments? it isn't because these establishments are worried the smoker will keel over and die.....it is to protect the non-smokers from breathing in their secondhand smoke...which is just as deadly. so unless this person lights up outside, well away from all non-smokers, then we all have a right to speak up.

it is the same thing with the bike. you have some unexperienced woman ...and i make it a point to mention WOMAN, cuz i have seen enough women react badly in emergency situations. they tend to panic a bit quicker than a male...and i will go to my grave believing that, so say what you will to that comment, but i am sticking to it. it is also my opinion that this person ..male or female, hasn't any business being on a bike like a busa....much for the same reason as the person lighting the cigarette. she will become a danger on the road with no experience....and we all share the roads....so we all have a right to speak up and voice our opinions. sure....i could say let her buy what she wants, but i would add that i would not want her riding the same roads as myself. we are all supposed to be responsible riders here, and as a responsible rider i believe it is our duty to speak up and voice our opinions to those who have no experience. it is these inexperienced riders who are killing themselves and giving the sport a bad rep. as a rider of 20+ years, i believe i have every right in the world to state my opinion to said person when it effects my reputation.

as for your brother....well, that is your right. if it was my brother, who never rode before in his life....i would be fighting him tooth and nail to talk him out of a purchase like that. my experience/knowledge...as well as statistics, confirms the danger involved, and i love my bro too much to just let him buy on a whim like that.

if you want a perfect example, here is one:

you know someone who has a drug problem. it is endangering his life. do you still just let them make his own decision? no...you speak up. it is called INTERVENTION. I think when someone is making a choice as irresponsible and possibly life threatening as she is making....then intervention is acceptable. the results can be much greater by doing so than the negative results can be if you don't....so how can that be a bad thing?

maybe too many people are getting killed on bikes cuz so many people are just not stepping up and saying something. ever think of that?

OK,

So if ive read this right, You love your brother cause you would dictate his decision, and I dont love my brother for letting him be a man a making his own decision, and helping him learn once he made it??? Hmmmm! I quess since you have 20+ years of riding experience (alot more than me at only 18+) you know whats best! Sorry for being a failure to my brother!!!!

As for the person with a drug problem. YES I would let them make their own decisions and WOULD NOT " interven". I have my own life and family to worry about. I do not go around getting into other peoples shit, for the very reason, I DO NOT want anyone in the middle of my business!!!! There are gonna be crackheads, thare gonna be tards, theres gonna be unexperienced riders buying zx14's,etc......I dont care if they sell turbo busa's to a newbee, Its not my place, as a rider or not, to tell them that they CANT get it. Now if the government comes in and makes a law on it then that would be best, but until then you and Matt will have to talk all the newbee's out of that zx14 purchase!!!
                              Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well somebody's gotta try and talk some sense into them

You make good points, and there's really no wrong answer here, its just a matter of what you feel you should do as a human being towards another fellow rider, in this case. Some will speak up, others wont, we're all different. Me though,when I feel it necessary I'll speak up, not push my views on them, but I will offer my .02.

and matt....it sounds like you actually know what is going on more than the bf does, so either she is just pumping you full of bs, or he isn't paying attention to what his ol' lady is doing. sounds like there isn't much communication going on between the two of them.
                                anyway, as woobie pointed out, it sounds a bit scary.
                                You may be right and honestly I dont know for sure how much BS she is feeding me, atleast she has talked to him at some point about it that much is evident but other than that, how much she intends to go thru w/ this is anybody's guess at this point.. only time will tell .. but if she does get it and I see a white busa parked at work, Im parking on the next floor up and getting outta there before she does

Comment

Working...
                                X