X

gsxr front tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsxr front tire

it's probably been asked but my search skills have not found it, strictly speaking of width will the front wheel fron 96 gsxr fit between the forks on a pre, im 200 miles away from my bike so i cant measure atm, not worried about spacers or bearings from what i found would be a 10mm difference which is very little atleast tire size as i cant measure the hub right now

nvm finally after just the right keywords

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

physically the 3.5" rim will fit i just have to swap bearings
    Last edited by blitz2190; 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
    confused katana build

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
    it's probably been asked but my search skills have not found it, strictly speaking of width will the front wheel fron 96 gsxr fit between the forks on a pre, im 200 miles away from my bike so i cant measure atm, not worried about spacers or bearings from what i found would be a 10mm difference which is very little atleast tire size as i cant measure the hub right now

nvm finally after just the right keywords

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

physically the 3.5" rim will fit i just have to swap bearings
    Pretty sure that isn't what I said.

The hub is wider causing the rotors to rub on the fork lowers and not line up with the calipers. If you mill down both sides of the wheel to make those line up, you then need to address the spacer/speedo issue.

The speedo assembly for the kat isn't anywhere near large enough so it won't fit and the axle sizes and width of the spacing for the GSXR wheel speedo is too large. You would need to swap to an electrical speedo sensor like on the post kats or something probably. This also means either an extra conversion device for the guages you have, or a new guage to display the speed. Or a custom speedo output spacer made.

Finally we come to the bearings... and those would need to be custom ordered. There isn't a OEM part number I've found to match up the OD on the GSXR rim to the ID of the katana axle/fork lowers. It might be possible to mill out the lowers and use the larger axle size... that would actually resolve a few problems, but I'd have to think hard about that (I have reservations about making that hole larger and thus the material around it thinner off hand... ).

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Pretty sure that isn't what I said.

The hub is wider causing the rotors to rub on the fork lowers and not line up with the calipers. If you mill down both sides of the wheel to make those line up, you then need to address the spacer/speedo issue.

The speedo assembly for the kat isn't anywhere near large enough so it won't fit and the axle sizes and width of the spacing for the GSXR wheel speedo is too large. You would need to swap to an electrical speedo sensor like on the post kats or something probably. This also means either an extra conversion device for the guages you have, or a new guage to display the speed. Or a custom speedo output spacer made.

Finally we come to the bearings... and those would need to be custom ordered. There isn't a OEM part number I've found to match up the OD on the GSXR rim to the ID of the katana axle/fork lowers. It might be possible to mill out the lowers and use the larger axle size... that would actually resolve a few problems, but I'd have to think hard about that (I have reservations about making that hole larger and thus the material around it thinner off hand... ).

Krey
      yea ill just do a front end swap lol way easier i love building stuff my self but thats to much time, i was wondering because if it fit i was going to just rebuild my front end with cartridge emulators and racetech springs

as for bearings if anyone was interested i believe these could be used with the correct spacer or shim
      Buy LR202NPP Track Roller Bearing 15x40x11 Sealed Track Bearings at wholesale prices in United States. Check reviews and buy today.
      Last edited by blitz2190; 05-17-2012, 03:18 PM.
      never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

confused katana build

Comment

yea ill just do a front end swap lol way easier i love building stuff my self but thats to much time, i was wondering because if it fit i was going to just rebuild my front end with cartridge emulators and racetech springs

If you gotta have the 3.5" wheel... do you have to have the curved spoke? The Kat 98-02 wheel will go right in with very little work. In addtion, alot of people like the thought of going up to 4.5 on the rear as well (also the size of the post kat rear) and it also will go in with minimal work.

If you gotta have the curved wheel design, then I can't say yet it will work, but I am looking at the 03+ fork spacing and trying to work out if it would be an easier conversion option. Not sure what all that would entail on the swap options, but I'm researching as I can on it. I do know off hand that the triples of the 03+ would be a direct bolt in. How close on the spacing and such they are to the GSXR wheel to make it work, that's where I'll need to look alot deeper.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

He's talking about a FRONT wheel. Unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            He's talking about a FRONT wheel. Unless I'm missing something.
            correct

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            If you gotta have the 3.5" wheel... do you have to have the curved spoke? The Kat 98-02 wheel will go right in with very little work. In addtion, alot of people like the thought of going up to 4.5 on the rear as well (also the size of the post kat rear) and it also will go in with minimal work.

If you gotta have the curved wheel design, then I can't say yet it will work, but I am looking at the 03+ fork spacing and trying to work out if it would be an easier conversion option. Not sure what all that would entail on the swap options, but I'm researching as I can on it. I do know off hand that the triples of the 03+ would be a direct bolt in. How close on the spacing and such they are to the GSXR wheel to make it work, that's where I'll need to look alot deeper.

Krey
            just wanna match the gsxr rear rim in putting in, also i already have the matching front rim, as far as the rear im swaping in a gsxr swingarm
            Last edited by blitz2190; 05-17-2012, 03:24 PM.

confused katana build

Comment

just wanna match the gsxr rear rim in putting in, also i already have the matching front rim, as far as the rear im swaping in a gsxr swingarm
              What years are you talking about for each, the rear swingarm and the gsxr rear rim? (there are multiple spoke designs, axle sizes, and such so my answer to this would be diffrent depending on what you have now).

And Chris, yeah... I'm aware our conversation is primarly about a front wheel. Any mention of the rear is/was simply for matching spoke desing purposes.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

96, swingarm is 02 600 which if im not mistaken the rear wheel should bolt right into, atleast it did for a guy who did the swap on a gsxr forum from the 02 to his srad

confused katana build

Comment

96, swingarm is 02 600 which if im not mistaken the rear wheel should bolt right into, atleast it did for a guy who did the swap on a gsxr forum from the 02 to his srad

Both should use a 32mm axle setup so yeah, it should fit right in. Spacing for the wheel will be the same.

The rear wheel you have is a direct match for the 98-02 Katana front rim. That is also a minimal mod bolt in for the stock katana front end you have.

Just pick up one of those wheels to use for matching spokes and you will have a 3.5" front rim as well. You can then continue with the springs/emulators for the front and have a very good functioning front end with minimal mods needed to make it all work.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

and again krey to the rescue haha ty, now i just need to find a rim and find a home for the one i have it was basically given to me i paid 100 for it the rear rim with good tire axel (just in case) gsxr pegs rear caliper with arm and rear master brake cylinder and the subframe, btw anyone looking for the mid section subframe to a gsxr 96 with undertail its free to a good home on here just pay shipping which shouldn't be much as its aluminum, btw undertail is stock one not a good one lol

confused katana build

Comment

Working...
                    X