X

OK, I cant take it anymore..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I cant take it anymore..

A few of you may have heard my rants about my neighbor and his bikes for those that havent well.

My neighbor has an 84 Honda Rebel, nearly identical to the one I had back when I first started riding. and also a 2005 Honda Shadow, which he has since gotten rid of and now has a Suzuki Volusia .. anyhow, the bikes are parked outside without shelter or even a cover, and I can count on both hands the number of times Ive seen him and or his wife ride this entire year. Both are beautiful bikes, but over the course of this year Ive walked by those bikes, every single day and slowly watched as the rotors are rusting, the exhaust, the header pipes are really bad, and basically every bolt on the bike showing some kind of rust, not to mention the chrome is so dull you cant even see yourself in it. The volusia is starting to show similar signs now as well.

Its not my business because they arent my bikes but as a rider and someone who values my bike.. it just kills me every day to see these beautiful machines going to waste way before they're time. Sorry just had to rant but Im this close to either buying the guy 2 motorcycle covers and leaving them on his door step or asking him if he atleast considered a storage unit for them or something. Again Ive only seen this guy now and then becuase of the hours I work so I cant say I know him from adam or anything about him, but comon if you can afford a 2005 shadow, a new volusia, and the rebel to boot, cant you atleast afford 20.00 on ebay for bike covers ????

Fair rant. Send him an early xmas card and write in there that it's breaking your heart...

Or maybe it's he simply doesn't have anyone to ride with?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Nah his wife or girlfriend rides the rebel. Some of the few occasions Ive seen the bikes gone they've came back together each riding one. So yeah it just bugs me even though I hate to nose in someone's business like that. Even crunchie mutters to herself now at seeing those bikes just deteriorate like that.

Comment

Seen it before . Some people don't care about their TOYS . One of my neighbors was the same way until I started talkijng bikes with him one day . Suddenly it was like he realised how COOL these things are , and started making an effort to take better care of his , AND is trying to become a better rider . Let him borrow THE book , and he says he's buying himself a copy soon .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Go over and check the chains on the bikes....if they are rusted or showing signs of rust or are dirty...go over and with a cleaning brush start cleaning is and lubing it...when he comes out he'll be mad but then tell him that his life was endangered and he'll calm down...then talk bikes with him...or buy a large tarp and cover the bikes and leave a note telling him how concerned you are for his saftey and that riding a deteriorated bike not only endagers his life but the lives of everyone out there...maybe that'll shock him...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I would try talking to him or her first and let them know about the safety concerns. They may be the type of people that could get offended if you touch their property. Or they may appreciate it but definetly talk to them first. Thats my 2 cents. And oh ya i wouldnt like to see those bikes rot either but some people just dont care.

Ride On,
            Jon
            Ride On,
            Jon

Comment

I hate to see neglected bikes. At least a tarp or cover!!!

Comment

Screw talking to them Just knock them over and tell him the rust got the better of them and they fell over. They comitted Bikeacide(sp)

No really just talk to them. They may know how to ride them but not know how to actually take care of the bike. Like the old saying Give a man fish he will eat for one day but teach him how to fish he can eat everyday or something to that effect.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
                  ...Like the old saying Give a man fish he will eat for one day but teach him how to fish he can eat everyday or something to that effect.
                  Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he will go out and buy expensive fishing equipment, stupid looking clothes, a sports utility vehicle, travel 1000 miles to the "hottest" fishing spot, and stand waist deep in cold water just so he can outsmart a fish. (Average cost per fish: $395.68)

Author not identified.

Comment

I think I owe it to those bikes, and my conscience to atleast offer to help him winterize or give him a spare tarp which I dont have but would willing to buy for the good of the bikes. The worst he can do is slam the door in my face or gripe at me right?

Comment

Machines are inanimate objects. They don't have feelings. Racing bikes and cars often have very short lives and come to violent ends, yet we don't see that as abuse.

I know your feelings. I do all that I can for my vehicles. My pocket bike seems so much happier after I moved it from the cold garage to the heated basement (gas tank emptied).

My suggestion is to look for a moment to chat with the guy, and mention that he may have to watch out for rust on the bikes. He is probably new to bikes, and has no knowledge of what he should or shouldn't be doing.

Last year I had to call authorities about a neighbor who didn't know how to take care of his horses in the winter. He made a shelter for them real fast.

Comment

I personally wouldnt worry about it. Its his stuff, let him F### them up. I Worry enough about my own stuff to be worrying about someone elses shit!!!
                        I dont have the time to worry about someone elses stuff, and besides dont you think he wouldve already covered them if he gave a F###. You might be wasting your time, and breath......
                        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Report him to the Police department if he is a jerk about it...tell them you are concerned about the saftey of drivers and riders on the road...they may do nothing but at least your concience is clear...
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I knocked on his door today because I saw one of the cars home, but nobody answered. We'll see if I can catch him tonite.

In the long run whether I talk to him or not or whether he does anything about it will make no difference in the grand scheme of things, but if he truely not very knowledgable about bike maint. , care, riding, etc. and I can do my part to atleast enlighten him then Ive done a good deed and thats all I can really expect.. I can hope for more, but cant expect much more.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                              I knocked on his door today because I saw one of the cars home, but nobody answered. We'll see if I can catch him tonite.

In the long run whether I talk to him or not or whether he does anything about it will make no difference in the grand scheme of things, but if he truely not very knowledgable about bike maint. , care, riding, etc. and I can do my part to atleast enlighten him then Ive done a good deed and thats all I can really expect.. I can hope for more, but cant expect much more.
                              you are a much more concerned citizen than i am. personally, i agree with blkpitbull on this. and like harrye says...they are just inanimate objects. some of us may be a bit more concerned about our bikes because we take pride in them, and usually have to fit them in a budget. some just see them as an object, like you would a pair of skis, a tennis racket, a mountain bike....or any other toy. and some have plenty of cash to burn.

if you come knocking at my door to talk about how i care for my bikes, i am not sure how i would react. honestly, i would be tempted to tell you to mind your own business. after all, it can be sort of taken like an insult....similar as if you said to a women, "you could stand to lose a few pounds", although maybe a bit less dangerous. my point is that it could sound like critisism. so be ready for the consequences.

personally i would save my "door knocking" for something a bit more important, such as child/animal abuse, loud music, domestic squabbles.
                              but if you do knock on his door again, try not to even mention the neglect to his bikes. start by asking him if he is interested in going for a ride sometime. if he accepts, form a bond with him. at least wait until you know him a bit before bringing up the bikes...and then do it with tact. maybe mention he has some nice bikes, and jokingly add that they would be even nicer if cleaned up a bit. at leasdt this way the odds are better that you meet a new riding buddy. starting off by pointing out his neglect is risky. you could end up with a door slammed in your face.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X