X

Twisted!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisted!!

A search on e-bay for Katana stuff resulted in this ad. It's a camera mount. Not that I'm looking for one but it interested me. Well, embeded in the ad is a video of the action it records.

Now is it just me, or is this guys nuts! Winding road, driving too fast.

At 4:16 he is doing 99 mph and only able to see down the road about 100 feet.

Then at 6:08 he passes on a curve and hill at 90mph in a no passing zone.

Even if he is familiar with the road, no amount of knowledge of the roadway (or skill) will compensate for a sudden animal in the road at this speed. His days are numbered.

What kinda bike is he riding. 15,000 redline and he gets close to that?

I'm curious how many here drive like this?

I have to admit, I DON"T!

1997 Katana 600
    Sold
    2006 Katana 600 Salvage

Originally posted by strolltroll View Post
    A search on e-bay for Katana stuff resulted in this ad. It's a camera mount. Not that I'm looking for one but it interested me. Well, embeded in the ad is a video of the action it records.

Now is it just me, or is this guys nuts! Winding road, driving too fast.

At 4:16 he is doing 99 mph and only able to see down the road about 100 feet.

Then at 6:08 he passes on a curve and hill at 90mph in a no passing zone.

Even if he is familiar with the road, no amount of knowledge of the roadway (or skill) will compensate for a sudden animal in the road at this speed. His days are numbered.

What kinda bike is he riding. 15,000 redline and he gets close to that?

I'm curious how many here drive like this?

I have to admit, I DON"T!
    Its a CBR600 and err.umm no comment
    I would never pass going up a blind hill though, but I have videos of me well in the tripple digets. And well wheelies, i can't help it. im childish, what can I say
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 11-10-2010, 10:06 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MX-aCpL5CE&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Cobb mountain[/ame]

youtube video that's embedded before the auction closes and we can't view it.

He's not too far from me. yeah that's a nice road to ride but too busy for what he was doing on it.
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

i do believe that the speedo is in kph not mph, scenery doesn't look to be passing by fast enough to be doing 80 mph most of the way. an if im completely wrong about it being in kilometres then he may have a death wish to be going that fast on mountain roads??
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

no 99mph sounds possible (but not reasonable) to me. i see people do it every time i ride through there.

that's not really that twisty of a road to be honest.
          Last edited by il_ragazzo; 11-10-2010, 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
            i do believe that the speedo is in kph not mph, scenery doesn't look to be passing by fast enough to be doing 80 mph most of the way. an if im completely wrong about it being in kilometres then he may have a death wish to be going that fast on mountain roads??
            I was thinking the same thing. Anyone else have an opinion????
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Speedo has to be in miles, film always seems to make driving look slower and there is no way he is in 3rd on that bike at 80km/h, unless the back sprocket is the size of the back wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                Its a CBR600 and err.umm no comment
                I would never pass going up a blind hill though, but I have videos of me well in the tripple digets. And well wheelies, i can't help it. im childish, what can I say
                When I was younger I did some crazy things, but this seems a bit more dangerous than what I have attempted. Triple digits and wheelies are one thing but to ad curvy roads and hills, are another.

I'm just lucky I didn't have a fast bike back then, just the Yamaha 650 Special.

1997 Katana 600
                Sold
                2006 Katana 600 Salvage

Comment

My thoughts on the "blind hill" it looks like a pretty mild slope, and maybe the low mount of the camera obstructs some of the view, who knows, maybe he can see just fine ahead. Then again if he gets smashed by a full size pick up it's not me or my bike so I'm not worried.

Just hope he makes it long enough for me to buy one of these mounts cause they look pretty damn cool.

Comment

That's definitely MPH.

For one, I don't think they'd have signs that would say the turn should be 15 or 20 km/h, which would be 9 mph :P (correct me if I'm wrong).

Cobb mountain is located in California, so m/h

Comment

no kidding it is in CA no one said it wasn't, that has nothing whatsoever to do with 'it has to be mph', so because cobb mountain is in CA none of our Canadian brothers and sisters can go there? K guess none of my friends in Toronto can ride down an visit me anymore either?
                      Originally posted by rf08d View Post
                      That's definitely MPH.

For one, I don't think they'd have signs that would say the turn should be 15 or 20 km/h, which would be 9 mph :P (correct me if I'm wrong).

Cobb mountain is located in California, so m/h
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Perspective....

Car traveling at 35mph abouts and the bike is traveling at 50mph but accelerates to 90mph... passing is gonna be quick, per the vid from commiting when the aceleration hits to back in his lane completed passing... 4 seconds...

Meaning the truck traveled just over 200 feet in the total time frame for the bike to pass. An on coming car would probably have been traveling around the same speed for that road. 35mph abouts. So, being able to see 450 feet ahead would have given enough room to pass. (I'm not talking playing it safe... just sucessful.)

The vid shows he was able to see that far ahead at the least. Even if it was a hill.

Again, it's a matter of perspective. I watched most of the vid and thought it was pretty tame. A few wheelies with out other traffic, the speed vs curves wasn't that impressive for most of the ride, the lines he took for alot of the road showed to me he wasn't really pushing that hard...

But then this area (where I live) has many roads significantly more technical than what I saw in the vid and local riders learn to ride them... at about the same speeds in the vid. I've seen a few for example of a ride down 128 into the dragon that topped speeds of 125mph...

If your coming from florida, I can see that it might look crazy. To me, it looked like an average spirited ride.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

this isn't that twisty of a road. out here about 50 miles from cobb mountain is a road named mosquito ridge road. Mosquito Ridge Road is a twisty road. cobb mtn is nice relaxing road.
                          once again i see people passing me on that road all the time when i cruise through at about 65mph.
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                            no kidding it is in CA no one said it wasn't, that has nothing whatsoever to do with 'it has to be mph', so because cobb mountain is in CA none of our Canadian brothers and sisters can go there? K guess none of my friends in Toronto can ride down an visit me anymore either?

How did you go off in this tangent?

I misread and thought he was referring to the road signs/location of the place. Don't get too tight now, you're not the only foreigner here.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet his back sprocket is over-sized causing his speedo to read higher than it actually is.

Does anyone know where the speedo pickup is located on the CBR?
                              Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                              X