X

lowing a kat...??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowing a kat...??

i know this should probly be under the susp section but i want to ask a few other questions also lol first.....has anyone ever lowerd a kat..i mean really lowerd one not just an inch...also is there a way to lower the front without tearing down the forks and such.....

also are there any other carbs that fit the 750 motor..and what are the pro and cons to running pod filters and not an airbox ive seen guys do it on other bikes but not a kat so i just wanted to know if its safe

and has anyone ever put a 300 rear tire on a kat?? will a 750(lot of motor mods) turn a 300 rear tire ok??
    I always saw Wile E. Coyote as some sort of Sisyphus-like protagonist: endlessly re-enacting the futility and sorrow of the human experience through failed attempts at overcoming obstacles via technological advancement. The Roadrunner is a Hades figure, endlessly tormenting him with what he wants, just out of reach in an eternal desert. Meep meep

I made some steel lowering links for my Kat... and had it lowered on the 2" drop hole for a few weeks..then I went down to the 4" hole. I rode it to work, and then adjusted it to the 2" hole before I came home...dragging the tire on the inner fender was not a feeling I like (and being a big guy...doesn't help). My Kat was only done like this for a short time- I put them back to the stock height on my links, but wound up removing the links due to it hitting against the center stand. Also, speaking of the centerstand....doesn't go to well when the bike is lowered...too much weight to try and lift it higher to get it on the stand. The links I made now live in my roll around shop cart. As for the front... never did that.

I won't lower the bike again, I never got used to the center of gravity with the lowered bike and high speed cornering...
    Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

im not sure i will like it but it never hurts to try lol i like the look but i bet the feel it totaly diffrent lol .....i might get a kat to just hack up and test ideas on lol
      I always saw Wile E. Coyote as some sort of Sisyphus-like protagonist: endlessly re-enacting the futility and sorrow of the human experience through failed attempts at overcoming obstacles via technological advancement. The Roadrunner is a Hades figure, endlessly tormenting him with what he wants, just out of reach in an eternal desert. Meep meep

Comment

You might be able to get away with lowering the bike a couple inches riding down there in FL where there's no twisty roads, but head north and try riding someplace like say Deals Gap, and you'll most likely be scraping at least the footpegs. If you had fairings you'd scrape those too.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

Hell my bike isnt lowered and i live in Florida and have scraped the pegs a few times... Lowered bikes look good but are not even close to being practical well that is unless you only like straight lines.
          Originally posted by chrisgreer23
          Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
          2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
          1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
          2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
          1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

yeah i can drag peg and knee around here on these back roads lol and the motor was built for straight line use lol but i couldnt keep in on the track lol its to fun to ride on the street....the bike is also 3'' longer with a 180 rear tire....i just think some one should trick out a kat like people do busas .....ive learned that most guys laugh at katanas and talk **** about them and ive put a few in there place lol

Comment

To lower the front you just hang a couple 45 lb weights off each handlebar.
              That ought to lower the front a little

Comment

Wow, 300 tire and slammed? Just buy a civic with a fart can

Even with major mods, a kat 750 engine will still be putting out around what a stock 600 rr does.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                  To lower the front you just hang a couple 45 lb weights off each handlebar.
                  That ought to lower the front a little
                  lol wow really?? guess that could do it if you have stock forks and havent upgraded the internals, but why would you want to add more weight to an already heavy bike? lol I hope you were joking. but to lower the front just loosen the triples an slide the forks up higher into them. but I would only do this up to a certain point. then I'm sure you can shorten them internally.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

nah i wouldnt slam it on a 300 rear tire lol just want to know if its been done..i may change my 180 to a 190 or 200 lol but nohting more and lowing for drag nights at the track lol

Comment

i got some lowering links off ebay for 20 bucks. lowered it 3 inches in the back, and droped the front 1 inch throught the triple trees. i love the way it feels. i live in ky, and most all my roads are straight. it has shifted my weight back in the seat a little and makes the seat a lot more comfortable. i am 5-10 and weigh 200 lbs. it really feels good. got a kickstand off ebay for 2 bucks and cut it down . i have also talen the rimms off and am having them powder coated from black to metalic silver to kinda brighten things up. i am also going to put some blue LEDs on it. cant wait to get it finished. good luck with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                        You might be able to get away with lowering the bike a couple inches riding down there in FL where there's no twisty roads, but head north and try riding someplace like say Deals Gap, and you'll most likely be scraping at least the footpegs. If you had fairings you'd scrape those too.
                        Lauri's bike is lowered 2 inches and I did not scrape the fairings when I hammered it up the skyway though I did touch one of the peg feelers...
                        I am a Penn State fanatic.
                        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

if you can't find twisties in ky you aint lookin hard enough
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                            if you can't find twisties in ky you aint lookin at all
                            Fixed that for ya.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

lol thanks scotty
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Working...