Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New mufflers just not doin' it for me...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mufflers just not doin' it for me...

With all the mags showing the new bikes ocming out, I can't help but notice a trend of stubby short mufflers. IMHO they destroyed the looks of the GSXRs. BMW is using a muffler that looks like a Thermos bottle and the other manufacturers seem to be following suit. I was'nt a big fan of the underseat trend (except for the original Ducati 916/996 because that whole bike was the holy grail of bike design to me) and now this!!! Give me old school mufflers in titanium, aluminum, or carbon fibre anyday!!
    Just venting a bit. Who agrees??

I do....I am not an undertail fan (only thing I hate about the new Daytona 675) and those new trapezoidal cans look chunky.

I blame the public...they need new bells and whistles to justify buying a new bike....so designers AND engineers want to come up with the next craze. When a bike gets a major restyle...it quickly makes the old bike less desireable....so now my beautiful Daytona 600 which held its value with the launch of the 05 650 is now worth CONSIDERABLY less with the anticipated April launch of the 675.....so its for sale NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by Range
      .....so its for sale NOW!

WTF....
      I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by Range
        I do....I am not an undertail fan (only thing I hate about the new Daytona 675) and those new trapezoidal cans look chunky.

I blame the public...they need new bells and whistles to justify buying a new bike....so designers AND engineers want to come up with the next craze. When a bike gets a major restyle...it quickly makes the old bike less desireable....so now my beautiful Daytona 600 which held its value with the launch of the 05 650 is now worth CONSIDERABLY less with the anticipated April launch of the 675.....so its for sale NOW!
        huh? I don't understand. you sort of blame the public for the new trends, whichs sounds like you disapprove, but yet you want to sell your bike cuz the new trend was released....which sounds like you follow trends.
        so i am hoping your reason for selling is to take less of a loss now than later....and not just cuz you have to keep up with the trends. you don't strike me as the type who has to have the new model just cuz of mage or anything.....right?
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
          I must admit I don't see the point of an undertail exhaust. I would imagine that it would heat up the seating area and make passengers uncomfortable. Hopefully, engineers had considered this in their design.
          Underseat exhausts have two strengths in their favor:
          Cornering clearance (nothing sticking out to the side to reduce the cornering clearance;
          Longer total exhaust run permits easier complaince with noise control requirements for OEM systems.

The shorter, stubbier exhausts have two advantages of their own:
          Better mass centralization (front-to-back), makes the bike easier to turn/redirect;
          Permits integration of the catalytic converters that most '06 model year bikes need to pass the new EPA Tier-1 and EURO-3 pollution standards.

All that said, I live in Florida and don't like roasting my chestnuts over an open fire, especially on a day that's already 95 degrees outside (and 120 over the asphault at a traffic light); a short, stubby is fine by me.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok this is where the HD part of me comes out. Buell to be exact, the under bike exhaust is the best. equals the look of the vehicle much more. Undertail is kewl but how practical is it for two up riding? HOT seat LOL

Huge cans on the one side of the bike is FUGLY IMHO. Now they are starting this emmission's crap and wanting bike manufatures to put a catalyst muffler on their bikes WTF! where is it going to end? Aren't there enough limitations in this world? Maybe not!
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
              ok this is where the HD part of me comes out. Buell to be exact, the under bike exhaust is the best. equals the look of the vehicle much more. Undertail is kewl but how practical is it for two up riding? HOT seat LOL
              I have a question about the Buell exhausts: do they rust out prematurely in bad weather? I would think the opening location might be an issue if, like myself, you ride through the rain for hours on end... (but I still like the concept in general).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No, it isn't normal for them to rust there. The front or header pipe is stainless and the can too.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The major drawback as I see it to Buell's underneath design, is it increases overall height of the vehicle.

The stubbies look retarded, esp the R6.

Underseat is a joke. The longer exhaust run only applies to I4's. On a V2, it creates issues with having unequal length pipes and is a plumbing issue.

Okay, excluding people named Roberts, Hayden or Rossi, how many of you feel the big drawback to modern bikes is the lack of cornering clearance due to the EXHAUST?

Let me get the new Triumph math correct here - you are selling your bike b/c you are afraid it will depreciate with the release of the new model? Working against you is going to be the corresponding dealer markup on the new model, the initial large depreciation once you title the new vehicle and the presumed increase in insurance due to having a newer, pricier model. The old model will only depreciate to a certain amount and then remain fixed for some time. My 1990 katana in virtually any condition will always be worth about $1500, even if I keep it another 5 years.
                  I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

One of the coolest things is seeing a sweet arse exhaust on the side of bike. A nice new shiny hindle, yosh, etc.. it definately adds to the bike, but there is something to be said for the undertail as well. The points have already been mentioned for it benefits and concerns, but overall, I could go either way, w/ a slight edge to the undertail exhaust for the simple clean look it gives.

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                      Okay, excluding people named Roberts, Hayden or Rossi, how many of you feel the big drawback to modern bikes is the lack of cornering clearance due to the EXHAUST?
                      I know it's the limit for my right-handed corners on my Kat, but I think I'm the exception here (aside from HS). I'd move the exhaust to a high-mount position except that would entail giving up the Givi bags (and racks to support them), something I'm unwilling to do.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah Jimmy's exhaust is so low its on a first name basis w/ the asphalt!

Comment

Here's the best...just take the exhaust off...yep no pipe at all ...that way no limits in cornering, no hot seat...though you might end up deaf and the fumes would not taste too good...
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Working...
                          X