X

Gas is running out sooner than it should

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas is running out sooner than it should

So I've got a 2000 Katana 600 that I purchased not to long ago. I'm extremely happy with it! It's been great from the moment I bought it till last week. It began acting very strange and the amount of km's I would get to a tank started lowering. I use to get over 250 to a tank but now I'm getting 165 to a tank. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm thinking of it could possibly be the spark plugs? Does anyone know what could be the main cause of this problem?

Stock bike? Any other symptoms?
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yup it's stock. There has been something else that seems different. The clutch has been acting unusual. Other than that everything has been fine.

Comment

Originally posted by GsxTito View Post
        The clutch has been acting unusual.
        Whats unusual? Does it feel like it's slipping? If so that might be causing some of your fuel efficiency problems.

Comment

Need much more info to diagnose such a vague problem.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Lately when I take off in first gear, I have to let the clutch out much more before it engages.

Lately when I take off in first gear, I have to let the clutch out much more before it engages.

Sorry I don't have much more information about the problem. It's difficult to describe and explain.
            Last edited by GsxTito; 08-01-2011, 12:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Your carbs are letting fuel into the oil.

Check the oil (smells of fuel?)

Check the float needles are seating (fill the fuel line, and then blow on it hard. If anything moves, you have at least 1 needle not seating right).

If this is the problem... drain and replace the oil. Clean the carbs and adjust/check them on the bench the problem is fixed prior to installing them again. Check your petcock is working right, and fix if nessasary.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X