Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Differences in 1100F Models? +A little used bike advice...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in 1100F Models? +A little used bike advice...

For a bit of background, last year I bought a '88 GSX600F that turned out to be a serious lemon. It was my first bike and I really didn't know any better. It has 33,000 hard miles: infrequent oil changes, plugs fouled, clutch worn, tires shot, fiberglass cracked at mounting points, seat cracked, etcetera. With new oil, filters, and a clutch adjustment it runs pretty good. I've gotten a little experience on it, but I still want an upgrade before I have to put a chain and tires on it...

I've really got my heart set on a 1100F, but they aren't easy to find. I've looked at a couple that weren't buyable and really only have found one I've considered buying and it's a bargain, but it's a '88 model with about 24,000 miles (but well maintained I believe, frequent oil changes with Suzuki oil for example, new plugs, new battery etcetera).

Now, according to SuzukiCycles.org there was some major revisisons after the '88 model year for the 1100F, does anyone know how significant these are? Can someone really put them into perspective for me? The website says that the '89 and later 1100's sported larger carbs, a reinforced rear frame section, a rear shock reservoir, different front shocks, rubber engine mounts (to reduce vibrations), and a longer swingarm/wheelbase. Are these differences enough for me to pass on this bike? I feel like if these were problems only on one model year I shouldn't pull the trigger on that lone model so fast...

Is there anything I should do or check with this suspension if I buy the bike? I've read that at least the rear suspension is adjustable and it can benefit from stiffening up, is this true? I'm about 6'3" and about 200 lbs so should I worry about tweaking the suspension? Is there any modifications I could make to alleviate these problems (vibration problems as well)? I'd appreciate anything you could mention that I should check before I buy it, especially something relative to the 1100 model, but I'll take any "used bike" advice in general. I've really only rode two bikes in my life so I don't really know what to look for in suspension "problems" when test driving a bike, anything on this subject would really help as well.

Thanks,
    Travis
    Last edited by GibTG; 09-15-2011, 10:31 PM.

Plan on upgrading the fork springs and shock. Contact T-Mod about that for specifics and costs. He's the suspension guy.

The 88 runs well and I don't think the carbs are different on the 1100. I haven't heard anyone moaning about problems with it that would have been better if they bought an 89-93. I highly recommend upgrading the wheels to 17" rims, though. The bike handles like a much lighter machine with them.

Oh, and Welcome!
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thank you, if that's that all that really has to be done I imagine it's a good buy. It's only $1800 with only a couple minor scratches.

Anyone else have something to add?

Comment

carbs are the same

if you get the 1988 you need to put progressive springs in the front the stok ones are way to soft with 16 inch rimes the bike dos handl a bit hevey but you get uest to that the best thing about the 1100 are the motors lots of power throut all the revs and there very strong and thay look good my 88 is grate i can take it slow or open it up and go hard

Comment

1993 kat

I have a mint 1993 for sale new tires, chain and spockets battery brakes ,well maintained .I am a suzuki mech for the past 35 years asking $4000 also has a corbin seat.20,000 miles
          Last edited by rothem; 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rothem View Post
            I have a mint 1993 for sale new tires, chain and spockets battery brakes ,well maintained .I am a suzuki mech for the past 35 years asking $4000 also has a corbin seat.20,000 miles
            Dude give it a rest.

Comment

Does that include dinner first?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Does that include dinner first?
                At least a reach around.

Comment

First breaking the 50 post rule for selling. Second don't show up places like this claiming to have been a Suzuki tech. Arsenic can because he has the knowledge and skill to back it up. And I'm sure he will agree with me that saying your a tech wont sell your bike any quicker due too most techs not being very knowledgeable much less any good at their jobs. Third, 4,000? That's a bad joke right? I wouldn't pay that in the spring much less at the beginning of winter.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Pretty much ALL Suzuki techs I know have a friggin' clue what their bike is worth. They also ALL know that a Katana isn't worth dick. But good luck.

Comment

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to buy me a drink before you try to f*** me
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Did they have MMI 35 years ago? I believe what we have here is an MMI graduate.

Comment

With a price like that, I'm pretty sure it was a different MMI..... Madoff Mechanic Institute
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

clowns

I FORGOT more than you *** clowns will ever know about bikes!

Comment

I bet you have.
                              For example, you FORGOT how much a GSX1100F is worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X