X

building a clear clutch cover

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a clear clutch cover

so, i decided to go for it. i have an extra clutch cover for my 750 kat motor and decided to try my hand at building a clear cover for the bike.

so first I used a 5 in bi-metal hole saw to cut the window out of the cover

1.jpg

2.jpg

then i stuck it back on to see what it would look like (couldnt resist)
    3.jpg

cut out the lexan ( hard to do since you cant use a hole saw)
    4.jpg

so now we have to deal with the inside so we can mount the window, i used a dremel and cut off wheels to cut the "tabs" off and grind smooth.
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

then here is a prefit of the window (its blue cause the protective film is still on it)
    8.jpg

now i drill and tap holes for bolts ( for decoration purposes)

9.jpg

so then i use the dremel to cut the bolts off and grind smooth from the inside

12.jpg
    13.jpg

here are the bolts after they are cut.

14.jpg

and the almost finished product.
    15.jpg

now i have not attached the window yet because i want to paint the cover first. as well as the bolts.

but when i do attach i will jb weld the window from the inside. i will also use rtv to seal any holes so the oil wont spill out.

unfortunately it will be a while before i get to test it cause its going in my fighter project.

Comment

looking cool
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Looking sweet, nice job

So the bolts are just for looks, not actually holding the "window" in place?
        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
          Looking sweet, nice job

So the bolts are just for looks, not actually holding the "window" in place?

yea i would have bolted it on if i built a ring and mounted the window from the outside. but hopefully this works and stays sealed. only time will tell

Comment

bolt clearances may prevent that from working though...

Originally posted by Trueblood View Post
            yea i would have bolted it on if i built a ring and mounted the window from the outside. but hopefully this works and stays sealed. only time will tell
            cause the clutch windo might be very close to moving parts
            Last edited by il_ragazzo; 03-02-2011, 02:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

do not use RTV use threebond 1211 or 1194

I have made several and have never had a great seal unless I used an Oring to seal them up or make a gasket, and seal both sides of the gasket. even then you need to bolt the glass in. JBweld wont hold up to the extreme heat and vibrations very well
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Cool idea!

Comment

interesting to see, what is the window made of?

Comment

that's a novel ider

Comment

I was actually thinking of this today right before I saw this thread. Good job mate!
                      "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

the window is 1/4 in lexan, the lexan will not stain (it may after a while but lexan is more resistant than regular plexi) from the oil and it does not have to be that thinck because there is really no case pressure on the clutch side.

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                        do not use RTV use threebond 1211 or 1194

I have made several and have never had a great seal unless I used an Oring to seal them up or make a gasket, and seal both sides of the gasket. even then you need to bolt the glass in. JBweld wont hold up to the extreme heat and vibrations very well
                        thankx for the info bro. did you use nuts on the back of the bolt or did you just tap threads into the case and glass and use locktite
                        Last edited by Trueblood; 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think mine was 3/8" plexi ... I counter sunk flange nuts into the plastic and spread my bolts about 2" apart. Once I had it all set up I used a black gasket paper from Napa and a bit of 1194 on each surface before putting it together.
                          My first one I still had oil weeping around the bottom, so I had to tear it apart, clean it then re-sealed it a second time but this time I used sealant on each bolt and then used an epoxy to seal around the edges and the nuts.

My second one I made it fit on the outside... that was so much easier to seal up and no clearance issues using nuts

BTW remove the pressure plate and polish it.... it looks sick and oil wont stick to it
                          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                            I think mine was 3/8" plexi ... I counter sunk flange nuts into the plastic and spread my bolts about 2" apart. Once I had it all set up I used a black gasket paper from Napa and a bit of 1194 on each surface before putting it together.
                            My first one I still had oil weeping around the bottom, so I had to tear it apart, clean it then re-sealed it a second time but this time I used sealant on each bolt and then used an epoxy to seal around the edges and the nuts.

My second one I made it fit on the outside... that was so much easier to seal up and no clearance issues using nuts

BTW remove the pressure plate and polish it.... it looks sick and oil wont stick to it

thankx man, i atcually have been doing some research and i am going to take the plate to be powder coated to match the accent color of the bike. the guys over on the fighter forum have done this with good results. but polishing sounds awesome too. do you need to keep polishing it?

Comment

no once its polished it will stay nice for years
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                              X