X

New to the forum few tech ?'s 88 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum few tech ?'s 88 kat

how's it going everyone just purchased my first bike an 88 katana, pearl white with blue. I am a entry level tech going to universal technical institute to become a better tech, i have basic knowledge and know how to diagnose so dont be afraid to get technical with me. The bike is not running I've purchased a battery and need to charge it, apon tear down, I come across the valve cover loose without a gasket, #4 plug wire is cut away for some odd reason so it needs replaced . The carbs are spotless as well has the head it self, the bike reads 10044 miles, THE oddest thing the valve cover has a cut in the top where u can see the cam chain, why in the world would someone do that?? an I have a few questions,

1, link to a website with spark plugs and wires an what looks to be a selinoid the wires come out of?
    2, link to purchase a valve cover gasket, an possibly a valve cover if my cover is ruined because the previous person cut a hole in it.
    3, the 2 relays next to the battery by the circuit breaker with the red dot in the middle, what do they control?
    If someone has any of these parts forsale I will Forsure purchase them from you.

welcome to KR
    search the Katana wiki and you will probably be able to find a service manual link
    A general search may help you find members here that have used covers etc

the red button is a main breaker , button is for reseting
    it usually get tripped by guys when they try to boost the bike with a running car
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Welcome to KR.
      http://www.ebay.com
      http://www.bikebandit.com
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by McCool3232 View Post
        how's it going everyone just purchased my first bike an 88 katana, pearl white with blue. I am a entry level tech going to universal technical institute to become a better tech, i have basic knowledge and know how to diagnose so dont be afraid to get technical with me. The bike is not running I've purchased a battery and need to charge it, apon tear down, I come across the valve cover loose without a gasket, #4 plug wire is cut away for some odd reason so it needs replaced . The carbs are spotless as well has the head it self, the bike reads 10044 miles, THE oddest thing the valve cover has a cut in the top where u can see the cam chain, why in the world would someone do that?? an I have a few questions,

1, link to a website with spark plugs and wires an what looks to be a selinoid the wires come out of?
        2, link to purchase a valve cover gasket, an possibly a valve cover if my cover is ruined because the previous person cut a hole in it.
        3, the 2 relays next to the battery by the circuit breaker with the red dot in the middle, what do they control?
        If someone has any of these parts forsale I will Forsure purchase them from you.
        Sorry, but I call this into question when you think the spark plug wires come out of a solenoid and not a coil. Nothing personal, but that's basic engine knowledge.

That said, hit up Bikebandit.com or Ronayers.com for the parts you need. SPark plugs may be found cheaper at your local automotive store. Valve cover gasket from one of the previous websites, and a valve cover will be best sourced on Ebay or Craigslist.

The carbs, did you open the float bowls and look at them or just look at the outside? You can't tell anything from the outside, you need to take the bowls off and have a look see. Odds are good you will need to take them apart and thoroughly clean them, which means new parts and carb dip.

The red dot is the main circuit breaker, one relay is for the starter, not sure what the other one is as I have a post (98+) Kat and not a Pre (98 and older) Kat. There are differences that you'll pick up the more you hang around.

Comment

That hole in the top of your valve cover may be where the breather connects. See parts 13&14 here: http://www.mthollykawasaki.com/fiche...1988&fveh=2119
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Haha no your right I jus said it looks like a selinoid, i wasn't thinking right obviously my mistake that was stupid of me. An yes I opened the carbs theyre clean as can be they must of been redone not a spec inside them. What about the valve cover itself though, I know it's missing a peice but the cut seems like to much ventaliation to me
            Last edited by McCool3232; 04-10-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Welcome!
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Yeah, That hole doesn't look factory to me. Think a valve cover may be in your future.. What kinda parts you hunting. Lots og people on here parting bikes. Myself included but mines getting pretty well stripped. Get together a parts list and odds are somene will have what you need.
                When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

No it's not. That is factory. That is how the valve cover looks without the breather cover on. You need a gasket and a breather cover. And the 4 bolts that hold it on. This thing:

But stock it's silver, not blue.

Comment

It looks to me like they cut it bigger though, I'm just goin to purchase a valve cover there's one on eBay for a good price with a gasket so it works out

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X