X

Broke the bank at the dealer today :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke the bank at the dealer today :(

Spring is around the corner... So i went to my local motorcycle dealership and got the basics for a tune up for both my kat and my zx14. I ordered 8 plugs, 8 qts of synthetic oil, 2 oil filters with crush gaskets, 2 air cleaners, a small tank bag ($20), . i was shocked to find out that it costed me $345!!! I almost had a heart attack. good thing i only need to replace the plugs every two years and the air cleaner every 3. I prolly coulda reused my old air cleaner but might as well change everything else while in the process of having the bike ripped apart.
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Why didn't you try to do it all yourself? just wondering....
    '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

For that much stuff, I would have gone mail order, you'd get it in a week, be a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by rob845 View Post
        Why didn't you try to do it all yourself? just wondering....

from the sound of it he is doing it himself, just shocked how much the stealership charges for the parts required. BB.com or Motorcyclesuperstore.com FTW
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          from the sound of it he is doing it himself, just shocked how much the stealership charges for the parts required. BB.com or Motorcyclesuperstore.com FTW
          Crap, I thought he was having them do it.. I try to stay away form the dealer. Advanced auto parts, O'Riley's etc. usually has MC parts ( filters, oil, plugs etc. )
          '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Wow, I hope they took you to dinner first...

**** that.

2yrs for plugs?!? Where the hell did you get that?
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              Wow, I hope they took you to dinner first...

**** that.

2yrs for plugs?!? Where the hell did you get that?
              Plugs get changed every 8000 miles according to the owners manuals.. i put on 4k miles on each bike each year. i work a ton and go to school so i dont put many miles on the bikes..... Bike bandit wasnt much cheaper.. neither was ron ayers. i checked into it. But yea synthetic oil was $10 a qt. plugs were 40 something for 4 and the air cleaners were 50 a piece. And i am doing the work myself. I dont trust the young inexperinced kids that dont know their arse from a hole in the ground to touch my bikes. I have custom painted Suzuki labeled valve caps that went missing after i got my tires changed. so i do that myself now too thx to my uncles tire changer
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Wow, 8k miles on plugs? Guessing the bike companies have some interest in NGK because that's garbage.

My 636 manuals (both gens) dont call for replacement until 20k miles...

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yea.... Car spark plugs are good for like 60k miles before they should usually be changed out.... NGK makes my car spark plugs and they have over 55k on them (in the truck) and are still firing like new. I probably wouldn't change the bike plugs for 20-30k.
                  Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

First off, mainly regarding the oil, Rotella T6 is the best, and it's $20/gal at your local Wal-Mart.
                    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
                      First off, mainly regarding the oil, Rotella T6 is the best, and it's $20/gal at your local Wal-Mart.
                      Decent? Definitely.

The best? Not even CLOSE!

And this is from someone who runs the T6 for most of the season...

Comment

I changed the plugs in my truck at 250 000 km /150 000 miles they looked fine and truck ran great.

I'm a fan of iridium or platinum plugs
                        Blackdog
                        DRz-400e plated
                        Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          Wow, 8k miles on plugs? Guessing the bike companies have some interest in NGK because that's garbage.

My 636 manuals (both gens) dont call for replacement until 20k miles...
                          THats what im thinking... i mean plugs dont go bad THAT fast. its a quick way to make money. NGK and the Manufacturers prolly have quite a good relationship
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

you can get plugs on amazon for $4-$5 bucks a piece....i know iron pony was gonna charge me $9 each so i got four off amazon for $27....same exact part number....
                            Godspeed
                            CSBA #1167
                            Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Standard NGK (DR8ES?) plugs are $2.50 each near me. My KTM/Honda dealer tried charging me $12 for a plug once. That was funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X