X
X

A question of speeding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my area, we had a really bad problem with street racing so the local track decided to introduce the Friday Night street Legals. It is inexpensive and fairly basic tech requirments. I'm not going to say it emiminated street racing but it did reduce it quite a bit. Maybe you could try and get a local track to offer more days for the average person?

I race my Cobra regularly in a safe environment where the chances of an accident are greatly reduced compared to the public roads. I love it and yes, I use to street race but have no interest in doing it now.
    2004 Honda ST1300
    1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
      Take the bike to the track, race others, wreck it, no coverage.
      But, if you are doing a time trial by yourself, no one else there, it is not a contest of speed, hey, coverage!
      Yeah that whole policy rubs me the wrong way. Some insurance co's count a track day as rider training and will cover you (you dont race at a trackday) whereas other companies (like mine) say "It's not on a public road so not covered."
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
        Actually, by one measure, I am an incredibly good rider. I say this because:
        1) I try to put the safety of others in danger.
        That makes a good rider?

Sorry, I know what you meant, and couldn't help it.

Comment

Yes, here in SoCal most accidents in our freeways during rush hour are due to speeding. Oh and our freeways were design to go 55 MPH then redesigned to 65 MPH by doing a few mods like changing the Max MPH signs.

Speeding is not the same as racing.
          Speeding is not the same is being a total inconsiderate a hole.

I have encountered more close calls by idiots doing the speed limit or less and doing improper lane changes, rolling through stop signs, driving in the fast lane slower than all other traffic forcing others to pass them on the right and creating a bigger hazard then a guy safely going 10 miles over the posted speed limit.

Everyone is so fast to start finger wagging when it comes to speeding but in my experience most traffic accidents are due to bad driving in general over speeding.

My comments are about speeding and not about the riding habits of the OP. There are plenty of posters who have commented on that.

Note: Residential, schools, parks or any similar area is off limits to me when it comes to speeding (often I go slower than the posted limit).
          http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

10mph over the posted speed limit is speeding but what it sounds like the OP was going for is knee dragging corners and doing 100+mph... he wants to push the bike. I say hit up the local tracks like everyone else suggested and see about getting companies and local law enforcers to try and arange safe track days for budget riders and maybe even cagers.
            1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
            1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
            Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Originally posted by wickeded View Post
              Y
              Everyone is so fast to start finger wagging when it comes to speeding but in my experience most traffic accidents are due to bad driving in general over speeding.
              The most common line I heard as an adjuster was "That car/bike came out of nowhere!".
              We used to joke about all these cars that came out of nowhere. Let's look at this from the other side of the coin:
              You make a lane change into a motorcycle on the freeway- you are at fault.
              You make a lane change into a motorcycle on the freeway that is doing 100mph- now liability can be argued, comparative negligence can apply to both, heck the guy in the car might have an adjuster who is digging his heels in and saying he was no at fault at all.

Comment

Most tracks that I have seen/ heard about will offer handsome discounts if you volunteer there. In Utah volunteering gets you 25/hr worth of track time. As a student myself, opportunities like this mean a lot. Have you considered working to get things instead of riding like an ***?
                Why are tracks expenive? Some people try to run companies so they can make money. You think that big facility and nice clear roads are cheap? Absolutely not. Like the next guy, the track needs to cover costs and make money.
                No other group is penalized for following their dreams... Are you serious? That is kind of what every law is for. People dream of blowing up buildings we penalize them. Want to have sex with kids, no dice there either. Want to speed and ride like an *** - get speeding tickets/ impounded or whatever else. Every ILLEGAL dream, like street racing, is penalized the same. In fact, I think that repeat speeding violations should be penalized much more severly than they are. If you won't slow down and respect other people on the road you should be stuck walking or riding the bus. You are no less dangerous than drunk drivers.

Short version if you don't want to read it: slow down or stay the hell off the road
                Last edited by lanerw; 05-16-2012, 02:49 AM. Reason: On my phone, messed up

Comment

I don't buy the "I only speed when it's only me at risk" BS. Fact is - on a public road in public areas - there are always others you place at risk. Problem is, with your head so far up your arse you wouldn't be aware of them. Secondly, it shows you have no respect / consideration for your own family and friends who are faced with a life of carnage while you push up daisies.

And let go of the victimisation card FFS. We're all societal victims here. The law that tries to protect me from knobs like you also protects you from people like me who can't stomach knobs. Would you support the "rights" of someone to speed on public roads after he has killed your mother / wife / daughter?

Comment

Sounds to me like you've never experienced the thrill of a giant dump truck, or mini van in your lane as you round the corner.

I trust my skills riding more than I trust any other driver on the road. I have a special hatred for mini-van drivers.

It's a proven fact that your abiltiy to react to circumstances decreases realative to the speed you are traveling at. Speed limits are designed to take into account the local conditions of an area. You have better reaction, and more room for error at 25mph vs 65mph.

Going out on the highway and weaving through traffice at 100mph+ is the kind of behavior that makes me want to squish you into the wall with my truck. Your actions directly affect others around you whether or not you perceive it.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Sounds to me like you've never experienced the thrill of a giant dump truck, or mini van in your lane as you round the corner.

I trust my skills riding more than I trust any other driver on the road. I have a special hatred for mini-van drivers.

It's a proven fact that your abiltiy to react to circumstances decreases realative to the speed you are traveling at. Speed limits are designed to take into account the local conditions of an area. You have better reaction, and more room for error at 25mph vs 65mph.

Going out on the highway and weaving through traffice at 100mph+ is the kind of behavior that makes me want to squish you into the wall with my truck. Your actions directly affect others around you whether or not you perceive it.
                      Or I can squish them with my mini-van lol... and yes I have one in fact I own 2 mini-vans lol
                      1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                      1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                      Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Originally posted by MotoKatana View Post
                        Hey guys. Wondering what your opinions are on this semi political question. First of all I've been riding and driving hard since 17, I have 3 years of experience ...
                        I stopped reading shortly after here. I remember what I was like when I was 20 (heck, I'm only 31 as is), and just...no.

10/10ths riding/driving is not to be done on public roads. Been there, done that, and had to get pulled out of the ditch at least once. (Thank god I got that bit of stupidity out when I was still a cager)

Honestly anything over 6-7/10s on the road is a bad idea, though up to 8/10s is forgivable in my book for short spurts (classic no traffic rules apply).

Anything beyond that is to be reserved for closed-circuit courses.
                        Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                        H. L. Mencken

Comment

This is what happens when you own a high performance car/motorcycle as a daily driver. It seems like a great idea to buy a bike that pushes 180+mph until you find yourself never getting it out of 2nd gear without breaking every speed limit is sight. Vehicles have gotten way faster, handle better, but roads haven't increased their speed limits and drivers have gotten worse and more distracted in my opinion.
                          Every other driver I pass to and from work everyday is playing on their cell phones/ipods, drinking coffee, putting on make-up, everything except driving and paying attention. Honestly, Women in SUV's scare me the most!
                          With all that said, the most fun bike I've ever owned was a ninja 250. I could ride the mess out of that thing and never really get in over my head or break too many road limits. The same roads on my Katana are honestly less fun.
                          Tracks do cost $ but it's the safest bet for really using the bike for it's intended purpose..
                          sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                            I don't buy the "I only speed when it's only me at risk" BS. Fact is - on a public road in public areas - there are always others you place at risk. Problem is, with your head so far up your arse you wouldn't be aware of them.
                            This is a lie.

Under the right circumstances, you can ride as fast as you want without putting others at risk.

Divided highway, no traffic for miles = nobody else at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Holocene View Post
                              This is a lie.

Under the right circumstances, you can ride as fast as you want without putting others at risk.

Divided highway, no traffic for miles = nobody else at risk.
                              I take it you have no family?
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                                I take it you have no family?
                                This argument really doesn't hold water.

Just look at all the pro race car drivers etc who have family.

People die doing that too.

Comment

Working...
                                X