X

firing on three

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firing on three

hi guys, as the title suggests, my bike seems to only be firing on three cylinders.. any hints tips or suggestions as to how this might be resolved, or do you think it needs to be taken into a shop? I already swapped the spark plugs over for new..

Find which cylinder isn't firing by checking the heat on the header downpipes. Check to see if that cylinder is getting spark, the wire from the coil may just be old and need to be clipped for a good connection. If that fails maybe the carb is just oo gunked up.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      Find which cylinder isn't firing by checking the heat on the header downpipes. Check to see if that cylinder is getting spark, the wire from the coil may just be old and need to be clipped for a good connection. If that fails maybe the carb is just oo gunked up.

just had bike running and all of the header pipes have heat, it definately sounds like 3 cylinders though

Comment

Try sync'in your carbs then. Are all your header downpipes at roughly the same heat temp? All of them will be heated due to how close they are, but one may be a lower temp than the others.
        Last edited by cintidude04; 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          Try sync'in your carbs then. Are all your header downpipes at roughly the same heat temp? All of them will be heated due to how close they are, but one may be a lower temp than the others.
          tthanks again, yes roughly the same temperatue,, all pipes heated up very quickly to an unbearable temperature.. My airbox isnt fitted 100% could this be causing any issues.. many thanks for your assistance

Comment

Originally posted by b1005638 View Post
            tthanks again, yes roughly the same temperatue,, all pipes heated up very quickly to an unbearable temperature.. My airbox isnt fitted 100% could this be causing any issues.. many thanks for your assistance
            The only accurate way to tell if one is running at a lower temperature is to actually measure the temp... your hand isn't an accurate tool! Try to find someone with a laser thermometer, these work quite well in this instance.

When mine was running on three cylinders, it ended up being the coil wires. First, the low voltage input wires that power the coils were loose. Then it was the actual wire connection at the caps on top of the plugs that all had to be reimagined. I crimped everything tight, used a crap load of dielectric grease and silicone spray, and I never had a problem again, not even in torrential downpour.
            My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

My airbox isnt fitted 100% could this be causing any issues..
              Yes.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

...My airbox isnt fitted 100% could this be causing any issues.. many thanks for your assistance
                I agree with cintidude and nearly guarantee it.

Get that squared away first. Then a sync - that can significantly smooth out the engine (assuming just fixing the airbox doesn't take care of it).

Also, like previously mentioned make sure you're getting proper spark, etc.
                Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                H. L. Mencken

Comment

... My airbox isnt fitted 100% could this be causing any issues.. many thanks for your assistance
                  Somehow I totally missed this important piece of info. But yeah like mentioned above, take care of the problems you are already aware of. Especially the free ones
                  My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X