X

VFR800 vs F4i vs ZX-6R

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFR800 vs F4i vs ZX-6R

So I find myself at a crossroads where I have come to you knowledgeable folk to use you as a wall to bounce ideas off of.

I sold my f4i two seasons ago and I have been itching to get back into it ever since and I am currently trying to decide which bike to go with.

My three choices are:

2002 Honda VFR800

Details: 29,XXX miles, a K&N filter, throttlemeister, and some other mods. He is asking 3700 I would probably offer 3500 or so.

Thoughts: I loved my Katana and a touring bike that has a side of supersport in it seems like the ticket in a lot of ways. However I have heard that the VTEC that kicks in (lulz) is a really pronounced thing and can mess up your lines/etc. Also, the bike has a lot of miles although I know they can go up to a lot of miles if properly maintained.

I feel as though it would be rather hard to sell for a decent amount of money.

2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

16,000 miles. Would most likely buy a fairing kit as he states they have some rash. He is asking 4500 but the kbb on a GOOD one is 4200, so I would offer him 3000-3500.

Thoughts: Although it is a supersport and would have extra ****ty ergos....it is pretty. Like pretty pretty. Aside from that I am sure I would be able to flip it for at least what I paid if I decided to sell it next season.

2003 Honda CBR600F4i

2,900 miles. He is asking 4000 I would probably offer 3500.

Thoughts: The exact color combination I want on an F4i. The last year they made it without the banana seat. Practically brand new. Unmolested...no mismatched and lost screws to be found here. The ONLY thing keeping me from driving to that city and looking in every garage for the bike to buy it is the fact that I have already had an F4i...and I feel as though I would want to try something different.

Overall It is mostly between the F4i and the VFR...and I really hate how high the mileage is on the VFR. I really want to try something new and the F4i was a little bit uncomfortable for me but I feel as though I'd be an idiot to pass up the F4i in the color combination I want with such low, unmolested mileage. The ZX-6R is sexy as hell but I do not really feel like sourcing new plastic fairings and dealing with the bull**** of an abusive owner.

Thoughts? If you guys have any suggestions, especially in the pricing region (I am offering too much, they want too much, etc.), let me know.

Regards,
    -Duo Maxwell

**EDIT**
    Hmmm.....this is slightly tempting as well....http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...346941702.html
    Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 04-27-2011, 02:59 AM.
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

That is a tough lineup to pick from. I would be pretty cautious about the ZX6R. Sport bikes tend to get beat to **** from people running them hard and not taking care of them. Plus new fairings are expensive. I like the F4I. You owned one before, but that one looks clean. The VFR would be nice though. Id like to have a full on sport touring bike. Probably for the price and quality I would pick the F4I.

Comment

Originally posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
      So I find myself at a crossroads where I have come to you knowledgeable folk to use you as a wall to bounce ideas off of.

I sold my f4i two seasons ago and I have been itching to get back into it ever since and I am currently trying to decide which bike to go with.

My three choices are:

2002 Honda VFR800

Details: 29,XXX miles, a K&N filter, throttlemeister, and some other mods. He is asking 3700 I would probably offer 3500 or so.

Thoughts: I loved my Katana and a touring bike that has a side of supersport in it seems like the ticket in a lot of ways. However I have heard that the VTEC that kicks in (lulz) is a really pronounced thing and can mess up your lines/etc. Also, the bike has a lot of miles although I know they can go up to a lot of miles if properly maintained.

2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

16,000 miles. Would most likely buy a fairing kit as he states they have some rash. He is asking 4500 but the kbb on a GOOD one is 4200, so I would offer him 3000-3500.

Thoughts: Although it is a supersport and would have extra ****ty ergos....it is pretty. Like pretty pretty. Aside from that I am sure I would be able to flip it for at least what I paid if I decided to sell it next season.

2003 Honda CBR600F4i

Thoughts: The exact color combination I want on an F4i. The last year they made it without the banana seat. Practically brand new. Unmolested...no mismatched and lost screws to be found here. The ONLY thing keeping me from driving to that city and looking in every garage for the bike to buy it is the fact that I have already had an F4i...and I feel as though I would want to try something different.

Overall It is mostly between the F4i and the VFR...and I really hate how high the mileage is on the VFR. I really want to try something new and the F4i was a little bit uncomfortable for me but I feel as though I'd be an idiot to pass up the F4i in the color combination I want with such low, unmolested mileage. The ZX-6R is sexy as hell but I do not really feel like sourcing new plastic fairings and dealing with the bull**** of an abusive owner.

Thoughts? If you guys have any suggestions, especially in the pricing region (I am offering too much, they want too much, etc.), let me know.

Regards,
      -Duo Maxwell

**EDIT**
      Hmmm.....this is slightly tempting as well....http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...346941702.html
      First off, don't be willing to throw out offers without even looking at the bikes first. If I were the guy with the zx6r and u came and test rode the bike and everything and then offered me 3k, id tell you to go suck a big one. No offence. but offering 1k less than asking price is lowballing. I would be insulted.

As for the vfr, i would go with a vfr that does not have the vtec. they run a lot smoother. The bike is piped, which i dont care for on a sport touring bike due to the loud noise. to me the vfr sounds great with stock exhaust.

back to the zx6r, it has been down before. I WOULD NEVER buy a bike thats been down. even it was dropped in a garage. you just never know!

To me it sounds like you are VERY unsure about what you want. what you need to do is make a list with MUST HAVES and WOULD LIKE TO HAVES.... example... if a must have is a very comfortable bike that can go long distances.... your not going to put the zx6r in that must have catagory cause it isnt comfortable. get my drift? if what you have on the must have list doesnt match any of the specific bikes keep looking. Just ask yourself what type of riding you do... that will greatly impact your decision!
      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
      Current Bikes:
      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
        First off, don't be willing to throw out offers without even looking at the bikes first. If I were the guy with the zx6r and u came and test rode the bike and everything and then offered me 3k, id tell you to go suck a big one. No offence. but offering 1k less than asking price is lowballing. I would be insulted.

I quite honestly wouldn't even go out. I already texted him and told him that his asking price is up there in my opinion, and if he would consider coming down to the 3000-3500 region I would be interested. People in the DC area have a habit of asking waaaaay too much for their bikes. Blue book on that bike is 4360 in DEALER SELLING CONDITION and he's asking for 4500 for one that has a cracked front fairing, gashed/cracked side fairings, and missing mirrors and a brake handle. He can respond and say that he wants more than blue book for a beat up bike or take it as a crap offer and not respond.

As for the vfr, i would go with a vfr that does not have the vtec. they run a lot smoother. The bike is piped, which i dont care for on a sport touring bike due to the loud noise. to me the vfr sounds great with stock exhaust.

Yeah I didn't think about the pipe on it. That V4 sounds awesome though. I'd have to see how obnoxious the two brothers is in person.

back to the zx6r, it has been down before. I WOULD NEVER buy a bike thats been down. even it was dropped in a garage. you just never know!

With a thorough inspection I would. Fairings are nothing. If the bike tracks straight and passes a pre-inspection I'll take it off someone's hands. I have purchased plenty of downed bikes in the past where I replaced a fairing or two and you never would have known it was down.

To me it sounds like you are VERY unsure about what you want. what you need to do is make a list with MUST HAVES and WOULD LIKE TO HAVES.... example... if a must have is a very comfortable bike that can go long distances.... your not going to put the zx6r in that must have catagory cause it isnt comfortable. get my drift? if what you have on the must have list doesnt match any of the specific bikes keep looking. Just ask yourself what type of riding you do... that will greatly impact your decision!
        I am not really looking for a specific kind of bike...I am looking for a specific price range. 3000-4500. Beyond that my criteria is pretty much anything that catches my eye, looks decently clean, and will serve my purpose of having another toy in the driveway/garage.

Regards,
        -Duo
        Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Comment

The VFR is an amazing machine with one thing the others don't have: a V-4. I don't think I'd go for that one, though. 29,000 miles is nothing on a VFR but the aftermarket exhaust and non-stock paint job says it's probably been dropped. Keep looking.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

the vfr is a great allaround bike. if I ever change the kat its going to be a vfr.

another thing is that the vfr community over here is known for being a good community with great ride togethers etc.

community is important too.
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

2002 Honda VFR800
              -First model year of the new bike. Solid all around bikes, but have some electrical gremlins. Many complained about the VTEC kicking in at a strange point, it was later lowered the point where it kicked in. It makes valve adjustments a nightmare if your going to do your own, and if your going to have someone else do it, make sure you trust them, because many times the VTEC valves get skipped, but you still pay extra. I'd own one, but I'd make it an 06+

2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R
              The differentest bike on the list, a proper sport bike. Not that familiar.

2003 Honda CBR600F4i
              The kat with a little more power and a little less weight. Still a very capable bike in the right hands, but with more comfi ergos. One of the Gap locals runs one, and has literal beat the crap out of it, and it keeps going. Seriously, Honda Kat.

Now all that said, you are buying at the worst possible time of year. Wait a couple months and prices will usually drop a bit. Wait six plus months and you'll be able to name your price.

Dudes an idiot, and it's been crashed.
              Last edited by thetable; 04-27-2011, 07:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I grabbed a VFR in late 09. An 06 with 3500 miles for $5000, one season later she now has 15,000 miles on her. The one your looking at has only been ridden 3.5K a year which to me is very low.

The vtec transition was smoothed out in the 06+ model, but the PC on that one may smooth it out too. Make sure all the recall work has been done on any VFR your looking at. BTW find out if and when the valves were done, the Vtec valve adjustment is freaking expensive !!!!

Personally I find the VFR like the Kat weight wise and riding position, but she's smoother on the highway that the Kat ever was.
                Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                  BTW find out if and when the valves were done, the Vtec valve adjustment is freaking expensive !!!!
                  And hard to verify that the shop actually did it. Of course it's expensive, it's basically like doing the valve adjust twice, if I remember the procedure correctly. Of course, from what most owners are reporting, vtec valves really only needs to be done at the first interval. They do a good job of staying put after that.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

A sport touring bike, a sporty bike, and a real race bike. Which do you want?

And yes, if you offered me 3500 for my 06 636 I would physically assault you...most 636 owners would do the same. Do NOT try to lowball the guy, he knows what he has. The 636 is a phenomenal bike, you pay to own one.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I think them to be overprice, I'd walk. Looking at the ads in my local Craig's List, I think some people think that their bikes are made of pure gold. Don't be afraid to offer much less. F--ck them, offer what you think it is worth, less $500. If they refuse, there are plenty more fish in the sea. There are a lot of people out there with the wolves barking at the front door and would love to see some cash.
                      Made me think- my sister has wanted a table top music box for years (pays giant steel discs), saw an ad in CL for one for $4000 (worth around $12,000), 3 hours away. She called the lady and seller said "Honey, I'll sell it to the first person that shows up with $2,000 cash".
                      My sister drove through a bad snowstorm to pick that up!

Comment

YOUR SCREEN NAME IS AWESOME

ok enough fanboy-ing

My three choices are:

2002 Honda VFR800

2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

2003 Honda CBR600F4i

Regards,
                        -Duo Maxwell

**EDIT**

Comment

The ONLY thing keeping me from driving to that city and looking in every garage for the bike to buy it is the fact that I have already had an F4i...and I feel as though I would want to try something different.
                          Are you keeping the Kat? Really want to try something different?
                          http://annapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2343365706.html WR250X
                          http://www.romneycycles.com/new_vehi...91&pov=1894668 DRZ400SM
                          or look at one of the knobby tire versions of the above. Should get better mileage than any of the other bikes you are looking, and they are incredibly fun to toss around through the twisties.

Want to find better deals than CL without all the scams, check out the Fleamarket on ADVRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet

Comment

The drz is the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. I want one bad...
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              The drz is the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. I want one bad...
                              +1 Ive been on a lookout for another decent one
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                              X