X

Good deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good deal?

I'm bike shopping and looking specifically for one as close as possible to the one I lost, an '02-'06 750 in black. E-bay, cycletrader and local dealerships have nothing, but Craigslist had several (except color).

But to the point: I've only gotten one response from CL. Everythings right except for the older egg-shaped taillights not the wide oval ones such as I like on the later models, but no biggie.

This guy sounds like he's seen Biker Boys too many times. He says it's been bored out, he thinks to about a 1000. He's got a jet kit and a yoshimura exhaust (slip-on I'm sure). Originally he asked $2700 in the ad; on our phone call he voluntarily dropped to 2300 then quickly to two grand even. Said a local dealership offered him 2k even as trade in value, so that's all he wants for it (trade for a 'Busa, the Kat was his 1st bike).

Also he said that the front fork(s) is/are bent. Said it seems to ride just fine, except that "the radiator is warping the front plastics" - meaning I think the oil-cooler is melting the front tire hugger. This tells me (1) the bike may have been wrecked, and (2) might not be safe to ride home.

We meet Sunday. For two grand I'll have money left over for a new set of forks if that's all it needs. I'm mostly worried that this guy just did random stuff to the engine to make it faster but didn't do things as a "package" where the additions work in harmony. He's offered to give me the information for the mechanic that's done all the work. Oh and he said the neutral sensor fades in and out, and won't start with the kickstand down especially when the engine's cold.

In as long as I've been on this site, I've rarely or never heard of boring the engine for more power; although I hear it all the time from ghetto people. Am I on the verge of buying a faster bike, or are there problems with this that are more likely to screw things up?

Way I see it, I've got 3 options and the first two are simple and straightforward.

(1) be glad that I'm getting a good deal, especially since the bike I want is hard to find and it's practically sitting in my lap. Just know that I'll have some maintenance expenses, which I would anyway.

(2) don't put my life at risk if it doesn't seem safe to ride.

Option (3) is to let him trade it in, then buy it from the dealership after they've done what it takes it get it in a safe, rideable condition. I'll pay more for it, but probably less than what I would having to pay his 2-grand + retail prices for the same maintenance.

Thoughts / suggestions?
    The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

I think that sounds scary as hell and would run screaming from that guy.

Buy this one and i'll personally deliver it for $50. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2340840023.html
    Last edited by 5forty2; 04-28-2011, 12:22 AM.
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

I personally wouldnt go for it just becuase I myself and dozens of friends have had problems with used bikes that the people supposedly bored out. If the forks are bent and its been wrecked most likely the rim, trees and frame are bent aswell. Also I dont know why the radiator would be warping the front plastics unless its getting retardedly hot or its tweaked out of position. I say save your cash and keep looking for one to pop up or get one in another color and paint it
      Find a bike with a stock motor that has miles than mine and ill personally send you a certificate declaring your awesomness

Comment

I think you can find better

Have you done a www.searchtempest.com search from your zip?

I saw a few interesting ones pop up if your willing to travel up to say... 200 miles.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Here is a black one. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2277354577.html
          Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Comment

@ 5forty2 - I'm in Houston not Dallas; my cutoff is about a 3, maybe 4 hour drive. There's another one in Temple TX that looks like a winner, 'cept I've sent a message and got no response. Probably sold but I'll give it the ol' squeaky wheel treatment.

@ Kreylyn - you're like an ol KatMaster around here, your opinion carries weight - except I get better search results using CL myself, but I'll remember your suggestion in the future.

The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

I was just saying if you find one up here, I can help get it to you.

Comment

1. Skip that first one. I wouldn't even bother to go look at it. "possible bent forks"?! "Bored out to MAYBE 1000 cc"?! The guy hasn't a clue what's been done to that bike and he's abused it.
                2. Talk to 5forty2. I'd PM him your phone number. 5 minutes talking could save you days of going back and forth on here. Sounds to me like he's well aware of the fact you live in Houston and maybe makes regular trips down there.
                3. Try crazedlist.org It lets you search Craigslist ads in multiple areas.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If you had to go with any option go with option 3.

That being said, I'd wait it out a little longer and try and find a different one. If someone messed up the forks on the bike they OBVIOUSLY aren't taking care of it.
                  "...Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams" W.B. Yeats

Comment

No... There will be other bikes...
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

Hell...get the first bike, and then buy my possibly ferrari engine'd, bored out, bent frame'd Vega.

Both make about as much sense.
                      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                      Semper Fi

Comment

If the front fender is meted a bit the bike was running hot / lean

I would put $ that the engine is 100% stock

neutral switch and kickstand are an easy fix

Overall I wouldn't say that its my first choice, but if he dropped the price even more I would think about it. Hell call him and offer 1500
                        '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Bill that crazedlist.org seems like a great resource, unfortunately for me it wont work with IE, says I need FF.
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I wouldn't buy that bike w/someone else's money. It's bad enough when you pay $200 for a bike that is screwed up to hell and back by a stupid PO. To pay $2k? Just walk away...
                            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

The warped forks sounds bad to me. Not only because the forks are warped, but if thats damaged I cant imagine what else is wrong with it
                              Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

Working...
                              X