Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What tool to use to remove links of a chain.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tool to use to remove links of a chain.

What tool to use to remove links of a chain? my new chain is a little too long and i have to remove 2-3 links and would like some advice on how to do so. i know a simple yet retarded question.
    J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

I use a 4" angle grinder..
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

i use an air grinder, a punch, a hammer, and like a 1" socket to take it apart.... remember you can always remove a link down the road after it stretches a little but you cant add more..... and i mean they do sell a tool to do this, but that's no fun!
      "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
      2004 marauder 800

Comment

or something simmilar. some people hate those cheap stuff but I cant see why. even if they work only once and you buy a new one next time its still worth it.
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I read a review on that one a while back and it wasn't bad (especially for the price). Big thing was to take it all the way apart and grease all the threads really well.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The harbor freigh unit looks pretty good... cant beat that price either. However it looks like its only a breaker and not a riveter.

I have the EK chain press tool

I paid $80 for mine but I change chains weekly with mine in the shop as well as road side repairs so needed a really good tool.
            for the at home ..once every couple years that tool will be fine.

FWIW if you want it to last forever dont break a chain without grinding off the head of the rivet first. Also when pressing a link you dont need to "He-man" the tool and crank it down... use the tool as it was designed... press on the link plate on, then mushroom the rivet link... many chain come with link press plates so you dont over tighten them... hang on to these for the future
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-17-2011, 10:57 AM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

The harbor freight tool will rivit too.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Some compound W and a little C-4 will make a dent in that link ......well if it doesnt itll get rid of your warts and we wont hear from ya for a bit ......many bits
                j.k
                I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

dang, if i knew i could pick up a tool for 15 bucks i wouldnt have payed the shop to install mine for 50....

Comment

sweet good deal, im omw right now to pick it up. I got a Harbor freight less then 2 miles from my house thanks again guys much appreciated.
                    J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

Dremel...
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My thoughts on cheap tools... Not worth a damned penny, but here ya go.
                        Sometimes cheap tools DON'T get the job done, and you have wasted time and $$$.
                        I almost never use a tool only once. If I needed it once, I will probably need it again.
                        I usually buy tools that are made in the USA if at all possible - even if the bike isn't.
                        Douglas Derby
                        Sturgis ATV and Small Engine Repair

'04 Suzy Kat 600

Comment

I bought the Motion Pro chain tool after this happened using the harbor frieght tool the first time.
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Harbor freights hand tools are warrantied for life. Bring it back... I used their tool to break the chain and rivet the master link.

Comment

Hahahahahahaha, ouch man.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X