No announcement yet.
X

A few questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i won't argue with you that a 530 last longer and please don't tell me what i can and cannot feel while i respect your opinion everyone has their own, and rotational mass does affect how fast a motor can spin up be a bike, a car, or a go-kart btw ~8lbs of rotaional mass does have some effect
    Last edited by blitz2190; 05-15-2012, 04:32 PM.
    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
    confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
      i won't argue with you that a 530 last longer and please don't tell me what i can and cannot feel while i respect your opinion everyone has their own, and rotational mass does affect how fast a motor can spin up be a bike, a car, or a go-kart btw ~8lbs of rotaional mass does have some effect
      you are right that rotating mass has an effect on acceleration.. if you put a V8 flywheel on a 4 cylinder GSXR 1000 it would take a while to get to top RPM's because it has that much more weight to spin up (newtons 2nd law).. that being said, ther will be very little differance between a 530 and 520 especially with our heavy bikes. i feel a differance with mine (i went for a 530 to 520) but i also changed the gearing to suit my needs a little better.

Originally posted by shadowrider View Post
      I like this, a pro/con approach. Your saying a 530 outlasts a 520. The reduced mass is also negligible. Other than cheaper parts that wear faster there is no point. Right?
      there is a point to it tho.. if you are going to go the extra mile of reducing the sprung weight, adding HP, and better suspension/brakes than why not go to a chain that will gain that fraction of a second off your track time? (i do mean FRACTION! tho)

it just depends on what your doing with it? if your doing drastic weight reductions to get wicked track times on a kat then yes it would be dumb not to.. but if your just a street rider that doesn't like much throttle, then its a toss up between a hair off your track time that you don't even go to or longevity. i changed mine because i wanted a differant ratio and i liked the sprocket color
      Last edited by boomer_95; 05-15-2012, 04:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Well said Boomer! I like the idea of the 520 for options. Aesthetics are a huge part of a bike. I will be getting those pricy fairings from airline-streaming and having them fancied up so why not just do it for the looks since the performance gains are minimal, thats how I feel about it.
        `03 Shadow VLX
        `92 Kat 750 Project
        ~M109R in the near future
        Originally posted by arsenic
        Oil's like religion, there's a million of them and yours is wrong.

Comment

how bad are the plastics to need new ones, only asking because that couple hundred could do wonders suspension
          never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

confused katana build

Comment

how bad are the plastics to need new ones, only asking because that couple hundred could do wonders suspension
            totally agree.. i had to replace mine but thats only because i was missing more than half of both front fairings.. plastic welding is fairly simple, and only requires you have a soldering gun/iron and some zipties or theres always plastic epoxy. not my choice but to each there own

Comment

I have no belly pan but could possibly salvage the rest. Pretty rashed where the belly pan meets up and broken in random other places. I just figured I would buy the sides in long form and eliminate the separate belly pan. I dropped my tank and it dented pretty good around the gas cap.
              `03 Shadow VLX
              `92 Kat 750 Project
              ~M109R in the near future
              Originally posted by arsenic
              Oil's like religion, there's a million of them and yours is wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the input krey I was hoping you would pop in on this one. Here is where I stand with the swingarm though. I have no welder and all the shops I have been asking want roughly 300 for the welds,thats not mentioning buying the SA/rim and all the goodies, stupid and outrageous. Is there a better way, say have one of you guys paid to do it or should I just stick with current stuff? As afar as the rear shock goes I really dont want higher because I am only 5'10" and feel comfortable with the seat height now. I dont use the center stand so ditching it is no big deal. I do like the 520 conversion. I am not to worried about making money on it if I sell it either, its a big boy toy to me. Performance wise how is the 1127 to the B12?
                $300 locally isn't bad. Not sure what all that entails at that price though. I charge $250 + swingarm + shipping to mod the arms for others. Yes, you still need to acquire the wheel, axle, spacers, and othe misc stuff for the swap depending on the route you take. Counting everyting, the avg 5.5" swap is gonna be in the $600 range before paint.

Ditching the center stand isn't going to make your bike faster. If THAT is enough of a performance gain that it's actually makes a differece... skip the next sandwich instead.

The 1127 and B12 are going to be very similiar performance wise. The B12 will be slightly more about lower end vs the 1127 slightly more towards top end. Either engines "built" will give you the same thing.

If it was actually anywhere remotely near 8lbs difference between a 530 and 520 setup, you might have some kind of a point... I might even consider your argument. But so far you have provided little of any information that has been actually been real world accurate or helpful. Seriously... At has been said, it's all in your head. How's this for a number... the total weight (both sprockets and chain) for the OEM 530 setup is UNDER 8 lbs total. It's 7.5lbs aprox. Swapping in the 520 wtih an aluminum sprocket was barely 2lbs diff. If you think in your head that you "notice" a difference, then you should stay there more... If 2lbs is making that big of a difference... Skip the samwich, mkay?

Well said Boomer! I like the idea of the 520 for options. Aesthetics are a huge part of a bike. I will be getting those pricy fairings from airline-streaming and having them fancied up so why not just do it for the looks since the performance gains are minimal, thats how I feel about it.
                GSXFJim can make you any tooth count sprocket you want, and if you want something that looks really nice... he's more than able to custom it up for you. I originally got a 520 because of the lack of options... it's no longer the reason to need a 520.

For example...

Jus sayn....

Anyways, if your going with the 1127 or B12... stick with the 530 and speak with Jim. He can hook you up. And last time I priced em... his custom sprockets were very much well with in price line of the basic repetative mass produced stuff out there.

Yes... I'm a huge fan of his work, it's really good.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

like i said everyone has an opinion and hey if you happen to think its in my head then great i like it in here anyways

confused katana build

Comment

So the lesson here is if you think a 520 swap is a performance gain...stop eating sammiches.

Got it.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i'm eating my damn samich lol

confused katana build

Comment

krey are those all gsxfjims? and 530 at that? if i knew that i would have got them instead of the 520 i got from the kat outlet store
                        i like the use of plate holders to hold the first few up as well
                        Last edited by boomer_95; 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                          krey are those all gsxfjims? and 530 at that? if i knew that i would have got them instead of the 520 i got from the kat outlet store
                          i like the use of plate holders to hold the first few up as well

All of those are GSXFJim's work. He can make them in any tooth count, or for any chain pitch you want. You tell him what you want, he makes it custom to your order.

I have another one in the works with him right now. The pitch and tooth count was the easy decision... all the really cool color options and custom stuff is what we are working out now..

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

would he be able to do an offset front sprocket? im looking at putting a gsxr swingarm on mine and it looks like it will need to be offset but dunno yet

confused katana build

Comment

would he be able to do an offset front sprocket? im looking at putting a gsxr swingarm on mine and it looks like it will need to be offset but dunno yet

Yes, he can/did/does make offset sprockets. See pic 4 for one of the rear offset sprockets he's done.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                                Yes, he can/did/does make offset sprockets. See pic 4 for one of the rear offset sprockets he's done.

Krey
                                yea i saw that thats what got me interested in the front one I'll have to get a hold of him when i do my swap and have some measurements

also was that an inverted offset as in towards the wheel?

confused katana build

Comment

Working...
                                X