X

Think someone maybe stealing my gas.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think someone maybe stealing my gas.

So I had a leak and fixed it. The needle on the gas gauge hasn't moved at all sense. Then I left it out and uncovered and the needle on the gauge when I went in was on the full part of the gauge and when I came out in the morning it was at half a tank. So I figured I had a leak again so I did some inspecting and didn't see any gas from the area that it was leaking before.
    Then after I was done I put all the fairings back on and put the bike on my front porch and locked it. Well the gas didn't drop at all. So I filled the bike up again and took it over my gfs parents house and spent the weekend over there. It is a really nice gated community. So it sat for about 3 days and low and behold the gas gauge needle didn't move at all. So I come home and left the bike out and woke up the next morning and my full tank of gas that was there now only has about a quarter tank left. I did this just to see if it either was a leak I couldn't see or faulty gauge or some one stealing my gas. So looks like I'm going to set up a hunting cam and see if I can catch the thief if that's my problem as I'm not sure.
    My question and reason for posting is I was wondering if it was even possible for someone to steal my gas? My tank lock works and I can't see where someone has tried to pop it open which I'm sure would be visible and leave prying marks. I know there is a way to bleed the gas out but that would take a while I thought? So is it possible? Any input is appreciated cause all I put in my bike is the best gas which we all know is not cheap. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jvillejoe; 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM.
    1996 Katana 750

stealing gas from our bikes is a simple as a screw driver to remove the fuel line if so inclined
    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
    confused katana build

Comment

I dont know on a pre but on post bikes the petcock is covered
      except the knob by the fairing so it would be difficult to do it
      that way.

Comment

on mine its takes me all of 1 minute to remove that fairing but i highly doubt someone is going through the trouble but yes if someone wanted to steal the gas they could, best way is the cam idea
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
          stealing gas from our bikes is a simple as a screw driver to remove the fuel line if so inclined
          So anyone with the knowledge of the mechanics of motorcycles could be well aware how to do it and wouldn't take much aye?

on mine its takes me all of 1 minute to remove that fairing but i highly doubt someone is going through the trouble but yes if someone wanted to steal the gas they could, best way is the cam idea
          Could they steal the gas without removing the faring?
          Last edited by jvillejoe; 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          1996 Katana 750

Comment

Thats the thing "most" thieves steal because its quick
            and easy removing a fairing could get you noticed,
            not saying they arent doing that just saying it might
            be a little more than most want to do.
            Now popping the cap could be easy enough Idk never
            tried it but they arent really the best locks

Comment

yea if they wanted to but random question where do you leave the petcock positioned when you park it

also i have taken the fuel line off mine without removing the fairing
              Last edited by blitz2190; 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

confused katana build

Comment

yea if they wanted to but random question where do you leave the petcock positioned when you park it

also i have taken the fuel line off mine without removing the fairing
                I leave the bike with handle bars turning left in the locked position facing my houses front door.

It's in the driveway and just to the left of the kat is my house.
                Last edited by jvillejoe; 05-23-2012, 09:58 PM.
                1996 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by jvillejoe View Post
                  I leave the bike with handle bars turning left in the locked position facing my houses front door.
                  no the fuel knob, as in pointing down back or forward

confused katana build

Comment

Yeah I just looked at the photo of your bike, the fairing
                    is pretty open there so it could be possible thats how it's
                    happening. I would park it in a safer place

Comment

No, the PETCOCK. The fuel knob. Leave it pointed in RES, then if you wake up and it's different, you'll know someone is stealing it as they will probably leave it in Prime.

Comment

Or....

You have a crank case full of fuel and don't know it.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no the fuel knob, as in pointing down back or forward
                          It's pointing in the on position.
                          1996 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            Or....

You have a crank case full of fuel and don't know it.

Krey
                            That would be strange though because he was saying it only
                            leaks at home

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                              No, the PETCOCK. The fuel knob. Leave it pointed in RES, then if you wake up and it's different, you'll know someone is stealing it as they will probably leave it in Prime.
                              Ok, so leave it in the Res position. Going to do that now.

Just thought I would mention someone stole a gas can in the back of my truck a couple months back. The gas can was empty though. Not sure if that has anything to do with whats going on now.
                              Last edited by jvillejoe; 05-23-2012, 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              1996 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X