X

Why would oil disappear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would oil disappear?

I have no leaks on my bike, but all the oil that was in it it somehow disappeared. I've never put oil in it since I bought it, and didn't need it until now. It has no leaks, so why would the oil disappear. Could the PO have put in car oil and it burned off, or what. Any thoughts?
    "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
    "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Never put oil in it....how many miles is that? Did you ever check the sight glass on the side?

Comment

Yeah, it was full when I bought it and never got low until I rode it all summer this year. And Ive put about 4,000 miles on it this summer. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Drinknthink View Post
        Yeah, it was full when I bought it and never got low until I rode it all summer this year. And Ive put about 4,000 miles on it this summer. Any thoughts?
        Yeah, you've burned it off. Should change it now according to the manual. Also, it may have come out the breather tube as a mist that is connected to your airbox.

It's normal to use oil, especially on an oil cooled bike. The oil tends to get really hot and thin, and gets eaten easily. Best to keep an eye on it, especially with that nice handy sight glass on the side.

Comment

Oil doesn't 'disappear', but yes I agreee it has burned off and I also think you should keep up with oil changes.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Beens your in the southern belt where temps reach the 100+ oil will disapate more rapidly than than cooler climates. running 4k on the oil doesnt help as the manuall states 3k mile intervals.
            "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
            1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
            2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

The manual states 3k mile intervals because it was written in the eighties...just fyi...
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                X